+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By SeanB
  • 2 Post By billybobster

Thread: Bernie Found a Buyer - John Malone Buys F1

Liked
    887 times
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 09-06-2016 at 04:58 PM.

Liked
    2364 times

'merica.

Liked
    223 times

Sky F1 is a fantastic fit. Best coverage and commentary by far. And Sky accessibility in the USA would be very welcome. Good coverage on other sports too.

Perhaps this sale is a charade with an alterior motive. Perhaps to increase valuation via bidding. Not first time.
    Loose Caboose likes this.

Liked
    887 times
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 09-08-2016 at 12:51 PM.

Liked
    40 times

So it's a done deal - F1 Racing News | Racer.com - F1: Liberty Media confirms takeover

I've worked in the "new technology" side of the TV business for 17 years so I'm pretty familiar with John Malone, Chase Carey (new Chairman of FOM) and Greg Maffei (CEO of Liberty Media).

Malone is a brilliant businessman, very smart on media business and tech, self made billionaire. He's the polar opposite of a passive investor. Carey and Maffei are also smart, active and very media experienced. So I'm looking forward to what they will be doing. Hopefully, slapping around the FIA to start. And bringing some good ole' fashioned common sense, including how smaller teams get money.

3-4 years ago I spoke at the Liberty Global "executive retreat" in Aspen on how TV moves onto the Internet. Malone was at the retreat but unfortunately didn't attend my presentation. I wanted to see if I could handle the likely tough questions from a media business legend. Maffei asked questions and they were good ones. He's smart and savvy.

I'm of two minds on handicapping how long Bernie stays around. The thing is - the media/cable business is like F1 in that it's both a huge international business and an old-boys club. Malone knows he's not part of the F1 club and Bernie is. I think they will keep him around for a year or so while they get the lay of the land. Then swap him out for another member of the F1 club. Off the top of my head - I'll say Ron Dennis. But I'll still miss Bernie. He's definitely entertaining.
    Olitho and SteveLevin like this.

Liked
    89 times

Should help F1 expand their US market... Looks like Bernie will stay on for 3 years as CEO which is good since F1 is an animal like no other and it'll take time for the new folks to get up to speed and how to maneuver the politics of it all

Liked
    887 times

Quote Originally Posted by KJSCV View Post
    ... Looks like Bernie will stay on for 3 years as CEO which is good since F1 is an animal like no other and it'll take time for the new folks to get up to speed and how to maneuver the politics of it all
    Sad to think that this probably is the case.

+ Reply to Thread