+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Auto Club Crash

Liked
    434 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    correct me if I am wrong.
    I've been in a few fast (everything is relative to a Miata driver) cars through T10/T11. it isn't as straight as some of you are suggesting. 1 car is easy......but for 2 fast cars to drag race through it...1 car (one on the right) will basically have to "swerve" around it, even lifting....

T1 guys race side by side through it all the time, they would know....even then T1 cars are a bit slower and more grip (easier to put power down and "swerve") than the McLaren.
    True, we could go 2 wide through there with no issue. But we are driving the same speed.

When I am lapping a slower car (especially if at a SV event), I ALWAYS wait to pass someone after the "chicane" or do it way before. You just never know how people are going to drive through there. It is an unusual track feature you don't see anywhere else. They should either repave it, taking out the faux rumble strips we just drive over. Or clearly make it a chicane so there is no doubt how someone would drive through there.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    correct me if I am wrong.
    I've been in a few fast (everything is relative to a Miata driver) cars through T10/T11. it isn't as straight as some of you are suggesting. 1 car is easy......but for 2 fast cars to drag race through it...1 car (one on the right) will basically have to "swerve" around it, even lifting....

T1 guys race side by side through it all the time, they would know....even then T1 cars are a bit slower and more grip (easier to put power down and "swerve") than the McLaren.

Here is a video of Kyle and I racing through there side-by-side. We do get very close. We are right at 100 MPH where the BRZ and McLaren make contact. I am sure the McLaren is doing 110 MPH plus by then. Watch from the 2:30 mark:

Last edited by Olitho; 10-10-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by jimt View Post
    True, we could go 2 wide through there with no issue. But we are driving the same speed.

When I am lapping a slower car (especially if at a SV event), I ALWAYS wait to pass someone after the "chicane" or do it way before. You just never know how people are going to drive through there. It is an unusual track feature you don't see anywhere else. They should either repave it, taking out the faux rumble strips we just drive over. Or clearly make it a chicane so there is no doubt how someone would drive through there.
    Personally, I'd wait until after Turn 10 to setup for a pass after Turn 11. Turn 11 is coned off 20 feet away from the left berm so it's literally a straight shot.

Hard to say what they were thinking about moments before the incident. Driver bias to the story is always present. Just gotta sip on that cup of tea and wait to see where the verdict lies.

Liked
    704 times

Okay, that's further down the straight than I remembered. I can see how those guys drag racing could have been trouble.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    27 times

Quote Originally Posted by chongl View Post
    There's a thread about this on NAGTROC...seems like a lot of people are saying Greg is a "good guy" and how the article is tons of BS. I don't see how pointing out his street shenanigans, lack of driving experience, and overall immaturity is BS. There's no reason to defend this guy as he comes off as a genuine asshat by all accounts. It's refreshing to see someone who can reason properly and doesn't lash out on his behalf just because you've met the guy
    I just read that thread. Most of the guys supporting him are probably street racers, themselves. AMS backs him up, but if I recall correctly he actually shipped his car to AMS and had them install and tune their Alpha 9 kit. I think that's a $10k plus mod, not counting installation, which they also did. I choose to stay out of it.
    2009 Nissan GT-R -- nicely modded

Liked
    6 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    What happened at BRP?
    Ah ha...Oli man, you did not attend the red/green morning meeting on Sat!

You have to give up your red helmet now.

Aaron did bring up an incident during the Sat meeting. IIRC, it was the BW event prior and someone was sent to the hospital. [noted: this incident was a VARA event not a SV event].

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Vince -

I don't go to SV events as often as I used to, because I don't like driving a Formula Mazda on track with modified street cars, and it's against my better judgment to track my NSX, even though I do it once in a while. Don't have the S2K anymore.

I did not know someone got hart at the last SV Buttonwillow event, and would like to hear the details.

I think SV does at least a good a job on safety as most open track organizers. SV has a mandatory drivers' meeting in the morning, and download session after the first two run sessions for each group. They encourage tattle-tailing on dangerous drivers, etc. etc.

NASA HPDE/TT is far to military for me, plus the amount of track time you get is about half what you get with SV. It's funny how they browbeat HPDE drivers for going off track, but as soon as they get a NASA competition license, any ridiculous on-track behavior is OK.
    Yes Richard. I have noticed you stopped attending. We've met before even when John was with SV.

Greg Greenbaum does run it like a bootcamp. But you have to give it to him for being as fair as possible. If someone messes up on track, he will get to the bottom of it. In a strange way, I like how they run everything to the dot. If you don't line up the car by a certain time, you're not allowed on the track. I met a lot of good pple there.

Agreed on the mandatory SV meeting and downloads. But they need to be enforced a little better. Lots of folks still miss the meetings/downloads.
    Last edited by Vince S.; 10-11-2012 at 12:13 PM.
    Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
    Supercharged E46 M54B25.
    2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!

Liked
    977 times

Vince, the incident in question (I was at the meeting too) was a VARA race that William posted about on here before. A bunch of formula cars stopped over the crest of Phil Hill for a red flag and another guy who didn't see the flag hit them pretty hard.
    Vince S. likes this.

Liked
    2283 times

Vince:

I don't think it was SV.
    I believe Aaron was talking about the VARA event, about not to park the car immediately in a blind spot (it was Buttonwillow Phil's Hill). discussed extensively on Trackhq.

edit: Hakeem beat me to it....
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 10-11-2012 at 11:52 AM.
    Vince S. likes this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    6 times

Thanks for the clarification, guys. My bad. I will edit my previous post.
    Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
    Supercharged E46 M54B25.
    2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!

Liked
    2165 times

OK. I thought you guys were referring to something that happened with SV at BRP. The VARA incident I am quite familiar with.

Oli
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by takchi View Post
    I think Crawford's first session was driven by a female driver (I could be wrong). It's the girl on the right side of the picture with the blown out barrier with the black racing suit and shirt that Mike posted up. If Crawford was going at a 1:59 pace, then he's not as fast as what he claims to be doing then especially since Greg was doing 1:53s with the McLaren. Also, SV line through 10/11 is basically straight. I don't see how a proper car can spin while going WOT in a straightline unless an external force was introduced. Looks like 2nd session is when the incident occurred and that's when Quirt was driving. Also tire marks on the track wasn't as far right as I originally remembered seeing.

On a side note, I talked to John of Visconti Tuning and he took the logs off the datalogger to find that the Crawford BRZ was doing ~90mph before the incident.
    Yes the first session was driven by one of quirt's daughters, not him.
    2015 civic si sedan FB6 - Corner Speed Tuning 9th gen project
    "And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." Ayrton Senna

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7