+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AutoEclectic.com's 2011 Lexus IS-F review

Liked
    165 times

Default AutoEclectic.com's 2011 Lexus IS-F review

Wanted to see what you guys think of my article for AutoEclectic.com on the 2011 Lexus IS-F. This was the first time I've ever written anything to be published, so I'm looking for some constructive criticism and general feedback, good or bad! I'd also like to know what type of things you think I should talk about, or if I left anything out that you would like to know about the car.

Here is the article: September 2011

And a lap around Chuckwalla. It was a bone stock press car, and it did a 2:06.4; not bad!

ISF at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway - YouTube

Thanks!

Liked
    1430 times

Jeff you rat bastard! Way to make good use of the trackHQ vs pros challenge!

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ The way you talk about yourself in the first person is really jarring, and has no business in automotive journalism. "I think this, I think that." Doesn't work for me.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Working
    Liked
    29 times

I agree with Richard HONDA, otherwise great read.

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    ^^^ The way you talk about yourself in the first person is really jarring, and has no business in automotive journalism. "I think this, I think that." Doesn't work for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dino Antonov View Post
    I agree with Richard HONDA, otherwise great read.
    Hmm ok, thanks! Keep 'em coming.

Liked
    23 times

Noob question. Does the ISF natually oversteer or are you doing it on purpose to even out the understeer? Is this the basic way to drive a rwd? Always testing the tires limit?
    Milkshake!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liked
    97 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I don't mind the first person while you're telling a story, describing a past experience, or describing the car's characteristics noticed during a hot lap, but Richard is correct that it shouldn't be used when merely describing the car. HOWEVER, I wouldn't mind the first person if it's presented in the form of a blockquote or something, e.g., pp 65 "I actually prefer the Lexus and Mercedes automatic gearboxes to BMW's slightly-jerky DCT." <--It gives it a more personal feel, and less of the buff-book "I'm saying it because I have to say it" kind of vibe.

Good write-up, I enjoyed reading it.

Liked
    367 times

I dont think the first person narrative form was bad, and Ive seen it done successfully in euro magazines often.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by 0.o slow 1.6 View Post
    Noob question. Does the ISF natually oversteer or are you doing it on purpose to even out the understeer? Is this the basic way to drive a rwd? Always testing the tires limit?
    Overall it is pretty pushy, but if you carry a bit too much entry speed AND trail-brake it pretty aggressively (like I did in T2 on that lap), the tail will come around. The tail will also step out if you are coming out of a slow/medium-speed corner while you are trying to squeeze to full throttle if the car still has a lot of lateral load in it. A better diff would fix most of that (it has a TorSen). You get that kind of throttle-on oversteer at Chuckwalla because of all those long sweeping corners and the TorSen diff.

Quote Originally Posted by pucsicsal View Post
    I don't mind the first person while you're telling a story, describing a past experience, or describing the car's characteristics noticed during a hot lap, but Richard is correct that it shouldn't be used when merely describing the car. HOWEVER, I wouldn't mind the first person if it's presented in the form of a blockquote or something, e.g., pp 65 "I actually prefer the Lexus and Mercedes automatic gearboxes to BMW's slightly-jerky DCT." <--It gives it a more personal feel, and less of the buff-book "I'm saying it because I have to say it" kind of vibe.

Good write-up, I enjoyed reading it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tq3z View Post
    I dont think the first person narrative form was bad, and Ive seen it done successfully in euro magazines often.
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the honesty. Trying to do more of this and want to do it right.

Liked
    708 times

I thought it was fine for an online magazine. I don't mind the first person stuff but in my opinion, stay away from "in my opinion", just give it.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

LongWinded National Champ Bueller's Avatar
    Liked
    168 times

Congrats Jeff! I couldnt read the article though. When i clicked on the link my computer froze up. Afraid to click on it again. Any chance you can post it here?
    Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Liked
    216 times

I liked the article. The first person perspective didn't bother me. He isn't narrating like motorweek; he's the actual driver sharing his impressions. He might drive like the Stig but at least Jeff can speak for himself.

I drove an '08 IS-F for a few laps at BRP a couple years ago. Extremely nice car. Love the motor. Steering a bit numb and lacked feel. Did not like the throttle characteristics. But fun car when the weight starts to move around w/ some inertia. And that motor sounds fantastic when chasing people down. Sounds like the refresh refinements on your test car make for a slightly sharper car. I'd be quite happy with one of these for a DD.

Liked
    4 times

if they could have gotten this cars power into the previous model IS, id be much happier.. new IS is just a bit bulky...

JJ1
    Liked
    183 times

Nice! You talked about all of the things that actually interest me in a car. I would subscribe to more car reviews like this.

Liked
    557 times

so where was the smack talk? Who took over your typing?

I liked it; I a still of the belief that stuff online is always more first person than in a magazine, but I'd be the first to say that's my personal preference and have no idea if it's "journalistically correct" or if we should care about it anyway.

I do know from experience how hard it is to sit down and write stuff -- for most of us, just getting a single cohesive article together is not an easy thing, period!

Steve

Liked
    1430 times

Finally read it. A fine article. First person is A-ok.

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    so where was the smack talk? Who took over your typing?
    lol. Hmm, maybe I will try to work in a subtle dig at Richard in the next one

+ Reply to Thread