+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Slaysman
  • 1 Post By ELO168

Thread: attnding Monterey Historic, what do I need to know

Liked
    2356 times

Default attnding Monterey Historic, what do I need to know

plan to attend Monterey Historic this year, a bucket list thing. What do I do ?

someone said I should attend Monterey Pre-Historic ?

do I just drive up and do what ?

is it worth the ticket to pay ~$200 to attend a car show ? how about an auction ?

what about races at Laguna Seca ? is it both weekend (Pre-historic and historic) ? do I need to buy a ticket beforehand ?

how about traffic, food, lodging ?

do I need to dress like a douche ? wearing those French hat, and gold chain ? dress like a Lambo kid ?

you can clearly see I have no idea how to go about it.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    1436 times

Last I heard the tip was to do the pre-historic and avoid the main weekend

Liked
    760 times

If I was going, I would do as much as seemed interesting. The auction may be neat, watching someone drop a few million on a car. I like attending the Mitty Historics at Road Atlanta. Pit passes are cool to see the race cars up close. It's all a bit more casual than most race weekends. I know it isn't the same as Monterrey, but do as much as you can stand so you can leave knowing you got the full experience.

Take pictures, too!
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    2356 times

Problem is I don't know what is a must do ? Before plunking down $200- $1,000 to see a car show or to Watch an auction
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    258 times

The few times I have gone, it's just been for the races... general admission,,, super fun to walk the paddock and watch the corkscrew.

BID

Liked
    2287 times

The pre-reunion is just as good if you're going to watch the racing and get close to the cars. It's much cheaper and far less crowded, but you don't get the "scene" that you do during the main weekend.

During the main weekend, downtown Monterey is hopping, with incredible cars at the Portola where the Mecum auction usually is. Heck, all of Alvarado Street is a veritable car show. That said, hotel room prices are f#$%ing astronomical that weekend — $500 a night isn't unheard of — which is another reason to attend the pre-reunion. I don't know how much it costs to RV-camp at Laguna Seca during the main weekend, but I imagine it would be hard to find a good space at this point.

At some point, I want to go and do it up right, hit the Pebble Beach show, the Quail, the quirky car show, whatever that's called and see all of the historic races. I've always had to leave to drive home when the really cool — read, fast — cars start racing. I got to see them race at the pre-reunion and they're fun to watch. It's also fun to watch for which drivers can drive and which ones are out there preening.

Liked
    483 times

I say if it's a "bucket list" item, go for the main event and attend everything you can afford and fit in your schedule. I wish I would have....is the worst thought you can have on your way home.

My wife and I went to Monaco 2 years ago for the race, and we went all the way. We spent $4,500 each for VIP tickets, but we knew we would never go back. At the time the money seemed crazy, but we came home with "no regrets"

craZee

Liked
    226 times

I haven't been for a couple of years, and the last couple of times I went on press passes with a friend up there.

In years past, stuff at the track was not too pricey. I believe you can wander into the auctions for free. I don't remember paying for the Concours Italiano, which was pretty good.

The Pebble Beach concours has gotten out of hand in my opinion. Yes, the cars are over the top. Used to be able to park in fields right near the lodge, now you get bussed in. Tickets are a couple hundred bucks, and I think some of it is a charitable deduction, if that helps you at tax time.

As for what to wear, this is California, so anything goes. However, the better you look, the better people respond to you usually (true in just about anything).
    ucfbrett likes this.
    Terry Watson
    AROSC Competition Director

Liked
    2356 times

Quote Originally Posted by Slaysman View Post
    I don't remember paying for the Concours Italiano, which was pretty good.
    ).
    Concorse Italian is around $150 per person.
    Main concourse is a lot more, not sure if it is worth it (not really into 50+ years old cars) But have a feeling I might regret if not going regardless how stuffy it is.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    26 times

We have 2 cars entering the main race, DTM Group A E30 M3 and Group A AE101.
    Going to camp on site since we have RV.
    Shorts, t-shirt and flip flops��
    bawareca likes this.
    http://touringcarclub.net/

Liked
    430 times

So is anyone actually going to the main weekend next weekend and camping? I'm thinking of riding a motorcycle down for the day, possibly camping if I can find a spot to share.
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter
    2016 KTM 690 Duke - parked at the dealer

+ Reply to Thread