+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: best car you ever owned

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    51 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Why would you do 150 mph on Interstate 10?
    The reasons why are obvious. Why wouldn't you?
    emilio700 likes this.

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by jimt View Post
    I hope your dyslexia took over on this statement. The C6 is far and above the S2000 in every way.
    S2000 is not as handful as Corvette. Which I am not sure I can handle in the most difficult corner in America - Laguna's Turn 4 without crashing.
    Olitho, Richard EVO, Red_5 and 2 others like this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz14 View Post
    The reasons why are obvious. Why wouldn't you?
    I wouldn't because I grew up as a driver when I started running open track and later amateur racing on road courses. I don't need to drive at insane speeds on public roads and highways anymore, and I certainly don't need a 2-point ticket for driving over 100 mph.
    bawareca likes this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    S2000 is not as handful as Corvette. Which I am not sure I can handle in the most difficult corner in America - Laguna's Turn 4 without crashing.
    Touche . . .

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    434 times

Too soon. Besides, I would have wrecked my S2000 a dozen times if Buttonwillow or Willow had walls.

Are you talking about power or balance or both? In my experience, the Corvette has much better balance than the S2000. But of course the Corvette has wheel smoking power available that would make the daintiest Volt owner's panties drop.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Liked
    1 times

I agree, the corvette is an easier car to drive, the s2000 even with the significant horsepower gap is a handful to drive.

Liked
    19 times

Frs

Liked
    2282 times

Are you talking about power or balance or both? In my experience, the Corvette has much better balance than the S2000. But of course the Corvette has wheel smoking power available that would make the daintiest Volt owner's panties drop.
    to me, it is how everything feels. way transmission shifts, way clutch works, steering wheel feels, way I sit in the car, how free engine revs....
    in terms of balance, I would rate Miata first, Vette 2nd, S2000 3rd. but as a whole, it is S2000 first for me.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2395 times

I hope your dyslexia took over on this statement. The C6 is far and above the S2000 in every way.
    As a guy who has daily'd both, I'd say they are both very good.

S2000 is just a fine car, period. Reliable, fun to drive, low cost per mile, good resale.
    C6Z is more fun most of the time, good resale assuming you bought used, reliable. Handles better than S2000 with stock suspension/tires. Lots more room than S2000, quieter and rides better too.

I sold my AP1 because I wanted something with more torque. simply put. The AP1 handle like **** with the stock suspension. Stock 86, C6, MRS, RX8, Miata all handle better when stock. The AP1 can be made to handle quite well but requires
    significant mods. AP2 is easier to get handing well. C6 is good out of the box with little more than an alignment. Fully prepped, the C6 is a better handling car than a fully prepped S2000 and tons faster.

Really comes down to CPM. Any current S2000 owner would instantly switch to a C6 if they were told the buy in and CPM were exactly the same. IOW, guys drive S2000's because the budget doesn't allow for a daily or race C6. I'm one of those guys that can budget for a daily C6 but has to race a Miata . I think Burgoon is in the same camp. Bought a house and another cheap race car instead of racing a C6.
    bawareca likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    1477 times

to me, it is how everything feels. way transmission shifts, way clutch works, steering wheel feels, way I sit in the car, how free engine revs.... as a whole, it is S2000 first for me.
    Finally, you picked your ONE all time favorite car you ever owned. Why am I not surprised . . .

Liked
    1477 times

To me, this post comes down to: "You S2000 guys can't afford a C6Z, so you think your cars are better. You are wrong, trust me."

That ignores that a C6Z easily cost over twice what an S2000 cost new, among many other things. Like the C6 LS2/3 blowing up on track for lack of a dry sump oiling system. Plus the damn thing is so big. A sports car should be small and lithe. Like an S2000.

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    As a guy who has daily'd both, I'd say they are both very good.

S2000 is just a fine car, period. Reliable, fun to drive, low cost per mile, good resale.
    C6Z is more fun most of the time, good resale assuming you bought used, reliable. Handles better than S2000 with stock suspension/tires. Lots more room than S2000, quieter and rides better too.

I sold my AP1 because I wanted something with more torque. simply put. The AP1 handle like **** with the stock suspension. Stock 86, C6, MRS, RX8, Miata all handle better when stock. The AP1 can be made to handle quite well but requires
    significant mods. AP2 is easier to get handing well. C6 is good out of the box with little more than an alignment. Fully prepped, the C6 is a better handling car than a fully prepped S2000 and tons faster.

Really comes down to CPM. Any current S2000 owner would instantly switch to a C6 if they were told the buy in and CPM were exactly the same. IOW, guys drive S2000's because the budget doesn't allow for a daily or race C6. I'm one of those guys that can budget for a daily C6 but has to race a Miata . I think Burgoon is in the same camp. Bought a house and another cheap race car instead of racing a C6.

Liked
    133 times

I for sure haven't owned the "best" one yet. So far it's my 99 street/track miata.

Liked
    1477 times

I was watching Top Gear on TV a couple of nights ago. I guess it was a re-run, but it was relatively recent. The boys were trying to decide what was the Worst in the History of the World. They went through many choices, and the one I would have voted for was the Ferrari Mondial. But ultimately, they chose the Lexus SC 430 as the Worst car of all time. I'm not sure exactly why. But it was a funny episode.
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 08-21-2013 at 09:11 PM.

Liked
    2282 times

Finally, you picked your ONE all time favorite car you ever owned. Why am I not surprised . . .
    My best sports car. Yes.
    But you can't compare a sports car to a family car.
    Best sedan I've ever driven is Tesla S.
    While best fun car is a Miata.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1477 times

My best sports car. Yes.
    But you can't compare a sports car to a family car.
    Best sedan I've ever driven is Tesla S.
    While best fun car is a Miata.
    But that's not the question you asked. You wanted to know "what's the best car you ever owned?" You didn't say, pick one as a sports car, pick one as a family car, pick one for fun, pick your best tow vehicle, pick the safe slow car you want your 16-year-old to learn to drive on, pick the car you would allow your maid to go to the grocery store in, pick your fastest race car, pick pick pick. I suppose those all might be valid questions, but they are not what you asked.

S2000. Hands down . . .

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2395 times

To me, this post comes down to: "You S2000 guys can't afford a C6Z, so you think your cars are better. You are wrong, trust me."

That ignores that a C6Z easily cost over twice what an S2000 cost new, among many other things. Like the C6 LS2/3 blowing up on track for lack of a dry sump oiling system. Plus the damn thing is so big. A sports car should be small and lithe. Like an S2000.
    Price also only relevant to the poster. I still maintain that most S2K owners given a C6 Z06 for the same cash outlay would quickly become turncoats. Its a budgetary thing. The C6 does pretty much everything better. Hell they get better gas mileage. OK the seats are not great but the stock S2K seats are not exactly heaver either.

Scoring on fun/dollar ratio only, I'd pick a $2000 Craigslist Miata for fun/dollar ratio anyway. But the thread is about your personal opinion of best car. My take on that is most rewarding and enjoyable ownership experience, whatever that entails. For some, it's hard currency: CPM. For other is sexiness, others power/dollar, others utility.

RE: My reply in the thread drift comparing a C6 Z06 to an S2000. They both have hand built racing engines and are partially hand built cars. Honda took a few years to get the F20C right, it was called and F22C by then 7 years later. LS7 was close but also not quite right. Needed a few internal tweaks and the bigger oiling system from the ZR1 a few years later. As delivered, the AP2 is quite nice and comparable to C6Z in overall fun and enjoyment. The AP1, not so much. No clear an undeniable winner. Personal preference. Again, having owned both, the C6Z had far greater utility, get better mileage, is sexier, faster, has excellent resale value and.. the stock exhaust sounds better. Nyah
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ No reply in your post above about the C6 LS2/3 motors blowing up and catching fire on track. I have seen it multiple times.

Liked
    1486 times

Ouch! You better put some ice down there before "they" start to swell.
    Olitho and bellwilliam like this.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Ouch! You better put some ice down there before "they" start to swell.
    A post from our official Dentist of trackHQ . . .

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

E36 M3. Perfect size, carry 4 people pretty comfortably, decent luggage room, great balance, fun to drift, great brakes, good gearbox, been super reliable for almost 200K now.
    Richard EVO, ucfbrett and bawareca like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast