+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: best car you ever owned

Liked
    2216 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    ^^^ No reply in your post above about the C6 LS2/3 motors blowing up and catching fire on track. I have seen it multiple times.
    ...Except that Emilio was referring to the C6 Z06 which has a dry sump... so that reference is not necessary.

Those engine problems only exist on the base C6 model when you put race rubber on them and put it out on track with a capable driver. I agree that should not happen, but then again that is why the Z06, Grand Sport and ZR1s got dry sumps. They were targeting the track guy/racer, especially with the Grand Sport. The GS, to some extent, was intended to be bought and tracked or converted specifically to a class winning T1 race car. Hence the larger front brakes, dry sump, carbon fiber body option, etc.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1430 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    ...Except that Emilio was referring to the C6 Z06 which has a dry sump... so that reference is not necessary.

Those engine problems only exist on the base C6 model when you put race rubber on them and put it out on track with a capable driver. I agree that should not happen, but then again that is why the Z06, Grand Sport and ZR1s got dry sumps. They were targeting the track guy/racer, especially with the Grand Sport. The GS, to some extent, was intended to be bought and tracked or converted specifically to a class winning T1 race car. Hence the larger front brakes, dry sump, carbon fiber body option, etc.
    Pretty sure stock C6Z06s were blowing up with race rubber for a while.

Liked
    977 times

I've seen both engine and transmission explosions more than once on stock C6Z's at the track. I remember watching the transmission explode out of the back of one at ACS a couple of years ago.

Liked
    38 times

The C6Z has/had a valve-spring failure issue or something else valve train related if I remember correctly.

Liked
    984 times

Quote Originally Posted by Todd R View Post
    The C6Z has/had a valve-spring failure issue or something else valve train related if I remember correctly.
    Yes, they tend to drop exhaust valves and grenade the whole engine. Not sure if that was ever resolved by GM. Most track guys have their heads re-worked by WCCH.

Liked
    2216 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    I've seen both engine and transmission explosions more than once on stock C6Z's at the track. I remember watching the transmission explode out of the back of one at ACS a couple of years ago.
    I have not heard of transmission failures, but the early models of the C6Z06 were in need of a larger dry sump tank to which GM did change to at some point in the model.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    984 times

I have not heard of transmission failures, but the early models of the C6Z06 were in need of a larger dry sump tank to which GM did change to at some point in the model.
    I have not heard of any transmission issues either. They are pretty much bullet proof. Of course a money shift can fix that though...

Liked
    977 times

I have not heard of transmission failures
    You have now my friend

Liked
    434 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    I have not heard of any transmission issues either. They are pretty much bullet proof. Of course a money shift can fix that though...
    I agree, the tranny has to be abused to go bad in the Corvette. Now the diff is another story.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Liked
    378 times

Am I the only guy on this board who would choose the most successful production-based car in the history of motorsport?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2422 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
    Am I the only guy on this board who would choose the car with the most R&D money dumped into it for racing applications based on a 60 year old design?
    ftfy
    hakeem and bawareca like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    1 times

I havent owned too many cars but id have say my RX7 GTUs and my 10ae miata. Weak i know....

Liked
    2422 times

Quote Originally Posted by Saul_Good View Post
    I havent owned too many cars but id have say my RX7 GTUs and my 10ae miata. Weak i know....
    I remember doing a ride and drive in a GTU-S when they first came out. Really fun car once you got used to the passive rear steer.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    2320 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
    Am I the only guy on this board who would choose the most successful production-based car in the history of motorsport?
    now the most famous race cars in America are Fusion, Impala and Camry - see NASCAR audience.
    you don't see them on this thread, do you...
    bawareca likes this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    E36 M3. Perfect size, carry 4 people pretty comfortably, decent luggage room, great balance, fun to drift, great brakes, good gearbox, been super reliable for almost 200K now.
    I know I have mentioned this before here, but I had a '95 E36 M3 that I bought new. It was my daily driver for 8 years and 90,000 miles. Never tracked it because I stared tracking a year after I traded it in. Great car -- always loved it. However, I like the S2000 better.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    41 times

Here is another S2000 vote... I still have mine and probably will hold onto it for some time.

Liked
    2422 times

I know I have mentioned this before here, but I had a '95 E36 M3 that I bought new. It was my daily driver for 8 years and 90,000 miles. Never tracked it because I stared tracking a year after I traded it in. Great car -- always loved it. However, I like the S2000 better.
    I see a lot of car guys who really loved their E36's but don't hear the same for E46's. From what I gather, teh E36's were more robust, cheaper to maintain and a more responsive drivers car right out of the box. Having driven both a little, the E46 seems dumbed down, too stable, too heavy, too complex. The E36 embodied more of the spirit of the E30 M3 which is one the best bone stock drivers cars I have ever had the pleasure of driving. Speaking of which, I hear E30 M3's are getting premium dollars these days.
    bawareca likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    1 times

I have been debating recently in between an E36 M3 and an S2000. Honestly, I expected it to be the other way, but thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    I hear E30 M3's are getting premium dollars these days.
    That is no joke. Three years ago I decided I really wanted one and you could get one for about $15,000 in great shape, but now that same car will cost you $25,000+. I'm out of the market because of that.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    567 times

Is this thread 'best track-car you ever owned'?

I like tracking and in general driving my NSX more, but I still stand by my e36 as its a better all-around multi-purpose car. Then again my E90 is probably better in every regard but time will tell if it's as robust, reliable, and overall 'best' for me.

Emilio - I like the E46, but they overheated stock, had a more stressed motor (US-spec e36 was a reliable turd-bucket), and cracked parts of the chassis. Well so did the E36 that were pre-1999 (mine was a 99 that had the reinforcements from the factory). The E90/92 M3s also has a high-strung motor and more parts, but hopefully it'll be more reliable and the chassis is more robust, but time will tell.

I regret not buying an E30 (or two) a couple years ago at the 12-15K mark. Could have easily made 10K in a couple years. Even beat to crap ones are getting over 20K.

Liked
    367 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Is this thread 'best track-car you ever owned'?

I like tracking and in general driving my NSX more, but I still stand by my e36 as its a better all-around multi-purpose car. Then again my E90 is probably better in every regard but time will tell if it's as robust, reliable, and overall 'best' for me.

Emilio - I like the E46, but they overheated stock, had a more stressed motor (US-spec e36 was a reliable turd-bucket), and cracked parts of the chassis. Well so did the E36 that were pre-1999 (mine was a 99 that had the reinforcements from the factory). The E90/92 M3s also has a high-strung motor and more parts, but hopefully it'll be more reliable and the chassis is more robust, but time will tell.

I regret not buying an E30 (or two) a couple years ago at the 12-15K mark. Could have easily made 10K in a couple years. Even beat to crap ones are getting over 20K.

I knew you'd never pick Mustang. lol.
    Richard EVO and bawareca like this.
    Do you understand?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast