+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Auto Club Crash

Kam
    Liked
    87 times

the MP4 had a go-pro attached to it. Wonder if the driver will be brave enough to post the video...
    4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    the MP4 had a go-pro attached to it. Wonder if the driver will be brave enough to post the video...
    I'll bet he "forgot to turn it on".
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

Liked
    31 times

Was just about to post that...what a clown

OJR
    Liked
    102 times

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Se7en View Post
    Looks like a case of ducky speed master syndrome.
    Looks like DSM is opening up a bit on what happened. Richard Allister (dickyspeedmastr) on Twitter
    Just a guy racing stuff. #GetSickTour
    Facebook Instagram

Liked
    2283 times

I thought jalopnik article was too hard on McLaren driver. Based the story on what Crawford says. I am not so sure unless someone we know says otherwise.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 10-08-2012 at 11:07 AM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    31 times

But pitchforks = more website traffic = more revenue!

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

I definitely don't see anything conclusive. I want to see that Mclaren video. My guess is both sides are keeping evidence and video to themselves pending possible litigation.

Liked
    2283 times

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Andrews View Post
    FWIW, I was catching them fast in a 160whp FR-S. I'm not looking for a pat on the back -
    you saying since you caught them in your 160whp FR-S, and Crawford TURBO BRZ was getting passed by the same drivers/cars.....that you and your car is much better than a TURBO BRZ and its driver ?

I pat you on your back !!
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Looks like the crash occurred on the infield straight, which seems odd.
    Bet you a dollar it happened in the second chicane. McLaren passed and/or cut off the BRZ in rude fashion on the right side on the way into the chicane forcing BRZ to lift/brake to avoid contact, BRZ neglects to lift, rotates the exotic.

That's my theory.

Liked
    72 times

completing a safe pass is the responsibility of the overtaking car. Unless Crawford veered right when the McLaren was 2/3rds past him, I don't see how this was his fault. What wouldn't suprise me is this: Crawford tracks out after turn 9. McLaren goes up the inside and while the area is "straight", there is a tendancy to clip the apex of what used to be a more pronounced turn 11. So while you are going straight, you go from leaving room for a car on the outside after turn 9, to suddenly forcing them off track if you don't move over in the 10/11 complex. Crawford tried to stay on track and while the McLaren may have driven straight, he effectively closed out the space the BRZ was trying to occupy.
    Turn your iphone into an action camera:
    www.igloocase.com
    www.facebook.com/igloocase.com

Liked
    2283 times

Matt: sounds like you were in the same session... was the Ferrari anywhere close to the incident ?

or did the McLaren crash because it didn't want to get passed by a white 160whp FRS ?
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 10-08-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    72 times

the McLaren and the Ferrari were in the same part of the track. I didn't see if they were passing the BRZ at the same time or not. I'm 99% sure that the MCLaren and Ferrari were behind the BRZ coming off the oval. I highly doubt that the BRZ could exit turn 9 with enough speed to overtake the McLaren, no matter how badly he screwed up the exit of that turn. I didn't see them enter 9, but I would be shocked if the BRZ was behind.
    www.igloocase.com

Liked
    977 times

Wasn't the BRZ turbocharged?

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

I would be very surprised if a turbo BRZ had as much power or ability to put the power down as a Mclaren. But I don't know what tires the Mclaren or BRZ had. Not to mention what kind of power the BRZ had. But clearly, the Mclaren was going faster (in terms of lap times) if it caught the BRZ. No?

Liked
    72 times

mclaren was on r888s. dont know about the BRZ
    www.igloocase.com

Liked
    19 times

Based on random speculation out of my @$$ and reading into the quotes from both parties, it seems that the BRZ was probably treating this almost like a race session? I mean cmon, something about "racing line" and "should have seen the FMIC and Brembo...surprised BRZ could keep up". Sounds like too much ego and aggression from an industry regular who probably ended up attacking way too hard at a trackday. Im sorry, but there is no "racing line" at a trackday. I organize and run trackdays too and I know much better than to force w2w margins at a trackday and always give the boys in the big cars space as I always assume they are an inexperienced driver out for more of an "experience" then a serious driver development session. Throwing in corner workers being on his side is a moot point, being a regular and having sway of the locals could have easily twist a situation where an elderly driver who "demands" respect because of his "reputation". As such (and this is purely speculation) I can see this go completely either way, even though the McLaren driver is automatically being thrown under the bus.

Ok so he has videos of him being obnoxious and exceeding the speed limit. How quickly can a McLaren be over the speed limit on the street? 3 seconds from a normal cruising pace?

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by heelntoe View Post
    Im sorry, but there is no "racing line" at a trackday.
    Huh?

Liked
    41 times

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Andrews View Post
    completing a safe pass is the responsibility of the overtaking car. Unless Crawford veered right when the McLaren was 2/3rds past him, I don't see how this was his fault. What wouldn't suprise me is this: Crawford tracks out after turn 9. McLaren goes up the inside and while the area is "straight", there is a tendancy to clip the apex of what used to be a more pronounced turn 11. So while you are going straight, you go from leaving room for a car on the outside after turn 9, to suddenly forcing them off track if you don't move over in the 10/11 complex. Crawford tried to stay on track and while the McLaren may have driven straight, he effectively closed out the space the BRZ was trying to occupy.
    Look at the damage on the right of the Crawford car, and the left of the McLaren. You can line up EXACTLY where the impact was. Look at the tire marks on both cars, and where the rims would have contacted on the other car.
    pucsicsal - The fastest unit of speed measurement is not the speed of light, it is the speed of flatout. Hence the BRZs limit.

Liked
    41 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Matt: sounds like you were in the same session... was the Ferrari anywhere close to the incident ?

or did the McLaren crash because it didn't want to get passed by a white 160whp FRS ?
    The ferrari was a different incident with different driver in the BRZ in the black run group.

The McLaren/BRZ incident was in the Red run group with Quirt driving.
    pucsicsal - The fastest unit of speed measurement is not the speed of light, it is the speed of flatout. Hence the BRZs limit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast