+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Auto Club Crash

Liked
    2165 times

What happened at BRP?
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    41 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    this turned out to be the best publicity for Crawford ever...

I didn't know Crawford makes a turbo kit for BRZ, now I know......
    No kidding.

All for the cost of a door, fender, and wheel.
    pucsicsal - The fastest unit of speed measurement is not the speed of light, it is the speed of flatout. Hence the BRZs limit.

Liked
    114 times

i was at the last BW event, i didn't hear of anyone getting hurt, but there was a photographer standing on the track while the track was hot.

Liked
    143 times

Drivers have crashed with NASA too. Many of us have not forgotten the dead of John Drey at Big Willow in his Mini during a NASA event. It doesn't matter what rules you put in place, crashes happen on track days. That's why you never track a car you can't write off or skimp on safety equipment.

If Speedventures tightened up the rules the drivers would just drive with another club. We have seen a number of more strict clubs disappear or struggles in the last few years. In most of these HPDE organization drivers self rank their experience and self tech their cars. Less drivers, a lot more price competition with much cheaper track days and some clubs are struggling to hold on to drivers.

I think this particular incident at Auto Club was driver ego related. Sometime people let their egos write checks their driving skills can't cash. I don' think it had much to go with downloads or driver meets.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    41 times

Green and Red are policed. You aren't able to sign up for those groups without clearance from either Dave or Aaron.

It did used to be MUCH more strict when they still had Erica though...
    pucsicsal - The fastest unit of speed measurement is not the speed of light, it is the speed of flatout. Hence the BRZs limit.

Liked
    421 times

I thought the whole point of speedventures was to allow people to come out to a track day where it was actually possible to crash your car. Throw 'em in the deep end and they'll learn to swim.
    Last edited by b3d3g1; 10-09-2012 at 01:00 PM.
    bellwilliam and emilio700 like this.
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter
    2016 KTM 690 Duke - parked at the dealer

Liked
    6 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    That's why you make the top group open passing. The pro driver in a stock miata will be good at watching his mirrors.
    True, but still even in advanced groups I know I always wait for safe opportunities to pass and some people's idea of safe is quite different than mine. I will never forget catching a guy in turn 2 at Big and then going to pass in the straight between 2 and 3 and as I was giving alot of room we were then split by another car who then almost went off into omega not to mention taking away my line, open passing works but still takes everyone to know how to use it.

Liked
    2283 times

Quote Originally Posted by b3d3g1 View Post
    I thought the whole point of speedventures was to allow people to come out to a track day where it was actually possible to crash your car. Throw 'em in the deep in and they'll learn to swim.
    cough cough, don't you work for SV ?
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    421 times

cough cough, don't you work for SV ?
    I wouldn't say I work for them as much as I trade some of my time for a discount on track fees. Net flow of cash is definitely in their direction.

My driving skills would not have progressed as quickly if I had come through another organization.
    robburgoon and psychoazn like this.
    -Anthony

Liked
    142 times

Quote Originally Posted by b3d3g1 View Post
    Throw 'em in the deep in and they'll learn to swim.
    that's what happend to me the first time I did a SV event, that was blue group.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    22 times

Cool Long skid

Quote Originally Posted by psychoazn View Post
    With "iphone hdr" (hence the funky color correction and stuff).

You can see HOW FAR it is from T9.

It really is a long way. I bet he kept his foot in it and did a couple of trunk slappers before he took out the wall. No f,ing way he skidded from turn nine to just short of the bridge. That was a hard hit to move that barrier and tear the fence, I bet he had his foot down on impact!

If your going out, might as well be in flames!
    Corvette Specialty C6
    Life is like a race, the best times win!

Liked
    2243 times

^^ I'm still just shaking my head about what an odd place this is for a such a big off.

Oh, sure it's a great place for a certain red Miata to pull over with a roached motor , but a crash? Someone had to try really hard to accomplish that.

Liked
    421 times

I still think it had something to do with the kink in the road and a drag race off the corner.
    -Anthony

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    ^^ I'm still just shaking my head about what an odd place this is for a such a big off.

Oh, sure it's a great place for a certain red Miata to pull over with a roached motor , but a crash? Someone had to try really hard to accomplish that.
    Ouch, but I was just thinking the same thing. Here I thought that was a reasonably safe spot to park it . . .
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2283 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post

you Miata guys just don't get it, whole ACS is a damn straight for a Miata...for a real man's car, there are actually 19 turns.

for the kink that McLaren crashed out, it is called T10 and T11. that's TWO turns.

when real cars go through T10 / T11, they need to straighten that section in order to put the power down. unfortunately only 1 car can take a straight line through it.... not 2 cars.

McLaren: gonna show that hairdresser in wimpy Subaru what real man drives..
    Crawford: gonna show that rich bold middle age crises bastard what real turbo is about.....boooooooooooooooooooooooost !!!!

again only one car at a time can straighten that kink.............
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails acs.jpg  
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 10-09-2012 at 03:55 PM.
    Matt Andrews and bawareca like this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    114 times

you Miata guys just don't get it, whole ACS is a damn straight for a Miata...for a real man's car, there are actually 19 turns.

for the kink that McLaren crashed out, it is called T10 and T11. that's TWO turns.

when real cars go through T10 / T11, they need to straighten that section in order to put the power down. unfortunately only 1 car can take a straight line through it.... not 2 cars.

McLaren: gonna show that hairdresser in wimpy Subaru what real man drives..
    Crawford: gonna show that rich bold middle age crises bastard what real turbo is about.....boooooooooooooooooooooooost !!!!

again only one car at a time can straighten that kink.............

LOL, i would have never imagined the Roval being a 21 turn course. From a Miatas standpoint, it looks no more than 10. LOLz

Liked
    11 times

Yes its my first post Ill get to the intro section soon.

Liked
    114 times

Quote Originally Posted by Deepdish View Post

Yes its my first post Ill get to the intro section soon.
    Welcome, sorry to bash on your first post, but the same video was posted just a few pages ago.

Liked
    11 times

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

I was keeping up with the thread during lunch when it went into HPDE safety and Ego on the track.
    End of office post and I failed it.

Ill come back after some more seat time.
    Red_5 likes this.

Liked
    1477 times

Vince -

I don't go to SV events as often as I used to, because I don't like driving a Formula Mazda on track with modified street cars, and it's against my better judgment to track my NSX, even though I do it once in a while. Don't have the S2K anymore.

I did not know someone got hart at the last SV Buttonwillow event, and would like to hear the details.

I think SV does at least a good a job on safety as most open track organizers. SV has a mandatory drivers' meeting in the morning, and download session after the first two run sessions for each group. They encourage tattle-tailing on dangerous drivers, etc. etc.

NASA HPDE/TT is far to military for me, plus the amount of track time you get is about half what you get with SV. It's funny how they browbeat HPDE drivers for going off track, but as soon as they get a NASA competition license, any ridiculous on-track behavior is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince S. View Post
    Richard,

Yes I get SV. I have been "getting" them since John Wurth was in the band. Which is why I said I like the social and relax setting of SV.

Not trying to make SV like NASA but SV can take some good tips from NASA. Driver's meeting is mandatory and that's no if-else-but about that. If you want to show up whenever to a track event, then book the entire track to yourself. That's my point.

You have no idea what closed forums talked about and quickly blamed it on SV as a bad organizer. And I have been trying to defend SV on these forums.

Edit: btw you do know somebody got hurt at the last BW event?
    bellwilliam and Vince S. like this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast