+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Before the Simpsons Movie...

Motorsports Photographer imager993's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

Default Before the Simpsons Movie...

Just thought I'd share that I am working on the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie and our teaser trailer is going to be showing at the beginning of the Simpsons movie this weekend. This was my shot and I did a decent amount of work on the shot before it as well. Not the "coolest" show I have worked on but it is fun nonetheless. Hopefully I will be working on the next Incredible Hulk movie after this, so that should make up for it.

This image was taken from the HD trailer available here.
    Aaron Kupferman | 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe | Visual Effects Electric Reality | Motorsports Photography Motorsport Lens | Other Photography AaronKupferman.com

Liked
    34 times

So, is it bascially a butch of CG still shots put together to make the animation? How much time does it take to produce something like this?

Liked
    1 times

CG Still shots? well every movie is a bunch of still shots played at 24 images per second. This is just one of these frames. The movie will be like Garfield with everything filmed live action (the human actors and the locations) then the computer generated chipmunks are animated, furred, rendered, and then composited (what I do) onto the live action film plate. Compositing makes the computer generated character look like it is actually in the scene by adding shadows, reflections, film grain, and doing color corrections.

We are doing about 500 shots for the film and this will take a crew of about 175 people about six months to do.
    Aaron Kupferman | 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe | Visual Effects Electric Reality | Motorsports Photography Motorsport Lens | Other Photography AaronKupferman.com

Liked
    34 times

Jesus, thats a lot of work for only 21 seconds of movie. (500 shots)/(24 Shot per Sec) = 20.8 secs, right? No wonder movies cost so much to make these days.

Liked
    1 times

actually, a "shot" is basically one edit or one cut. I think that you were referring to a single frame. A shot can be anywhere from just a few seconds up to a minute or more of footage - or say 48 frames up to several hundred frames.

There is too much terminology in this industry as there is in any specialty.

Liked
    1 times

CG Still shots? well every movie is a bunch of still shots played at 24 images per second.
    ahh, I should have used substituted shots for frames. I created the confusion. my bad

Liked
    6 times

Man, that's good stuff Aaron. You're in an interesting field.

I'll look for your work as tonight I plan to watch the Simpsons Movie.

Liked
    2282 times

Aaron:

which studio do you work at ?

I am also in the same business. my company name is Bell Computer

Liked
    1 times

I work at Rhythm & Hues in Marina Del Rey

Bell Computer does visual effects or computer graphics? I have not heard of you guys. Do you have a website?

Liked
    1 times

Awesome stuff! I will happily admit that Alvin & The Chipmunks was one of my favorite childhood cartoons. I look forward to seeing your work!

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by imager993 View Post
    I work at Rhythm & Hues in Marina Del Rey

Bell Computer does visual effects or computer graphics? I have not heard of you guys. Do you have a website?
    go to your warehouse, you have about 150 workstations sitting there, delivered this week

I bet you are using my computer right this moment.

Liked
    1 times

Oh, so you supplied our workstations? that's very cool and yes, it is a small world

Liked
    0 times

Awesome Aaron, I'll have to check that out. But I probably wont be going to see it this weekend because of all the craziness. I'd like to show you my new project, but won't be done until September.

I forget, you going tomorrow to CSW?
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3
    JC3D // Racecars and Keyframes // 996 Spec

Liked
    1 times

John, I won't be on the track tomorrow, but I think I will head on out to watch and hang out. Maybe catch a few ride-alongs. Definitely post your new stuff on here when you are finished. What is the project?

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by imager993 View Post
    Oh, so you supplied our workstations? that's very cool and yes, it is a small world
    the chassis you are using is this one:
    http://www.in-win.com.tw/f430/f430.html

there is a wheel/button hiding under the front power button. if you turn it up, at boot, you will hear Ferrari engine startup sound

Liked
    0 times

I'm making a cg F1 crash inside a tunnel. Only 157 frames long, but is pretty intense.
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by JC3D View Post
    I'm making a cg F1 crash inside a tunnel.
    Wow. Is it the tunnel at Monaco?

Liked
    1 times

That sounds pretty crazy John, crashes or anything that gets chaotic can get really fun in CG. What rez are you doing this at? 720p or SD or?

bellwilliam, I see the boxes sitting around the hallways. The new building has all of the new computers. I am still sitting here working off of an old machine but I hope to get a new one soon. Do you ever head out here or do you just supply and ship them?

Liked
    0 times

It's a made up tunnel, but I am using the monaco tunnel as reference. And since it's for pioneer HD, its gotta be 1080p. Won't be a problem on the new octo-core I just got yesterday....
    I'm heading out for the day, but hopefully I'll run into you tomorrow at CSW. I'll just be there instructing since the car wont be finished all it's mods until next week.
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3

Liked
    1477 times

Aaron--Alvin, what's the difference? From now on I'm calling you Alvin (less confusion with Bitterman. Lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast