+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Areas of concentration of tracks in the US?

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Yeah, but he also counted BRP as one, which it's really not.
    13CW and 1CCW are only in the same place on the map, the track is completely different.
    Tell me you're not seriously suggesting that Buttonwillow should be counted as 56 different road courses because it has 28 different configurations run in both directions.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    130 times

Yeah, but he also counted BRP as one, which it's really not.
    13CW and 1CCW are only in the same place on the map, the track is completely different.
    Sure but then by that argument thill and sears would also be multiple tracks. actually all of them but laguna.

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

Spring Mt would have to be considered 437 different tracks.
    ucfbrett and psychoazn like this.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1 View Post
    Spring Mt would have to be considered 437 different tracks.
    One for each ho in Pahrump . . .

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1882 times

Quote Originally Posted by krazik View Post
    actually all of them but laguna.
    ..And WSIR.
    Every track that can be driven both directions and is being used that way (meaning not in theory, but event organizers run it that way) is effectively two tracks.
    BRP is an extreme case where every time a corner gets replaced with another the config number changes, but the rest of the track is still the same.
    For example #1 and #13 which replaces Star Mazda with the Sweeper (either direction..), so I won't count it as whatever number Richard throws, but at least two.

Liked
    1477 times

Every track that can be driven both directions and is being used that way (meaning not in theory, but event organizers run it that way) is effectively two tracks.
    BRP is an extreme case where every time a corner gets replaced with another the config number changes, but the rest of the track is still the same.
    For example #1 and #13 which replaces Star Mazda with the Sweeper (either direction..), so I won't count it as whatever number Richard throws, but at least two.
    BRP one amateur racetrack, and not a very good one at that. It doesn't increase the number of road courses in California because it can be run in both directions, which is true about most but not all road courses.

Liked
    1477 times

..And WSIR.
    And Sonoma aka Sears Point fka Infineon -- a real professional racetrack, unlike BRP.

Liked
    1882 times

Tell us how you really feel about BRP, Richard, don't sugar coat it

BRP is a track that every organizer and racing body in the area put on their calender at least once a year, whether it is worthy of your high standards or not is irrelevant.
    While it might be true to most road courses that they can physically be run in both directions, if they are not actually being used both ways it's all in theory and makes no difference.

Liked
    3 times

Laguna reverse would be hilarious for me in my car. I would probably get stuck going up the corkscrew. 87whp is not the business.
    krazik likes this.
    Thanks to my sponsors: GarageStar and Limitless Motorsport

Liked
    130 times

Tell us how you really feel about BRP, Richard, don't sugar coat it

BRP is a track that every organizer and racing body in the area put on their calender at least once a year, whether it is worthy of your high standards or not is irrelevant.
    While it might be true to most road courses that they can physically be run in both directions, if they are not actually being used both ways it's all in theory and makes no difference.
    If brp is in your top 5 you need to get to more tracks. It's not a bad track but it's nothing special either.

Liked
    1882 times

Geez Ry, where did you see that?

Liked
    464 times

San Luis Obispo county is a very nice place to live. But your cut off from the world. Houses are cheeper and even more so in the out laying areas. I lived in Atascadero for 8 years. Paso has more extrem weather. It is nice being close-er to middle from all the tracks. But getting parts and work done is not as easy. Great shops there, but they charge for their work. Shipping on all parts. Finding work is the hardest part. It's an old money area.
    Lived in Pismo and Nippomo too. They are a little farther from the tracks because it's not as much as a direct drive.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

MJM
    Liked
    9 times

I did the same map study back when I was in flight school and was deciding which coast to request. West Coast wins, although VIR is still my favorite.

MJM
    Liked
    9 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Prices are high out here, especially for real estate (and gas). Having warm weather year 'round in SoCal has its price.
    While I agree that prices are high out here, it isn't because of the weather. Gas is expensive because taxes are higher and the state requires a unique fuel blend which drives up prices. Real estate is expensive because of whacky loan to income ratios inflated by lax loan regs during the bubble and propped up by the bailout.
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by Spettro View Post
    Very true. We're a good 50 miles east of SF and still paid over a half million for our house and it's under 2000sq/ft. Pretty good sized lot though and in a nice neighborhood, you get what you pay for in the bay area generally.
    $500k for a 2000sqft house would be the deal of the century here.

Liked
    2 times

Just sold a nice suburban houston home , 3250 sq ft , 95 ft lot , 3 car garage for $ 272K

Plus we have no state income tax

Tracks :
    - MSRH
    - TWS
    - H2R
    - MSRC
    - TMS
    - NOLA
    - Hallett

With all the bucks you save on real estate & taxes you can travel to a cooler climate Jun-Sept

The racing and track days are great Oct-May , but Jun-Sept is brutal
    Scargod likes this.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by MJM View Post
    While I agree that prices are high out here, it isn't because of the weather. Gas is expensive because taxes are higher and the state requires a unique fuel blend which drives up prices. Real estate is expensive because of whacky loan to income ratios inflated by lax loan regs during the bubble and propped up by the bailout.
    You don't think the nice weather in California is an important cause of high real estate prices in the long term? Gimme a break . . .
    Red_5 likes this.

Liked
    34 times

I'm born and raised in Southern California. The weather is definitely one big thing keeping me in the state. There are plenty of negatives to living in LA but the positives are even greater. Don't know if I would choose to live here based on track selection but you can't beat the collection of culture, food, art, things to do, etc in such a concentrated area.

Liked
    114 times

Woah, Scargod! That's a pretty big move you're making. I know because I've made it.:-) There are a few questions no one's really touched upon and you should consider.

1.If you're from the "New England" part of CT, or "New York City" part, consider if you're comfortable with "downshifting" a bit. There's definitely a more laid-back attitude out here and if you're used to being blunt and to the point, you will find it hard to fit in. Consider if your politics will work out here as well. Even if you choose not to discuss it, it's all around you and can be somewhat pervasive. If you don't care, or it doesn't bother you either way, you're golden.

2. TSTILES makes a good point in that Texas has some pretty nice tracks all within 3-4hrs of each other. You'll run into the same summer-time heat issues as Texas if you're living in So.Cal-except it may/will be a humid heat. Easier on the car, less so on you! And if you're looking to get your fix in the summertime, you can just head up 95, get some running in on the 10 or so tracks littering the Interstate and if you still have anyone living up north, well, now you've got your reason for visiting.

3. If you just NEED to drive the tracks in California, you're only a couple of days away living in Texas. Drive Laguna on a thurs/friday (cheaper), do Sonoma sat, and finish up with T-Hill sunday. BOOM! done!

I'm truly not trying to bag on California-it's beautiful out here, but the facts are, there are so many more great tracks east of the Mississippi and it's WAY CHEAPER to do it all from Texas. OH, and my "line 1" from above still works-except for a tiny change I made in the second sentence!

1.If you're from the "New England" part of CT, or "New York City" part, consider if you're comfortable with "downshifting" a bit. There's definitely a more laid-back attitude out here and if you're used to being blunt and to the point, you will fit in. Consider if your politics will work out here as well. Even if you choose not to discuss it, it's all around you and can be somewhat pervasive. If you don't care, or it doesn't bother you either way, you're golden.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast