Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Auto Club Crash

Sir flink
    Liked
    553 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I don't like driving a Formula Mazda on track with modified street cars
    That's prudent. I did a test day at Sears a couple weeks ago, shared with the FM guys. Those little suckers are pretty hard to see in the mirror when they're close.

I had a moment of sheer panic at one stage - an FM was following me into 4 and when I exited 4 I couldn't see the damn thing anywhere so I just tootled down the middle of the track hoping he'd drive around me, whereever he was. By the time I'd exited the carousel I worked out that he must have spun or driven it off back in 4, doh.

Liked
    984 times

Quote Originally Posted by flink View Post
    That's prudent. I did a test day at Sears a couple weeks ago, shared with the FM guys. Those little suckers are pretty hard to see in the mirror when they're close.

I had a moment of sheer panic at one stage - an FM was following me into 4 and when I exited 4 I couldn't see the damn thing anywhere so I just tootled down the middle of the track hoping he'd drive around me, whereever he was. By the time I'd exited the carousel I worked out that he must have spun or driven it off back in 4, doh.
    Actually I remember seeing a picture of a FM underneath the rear wheels of a black bmw in T4 at Sonoma a couple weeks ago. All you could see was the wheels of the FM sticking out and the bmw just mowed right over it.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    41 times

Quote Originally Posted by vetteguy2005 View Post
    It really is a long way. I bet he kept his foot in it and did a couple of trunk slappers before he took out the wall. No f,ing way he skidded from turn nine to just short of the bridge. That was a hard hit to move that barrier and tear the fence, I bet he had his foot down on impact!

If your going out, might as well be in flames!
    I can promise you that he didn't keep his foot in it. Look at the skidmark pictures from earlier in the thread that I posted.
    pucsicsal - The fastest unit of speed measurement is not the speed of light, it is the speed of flatout. Hence the BRZs limit.

Liked
    41 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    for the kink that McLaren crashed out, it is called T10 and T11. that's TWO turns.

when real cars go through T10 / T11, they need to straighten that section in order to put the power down. unfortunately only 1 car can take a straight line through it.... not 2 cars.

McLaren: gonna show that hairdresser in wimpy Subaru what real man drives..
    Crawford: gonna show that rich bold middle age crises bastard what real turbo is about.....boooooooooooooooooooooooost !!!!
    This is the SV version, since they don't actually use T10/11. In reality, T10 is still there, but T11 is effectively deleted, and the runoff to the "left" of T11 is used to straighten it out. T10 is kind of utilized by the track-out for T9.

Now, compare to the fresh skidmarks...

pucsicsal - The fastest unit of speed measurement is not the speed of light, it is the speed of flatout. Hence the BRZs limit.

Liked
    708 times

Could he have stomped the gas instead of the brake and those marks are from spinning tires rather than skidding tires? I just can't see how he could be going fast enough to hit the brakes, skid that far and still hit the wall that hard. I know I drive a Miata and have no idea what acceleration is but there's just something not right. Don't these cars have good brakes too? Doesn't it have ABS? I can see turning off traction and stability control but ABS?
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2216 times

i am doing 100 MPH around that point with just under 400 rwhp. A McLaren has I assume around 650 rwhp and it is lighter?

He could be doing over 120 MPH at that point. That will carry him pretty far and grass does not do much to slow the car.
    bellwilliam likes this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    2320 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    NASA HPDE/TT . It's funny how they browbeat HPDE drivers for going off track, but as soon as they get a NASA competition license, any ridiculous on-track behavior is OK.

haha, that's so true !!! with NASA HPDE, you see may be 1 or 2 offs per session. but I once saw over 25 offs at Sunset alone in one race.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 10-09-2012 at 11:38 PM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    58 times

damn... i shoulda stayed for sunday... and yes... there was no 'kink'

Liked
    58 times

Gregory Kim 1:53.650

on r888?.. yeah... red probably wasnt a good idea.

Liked
    27 times

Didn't have time to read all 6 pages, but thought I'd throw out my input. After reading the Jalopnik article, I realized I've met this guy. He had a GT-R previously and went by gripforce-gtr on nagroc.org. His name indeed was Greg Kim. He used to post threads bragging about his street kills. One time a couple of years ago, I called him out and said if he was so fast, why not come out to the track and show how fast he is. Those of you who know me know I'm not THAT fast, but I'm faster than 1:53 at Auto Club...on stock runflats. I am NOT a fan of street racing.

I told him to come to the RTA event at Auto Club, I think July 2010. He did come, but had a bunch of excuses why he couldn't participate at the open track day. He does NOT have 7 years of track experience. As of 2010, he had never driven on a track. I don't know if he ever did any after that. If I recall correctly, I thought he was single. Didn't think he had kids. I'm thinking his responses to Jalopnik are BS. Doesn't surprise me about all the You Tube videos of high speeds on public roads, as he would post such videos on nagtroc.org.

Not to mention how he cheated Jon Drenas at what was then HB Speed. Karma's a *****.
    hakeem, Pure EvoIX and bawareca like this.
    2009 Nissan GT-R -- nicely modded

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Gregory Kim 1:53.650

on r888?.. yeah... red probably wasnt a good idea.
    It's not awful I guess, looks like it was the 11th fastest time of the day.

JJ1
    Liked
    185 times

I drove my friends GtR at ACS. I'm far from the best driver. I got 5 laps with him in the car on the original run flats. The fronts were near end of life (and were corded after that event). Car was bone stock including alignment and I ran 1:53s. A Mclaren on r888 should be much faster IMO.

Liked
    2320 times

how did the Crawford turbo BRZ do in lap time ?
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    143 times

how did the Crawford turbo BRZ do in lap time ?
    In the results it lists a Quirt Crawford with a time of 1:59. But that time and the Mclaren are in the first session. Looks like the cars made contact and never made it past the first session. Therefore I won't really consider either time as the fastest possible considering they never made it past the second session.
    Last edited by Silversprint; 10-10-2012 at 09:59 AM.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    2320 times

Quote Originally Posted by Silversprint View Post
    In the results it lists a Quirt Crawford with a time of 1:59. But that time and the Mclaren are in the first session. Looks like the cars made contact and never made it past the first session. Therefore I won't really consider either time as the fastest possible considering they never made it past the second session.
    looked it up... both did a full session of black group...only couple laps of red group, guessing that's when they made contact..
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1915 times

Guess they wanted to be moved to the fastest run group so they can drive flat out, that's how they drive.
    :facepalm:

Liked
    31 times

Quote Originally Posted by DocNrock View Post
    Didn't have time to read all 6 pages, but thought I'd throw out my input. After reading the Jalopnik article, I realized I've met this guy. He had a GT-R previously and went by gripforce-gtr on nagroc.org. His name indeed was Greg Kim. He used to post threads bragging about his street kills. One time a couple of years ago, I called him out and said if he was so fast, why not come out to the track and show how fast he is. Those of you who know me know I'm not THAT fast, but I'm faster than 1:53 at Auto Club...on stock runflats. I am NOT a fan of street racing.

I told him to come to the RTA event at Auto Club, I think July 2010. He did come, but had a bunch of excuses why he couldn't participate at the open track day. He does NOT have 7 years of track experience. As of 2010, he had never driven on a track. I don't know if he ever did any after that. If I recall correctly, I thought he was single. Didn't think he had kids. I'm thinking his responses to Jalopnik are BS. Doesn't surprise me about all the You Tube videos of high speeds on public roads, as he would post such videos on nagtroc.org.

Not to mention how he cheated Jon Drenas at what was then HB Speed. Karma's a *****.
    There's a thread about this on NAGTROC...seems like a lot of people are saying Greg is a "good guy" and how the article is tons of BS. I don't see how pointing out his street shenanigans, lack of driving experience, and overall immaturity is BS. There's no reason to defend this guy as he comes off as a genuine asshat by all accounts. It's refreshing to see someone who can reason properly and doesn't lash out on his behalf just because you've met the guy
    DocNrock likes this.

LongWinded National Champ Bueller's Avatar
    Liked
    168 times

I cant help but laugh every time someone on facebook or those other threads says...thats racing.
    Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Liked
    0 times

looked it up... both did a full session of black group...only couple laps of red group, guessing that's when they made contact..
    I think Crawford's first session was driven by a female driver (I could be wrong). It's the girl on the right side of the picture with the blown out barrier with the black racing suit and shirt that Mike posted up. If Crawford was going at a 1:59 pace, then he's not as fast as what he claims to be doing then especially since Greg was doing 1:53s with the McLaren. Also, SV line through 10/11 is basically straight. I don't see how a proper car can spin while going WOT in a straightline unless an external force was introduced. Looks like 2nd session is when the incident occurred and that's when Quirt was driving. Also tire marks on the track wasn't as far right as I originally remembered seeing.

On a side note, I talked to John of Visconti Tuning and he took the logs off the datalogger to find that the Crawford BRZ was doing ~90mph before the incident.
    Last edited by takchi; 10-10-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Liked
    2320 times

correct me if I am wrong.
    I've been in a few fast (everything is relative to a Miata driver) cars through T10/T11. it isn't as straight as some of you are suggesting. 1 car is easy......but for 2 fast cars to drag race through it...1 car (one on the right) will basically have to "swerve" around it, even lifting....

T1 guys race side by side through it all the time, they would know....even then T1 cars are a bit slower and more grip (easier to put power down and "swerve") than the McLaren.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast