+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: ATTN Socal OGs: RIR Riverside International Raceway

Liked
    29 times

Default ATTN Socal OGs: RIR Riverside International Raceway

Did any of you guys get a chance to race here? How was RIR compared to any other track you've been on.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by howang View Post
    Did any of you guys get a chance to race here? How was RIR compared to any other track you've been on.
    William raced there.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1 times

i used to play in the playground when my dad raced with Jim Russell there lol
    Montinola Racing | www.montinola.com
    Silicon Valley Racing | www.DriveSVR.com
    Driver Coaching :: Private Track Events

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    William raced there.
    William still has a track record there.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    2282 times

I do have Trackhq's Riverside Top 25 secured......
    it really was a pretty boring track with a slow car (I was driving a 510 and a Scirocco back then), remember that in early 80s, anything over 100whp was supercar terriroty. pretty sure it would be a ton of fun in a powerful car, just never got a chance....

most of the old video you see are Can-AM cars, crazy fast, sure looked fun..
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    140 times

So with he Fiat you feel right at home again...;-)

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    I do have Trackhq's Riverside Top 25 secured......
    it really was a pretty boring track with a slow car (I was driving a 510 and a Scirocco back then), remember that in early 80s, anything over 100whp was supercar terriroty. pretty sure it would be a ton of fun in a powerful car, just never got a chance....

most of the old video you see are Can-AM cars, crazy fast, sure looked fun..
    I've been watching nascar videos from Riverside lately. Hanging the rear end out in one of those brutes going up the esses looks like fantastic fun.

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    I've been watching nascar videos from Riverside lately. Hanging the rear end out in one of those brutes going up the esses looks like fantastic fun.
    I can't remember it well. But esses at Riverside is like esses at Buttonwillow. It is just a straight for low powered car.
    I used to race a Datsun 510 and Scirocco making 70whp on the best day. this is at the time Corvette makes 200whp.....
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 05-14-2012 at 10:47 AM.
    TrackDayHookey likes this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    3 times

Never raced there, but in 1982-84 I was with CalClub and was a Pit Marshall. I stood at the beginning of the pit road and my job was to notice if a car coming off of Turn 9 was coming into the pits. If so, I was to blow an air horn.

I remember Teo Fabi in his IndyCar slowing coming in an we had to push him to his pits. I was just in my 20's and didn't know sh-t and he ran over my foot. I was wearing New Balance running shows. No support at all.

Well, I didn't learn, cause later we had to push Cale Yarboughows NASCAR car and it also ran over my foot. That hurt like hell the rest of the day.

For lunch, CalClub gave us a brown sack lunch with an apple, a white bread sandwich and a warm Coke.

I had a great time. My goal was to work the F1 race in Long Beach, but didn't get enough seniority before I had to quite and go to school.
    Remember when there were no pit lane speed limits in F!?!

Liked
    464 times

I'd been on the track a few times in a few cars that my dad drove. But I was so young, just being in the car was enough for me...lol. But I did get to work crowd control with my dad at the last F1 race there. I mostly remember Willy T Ribbs was running in mid pack and was just putting on a show. Full lock sideways slilding his F1 car around turn 7 & 8 (think it was 7&8 just before the back stright). Sure it's not the fastest way around the track. But he sure was having fun!
    Last edited by Gian; 05-14-2012 at 06:06 AM.

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gian View Post
    I'd been on the track a few times in a few cars that my dad drove. But I was so young, just being in the car was enough for me...lol. But I did get to work crowd control with my dad at the last F1 race there. I mostly remember Willy T Ribbs was running in mid pack and was just putting on a show. Full lock sideways slilding his F1 car around turn 7 & 8 (think it was 7&8 just before the back stright). Sure it's not the fastest way around the track. But he sure was having fun!
    In think you mean Indycar. Willy T Ribbs ran in the 80's, and F1 last ran there in the 70's I believe.

Liked
    464 times

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    In think you mean Indycar. Willy T Ribbs ran in the 80's, and F1 last ran there in the 70's I believe.
    Nope, I do mean F1, It was in the 70's and it was Willy. He did not do well

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gian View Post
    Nope, I do mean F1, It was in the 70's and it was Willy. He did not do well
    Hi Glan,

No offense intended, but there was only one F1 race at RIR, and that was in 1969. Willy T. Ribbs was 14 at the time. He was born in 1955. He did test once in F1, in 1986 in Portugal.

Willy T. Ribbs did race a little in Formula Atlantic, although I'm not sure if that series was ever at Riverside. He raced for a few years in SCCA Trans-Am, which I'm pretty sure did race at Riverside. He also raced in CART in the 1990's, but they were not racing at Riverside then.

He did a little NASCAR in the 80's as well. IMSA Sportscars (that was such an awesome series!) raced there a lot, and I'm pretty sure Ribb's had a bunch of one-off rides in that series as well.

Here's Willy's wiki: Willy T. Ribbs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and RIR's wiki: Riverside International Raceway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and F1's wiki: List of Formula One Grands Prix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So again, no offense, but I am interested in figuring this out, RIR was such as great track, and it's real sad that I occasionally work at the mall that are on it's grounds now. I park my car there on what was turn 6. The parking lot still grades upwards just like it did for Turn 6.
    Last edited by davidc; 05-14-2012 at 10:38 PM.

Liked
    464 times

Will I will have to look into it. But I know I was there... I'm thinking 1975, because the next year they moved F1 to Long Beach for the first Long Beach Grand Pix.

And I do remember Willy did a couple of F1 races, before Indy cars.

Liked
    1477 times

According to your WikiPedia link, the F1 U.S. Grand Prix was held at Watkins Glen in 1969.

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    Hi Glan,

No offense intended, but there was only one F1 race at RIR, and that was in 1969. Willy T. Ribbs was 14 at the time. He was born in 1955. He did test once in F1, in 1986 in Portugal.

Willy T. Ribbs did race a little in Formula Atlantic, although I'm not sure if that series was ever at Riverside. He raced for a few years in SCCA Trans-Am, which I'm pretty sure did race at Riverside. He also raced in CART in the 1990's, but they were not racing at Riverside then.

He did a little NASCAR in the 80's as well. IMSA Sportscars (that was such an awesome series!) raced there a lot, and I'm pretty sure Ribb's had a bunch of one-off rides in that series as well.

Here's Willy's wiki: Willy T. Ribbs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and RIR's wiki: Riverside International Raceway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and F1's wiki: List of Formula One Grands Prix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So again, no offense, but I am interested in figuring this out, RIR was such as great track, and it's real sad that I occasionally work at the mall that are on it's grounds now. I park my car there on what was turn 6. The parking lot still grades upwards just like it did for Turn 6.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    464 times

Ok it was 1975. But it was billed and ran as a F5000 race so that the American F5000 cars could run. That would explain (to me) why my Dad was working, and I got to tag along. SCCA put it on.

But I do remember the John Player cars (I think Mario was one of their drives) and the 6 wheel Tyrrell's.

Wikipedia has it wrong. The first Grand Prix West was held at RIR. Then continued to Long Beach the next year.

But it does not look as if it was a F1 points race. Or at least a F1 race, but a F5000 race. I kind of remember that (maybe) this was when they were trying to get F1 back to America.

As far as Willy T Ribs. I know that he ran a few times at RIR. I got to meet him at RIR in the pits. I do remember my Dad saying, when I said "hey...look at that guy" while he was sliding (called drifting these days) around 7 & 8. That I had met him before, "that's Willy".
    But I'm only going off memory. I can't find any proof. Yet...lol.

Liked
    464 times

I found a few web sites that say The "F1 warm up held in 1975 as a F5000" in Long Beach, but Long Beach didn't have it's first race till 1976. It was supossed to run in 1975 but was not ready, so moved to RIR (also going off memory)
    Also found it was won by Brian Redman.

I also remeber there being a IROC suport race on that weekend to. But all the IROC sites don't give any dates.

I'm still digging, I may even have to hunt down a few "Old" racers that would remeber as most the info is vauge. Only Hi-lighting bigger races and wins.
    Last edited by Gian; 05-15-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Liked
    977 times

You guys are really old.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    You guys are really old.
    Beats the alterntive. Are you still wearing short pants?
    Gian likes this.

Liked
    464 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    You guys are really old.
    Dam Young wiper snapers always got something to say don't cha'

This onehttp://www.allamericanracers.com/Riverside2.pdf kind of made me sad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast