Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ucfbrett

Thread: Available Now: 2017 Porsche 718 - Turbo Flat 4

Liked
    887 times

Default Available Now: 2017 Porsche 718 - Turbo Flat 4

Liked
    2363 times

I know fuel economy is coming into play here, but when I think flat four, I think VW or Subaru. A Porsche really ought to have a six.

I doubt a 718 with a four is going to be affordable anyway, so a flat four is kind of meh.

Liked
    765 times

I agree with Brett, unless the price starts $10k less, no thanks. The bummer too is that the 6 will likely outperform the turbo 4 in real world driving mileage.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2363 times

Also, because of the way they fire, flat fours never sound good to my ear. Buh, buh, buh, buh, buh.

Liked
    192 times

Built for China?
    Small displacement = less taxes, IIRC.

Liked
    887 times

FWIW: MT's first driving impression -

2017 Porsche 718 Boxster First Ride Review - Motor Trend

"A combination of closing the turbochargerís wastegate, keeping the throttle valve open, and altering valve timing keeps the single turbochargerís boost pressure high (maximum of 19 psi in the 2.0-liter and 16 psi in the 2.5-liter with its variable-vane turbo).

Porsche timed the new 718 Boxster S around the famed NŁrburgring circuit at 7 minutes, 42 seconds. According to Porsche factory lap times, thatís 16 seconds quicker than a comparably equipped, track-optimized Boxster S, 5 seconds ahead of the just-released Boxster Spyder, and just 2 seconds arrears of the much-appreciated Cayman GT4.

Finally, what do these two new engines sound like? Rest assured, the grunty, guttural bellow and throttle-overrun backfires are nothing like a Subaruís. Think back to that kid down the block with a decades-old VW Beetle he bored out to paper-thin cylinder walls and finished off with a proper set of equal-length headers and a Stinger tailpipe. Especially when equipped with the optional Sport exhaust, that is the sound of the 2017 Porsche 718 Boxster. We might even like it better than the old flat-sixís harmonics, and we certainly like the car better overall. We think you will, too."

Liked
    887 times

A recent "walk around" video with no driving impressions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8Y_...&nohtml5=False

Liked
    64 times

Journalists too afraid to say what they really think, as usual.

Liked
    145 times

Take that same motor and make a proper Beatle and you will have a fun car.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    380 times

Not sure if this will work. 350 hp is pretty nice. But the characteristics are going to be different. The link has some audio.

https://www.facebook.com/michaelharl...8362485087331/

Liked
    693 times

Whomever didnt drive a modern turbocharged engine really has no idea what is going on. I for one, got to drive a 528i just last month and i can say it is leap and bounds ahead of the 3.0 inline six it is replacing(performance-wise that is). With just a simple piggyback device it gets ~280 hp and the max torque starts at ~1500 rpm and goes all the way to 5000+. With the 8 speed transmission it is always at the right RPM. I am sure that the Porsche is no less impressive. Like it or not, it is what it is-4 cylinder turbo is better all around performer than N/A 6, and 6 turbo better than V8
    Last edited by bawareca; 04-07-2016 at 05:01 AM.

Liked
    8 times

^ i agree. modern turbos with minimal lag are so good on the street. so much torque. i'm probably in the minority but I wasn't too impressed with the torqueless 911 and cayman engines in their lower half of the rev ranges. it's exacerbated with the tall gearing in both cars (these are manual trans). reminds me of a s2000 in needing high revs to get any shove during acceleration. this was all street driving. don't get me wrong at high rpms the engines pulled hard but I don't usually cruise around on the street at 4k rpm.

+ Reply to Thread