+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ariel Atom Honda Powered?

Liked
    10 times

Quote Originally Posted by dp35 View Post
    Name: Darin
    Home: Walnut Creek, CA
    Car: Ariel Atom, Honda engine (NA 245hp)
    Experience: My first track car was a 2000 Porsche 996, which I loved and tracked several times. But that car was too pristine to track a lot, and I was hooked.

The Atom is a much more appropriate track car (maybe the most "appropriate" of all). I've tracked my Atom approx. 10-12 times now, and its been great. I love this car in so many ways, more than I thought I would. One interesting thing about the Atom that most people never think of - its actually a lot of fun to just cruise around on the street, slowly, in all kinds of weather.

Prior to HPDE's, I did some shifter kart racing, jet ski racing, and most of all motocross.

Favorite Track: I've driven T-Hill, Infineon, Laguna, and Reno-Fernley, and I love them all. Its hard to pick a favorite, but if I had to I guess it would be Infineon, because its closest to my house, and plenty challenging.

Here's a few videos of me driving the Atom, and a couple of stills from my most recent visit to Thunderhill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvdilDQ-XBI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0s9Dl93W2Y
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6Ovmklg8fU

PS - I just discovered this forum, and I think its a great idea. There's plenty of other forums discussing track driving, but they're all focused on a particular car, instead of the events and tracks.
    Did you get the Honda engine out of factory AA? They don't list that on their web!

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jaku View Post
    Did you get the Honda engine out of factory AA? They don't list that on their web!
    Yes, sort of. I got mine used, and it was the 1st Atom brought into the US, and the 1st Honda powered "Atom 2" in the world.

The latest is the Atom 3, which just came out in England, and will also be produced by Brammo in Oregon for the US market, starting soon. The Atom 3 isn't significantly different, except for the fact that ALL Atom 3's will be Honda powered, including those for the US market. So no more GM powered Atoms, which is nice.

Liked
    2 times

ooohh i'll be looking forward to the aa3. i'm surprised none of the top dog honda tuners have played with the atom.

Liked
    546 times

I suspect that since Ariel already offers engines up to 300hp most owners don't need more power than that. You're already at 6lb/hp Why potentially sacrifice any engine reliability for fractions of seconds on track? (at some point there, you should just get a Formula Atlantic and a LOT faster).

I could be wrong...but that's my guess.

Steve

Liked
    2 times

So they're gonna be powered by supercharged K20 CTR engines again like the first AA?

Liked
    546 times

My understanding is that there will be a sporky 245hp setup that's normally aspirated, and a supercharged 300hp engine. That at least what Brammo was saying in November at the 'experience' -- but things could obviously change.

It makes sense, though...I never understood trying to shoehorn a 'middle' power rating in there.

Steve

Liked
    10 times

I will only buy it with Honda engine!

I bet a lot pp r like me!

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jaku View Post
    I will only buy it with Honda engine!

I bet a lot pp r like me!
    x2!

+ Reply to Thread