+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 50 of 50
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Areas of concentration of tracks in the US?

  1. #41
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Southern CT
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    0 times

    Default

    Did I say I was a Texan? I raced at Texas World Speedway in the early 70's. Green Valley Raceway and the street races in Austin, too. I am sorta thinking about Corpus Christi area. The four corners area of the N-E is appealing, too. Though I liked driving and skiing in the other "four corners" area, I doubt it has many tracks.
    Sure do appreciate all the input!
    Try this jalpeno son. It ain't hot!
    Pictures

  2. #42
    MJM
    MJM is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    108
    Liked
    9 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    You don't think the nice weather in California is an important cause of high real estate prices in the long term? Gimme a break . . .
    The statistics don't back up that claim. I don't have it at hand but there was a study showing that CA real estate followed the national average of price to income ratios (roughly 3:1) until the first boom in the 90's. The 3:1 ratio has been the long term average for decades, just like the beautiful weather along the coast in SoCal.

    It was the advent of the whacky loans that allowed CA, NYC, Boston, etc home prices to inflate and then burst. Not all of those places have nice weather. Even now the ratio in San Diego is around 5:1, but many are tied up in foreclosure or some kind of bailout loan modification.

    I fully expect a house on the beach in CA to be very expensive because of it's desirability, but I expect a very rich person to own it. Those few homes don't do much to the average. When hundreds of zero lot line homes in Temecula are being sold for $400,000 to people making maybe $50,000 then the average goes up. If you have never been there, Temecula is NOT beach front property with nice weather....it's the desert.

    So in conclusion, I do not think weather drives the average price of homes in CA. Ocean front in SoCal, sure....but not the average. The average USED to be well....average, and in line with national ratios. It's been inflating and bursting since the early 90's due to silly loans.

  3. #43
    MJM
    MJM is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    108
    Liked
    9 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    BRP one amateur racetrack, and not a very good one at that. It doesn't increase the number of road courses in California because it can be run in both directions, which is true about most but not all road courses.
    Concur.

    I do not understand why some people think Buttonwillow is a good track. It's narrow, bumpy, flat, and in a horrible location.
    Richard EVO likes this.

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1477 times

    Default

    I'm not talking about the last real estate bubble. I'm talking long term like since the 1950s at least. Real estate in desirable California metropolitan and suburban areas is worth a lot more because of the great weather. If you don't believe that, you are full of crap. Go buy a cheap house in Arkansas.

    Quote Originally Posted by MJM View Post
    The statistics don't back up that claim. I don't have it at hand but there was a study showing that CA real estate followed the national average of price to income ratios (roughly 3:1) until the first boom in the 90's. The 3:1 ratio has been the long term average for decades, just like the beautiful weather along the coast in SoCal.

    It was the advent of the whacky loans that allowed CA, NYC, Boston, etc home prices to inflate and then burst. Not all of those places have nice weather. Even now the ratio in San Diego is around 5:1, but many are tied up in foreclosure or some kind of bailout loan modification.

    I fully expect a house on the beach in CA to be very expensive because of it's desirability, but I expect a very rich person to own it. Those few homes don't do much to the average. When hundreds of zero lot line homes in Temecula are being sold for $400,000 to people making maybe $50,000 then the average goes up. If you have never been there, Temecula is NOT beach front property with nice weather....it's the desert.

    So in conclusion, I do not think weather drives the average price of homes in CA. Ocean front in SoCal, sure....but not the average. The average USED to be well....average, and in line with national ratios. It's been inflating and bursting since the early 90's due to silly loans.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

  5. #45
    RaceTape Ninja Force McCocken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    1,454
    Liked
    751 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    I always thought the four corners area where the Carolinas, Georgia and Tennessee meet would be geostrategic to race tracks. That would put you pretty close to Barber, Road Atlanta, Roebling Road, Carolina Motorsports Park, VIR, and Summit Point in West Virginia.
    There is also Atlanta Motorsports Park, which is new and has great reviews. I am hoping to drive it in May. Rumors are popping up of another road course between Charlotte and Wilmington pop up now and again.

    $500k in Charlotte, Raleigh or Atlanta buys a huge house in cleaner, progressive cities. Well, ATL has some smog issues, Charlotte is a little conservative (banking center), but Raleigh is pretty liberal. More and more tech sector transplants from NORCAL/SOCAL than I even imagined.

    My home in SOCAL for $500k was a grungy 20 yo POS with no yard. The homes I am looking at in RTP puts me into a home loaded with features, twice the room, 2x-3x the yard, built in the last 10 years and 1/4-1/3 the taxes. Half the purchase price ($250k)
    'Traffic' here is ridiculous...there isn't any. I am 1 hour for VIR, 2-2.5 hours from CMP, 5 from Summit Point, 5-6 from RA, Roebling and AMP. Barber is 7, Mid Ohio is 8. Where I am, near the border between two extremely acive NASA regions, you could cherry pick the events you like between the two.

    I considered Seattle and Portland about 2 years ago, but turned down those offers. The COL in Seattle was on par with SOCAL, 1-2 tracks. Portland was nice, but it had an odd culture to me. Great COL and a growing, vibrant metropolis, though. If I were to move to the PNW, Portland would probably be my choice.
    Last edited by Force McCocken; 02-19-2013 at 07:04 AM.
    Scargod likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

  6. #46
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,200
    Liked
    708 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    If I were to move to the PNW, Portland would probably be my choice.
    I lived in Southern OR for a few years and wouldn't mind moving back. It seems like a decent place to retire if you don't mind grey skies for half the year. From Southern OR you could tow to Thunderhill in 4 hours, Sonoma in 5ish, Portland in 4-5 and a couple more up to whatever is in Seattle.

    For my younger days, Portland would have been great. For retirement, I'd prefer the Ashland area.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Orlando,FL
    Posts
    385
    Liked
    114 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scargod View Post
    Did I say I was a Texan? I raced at Texas World Speedway in the early 70's. Green Valley Raceway and the street races in Austin, too. I am sorta thinking about Corpus Christi area. The four corners area of the N-E is appealing, too. Though I liked driving and skiing in the other "four corners" area, I doubt it has many tracks.
    Sure do appreciate all the input!
    Ah, so it is retirement we're talking about! LOL, you were racing at Texas World when I was crappin' up some diapers! Can't help you on Corpus Christi, cept' you'll be right in line for a Monster Hurricane!Thank-you global warming...

    I'm thinking you've got a decent bit of history and travel behind you to know exactly what's going to tickle your fancy, no?

  8. #48
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,671
    Liked
    2320 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MJM View Post
    When hundreds of zero lot line homes in Temecula are being sold for $400,000 to people making maybe $50,000 then the average goes up. If you have never been there, Temecula is NOT beach front property with nice weather....it's the desert..
    you guys would be surprised, but Inland Empire housing grew the fastest (of Cali, and may be country) in the last 12 months. home at Temecula now have multiple bids, a friend just put in a bid last week, among other 28 bids. 2/3 are cash offers. bottom is long gone guys.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

  9. #49
    MJM
    MJM is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    108
    Liked
    9 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    you guys would be surprised, but Inland Empire housing grew the fastest (of Cali, and may be country) in the last 12 months. home at Temecula now have multiple bids, a friend just put in a bid last week, among other 28 bids. 2/3 are cash offers. bottom is long gone guys.
    Those places also fall the fastest every time the bubble bursts. Caveat emptor.

  10. #50
    RaceTape Ninja Force McCocken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    1,454
    Liked
    751 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    I lived in Southern OR for a few years and wouldn't mind moving back. It seems like a decent place to retire if you don't mind grey skies for half the year. From Southern OR you could tow to Thunderhill in 4 hours, Sonoma in 5ish, Portland in 4-5 and a couple more up to whatever is in Seattle.

    For my younger days, Portland would have been great. For retirement, I'd prefer the Ashland area.
    Haven't spent a lot of time there. So far, we love being back in the Carolinas. Easy to live, good weather, smart economy. Easy flight to the islands, easy drives to the OBX or mountains. Good people that actually look you in the eye when you talk to them, too.
    Yer pal,
    Force

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts