+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Anyone ride bikes?

4 doors 2 seats
    Liked
    149 times

sd i totally get where you are coming from and appreciate the insight into your perspective as a riding on the street. If everyone rode and drove with the same level of concentration you apply to riding the road would be a lot safer place. Sadly based on the number of people I see riding around in shorts and t-shirts and even sandals I cannot help but assume you are part of the minority.

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    The problem is that everything seems predictable,but in real life no on ecan predict the future.When someone feels comfortable and in control the lightning strikes.Ask me how i know.......

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
    Sadly based on the number of people I see riding around in shorts and t-shirts and even sandals I cannot help but assume you are part of the minority.
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    I'll repeat - 99% of the accident's I've seen are avoidable and a result of the rider either 1) not paying attention or 2) doing something stupid. I guess I could add 3) not being a competent rider as well.
    That fits under #2.

Also solidly agree with everything SDSU said. I would add that, because of all that, it should be obvious that motorcycles are not for everyone. Don't get on one if you are not competent enough to manage the risks.

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    The problem is that everything seems predictable,but in real life no on ecan predict the future.When someone feels comfortable and in control the lightning strikes.Ask me how i know.......
    Well that settles it, I'm never driving/riding/flying/floating in/on anything ever again.

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    Well that settles it, I'm never driving/riding/flying/floating in/on anything ever again.
    OTOH walking close to tall buildings may lead to a planter falling on your head,or microwave I will still take the bike over walking,but come on guys,it is downright dangerous no matter how good,concentrated and predictable the rider is.Huge percent of the accidents are easily avoidable,many could be avoided with skills and luck,but there are plenty of situations where none of the above could help.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    OTOH walking close to tall buildings may lead to a planter falling on your head,or microwave I will still take the bike over walking,but come on guys,it is downright dangerous no matter how good,concentrated and predictable the rider is.Huge percent of the accidents are easily avoidable,many could be avoided with skills and luck,but there are plenty of situations where none of the above could help.
    Now I see what happened. All my talk of how almost every accident is avoidable come across as me saying, "Bikes are safe if you are constantly vigilant." I did not mean it to come across that way. Bikes are dangerous; statistics don't lie. Caution can't prevent some accidents, such as invisible oil slicks, a blow out caused by debris, and gravel on the other side of a blind corner in a canyon. Those are some of the risks inherent in the activity, and must be found acceptable by the rider. I would have to clarify my remarks earlier: almost all accidents involving other vehicles are avoidable. The rest is in the hands of luck.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    855 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    From a race in June 2004.

From what I see in this photo, Emelio would drop Perez no problem. My (totally) wild guess is that Emilio rides at least 100 miles a week, has a low 40's bpm resting heart rate and can sustain about 1/3 horsepower (300 watts). Plus he was an early adopter of a 34 cog, low gear, front sprocket. The guy never ceases to amaze!
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 05-17-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Liked
    19 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    From what I see in this photo, Emelio would drop Perez no problem. My (totally) wild guess is that Emilio rides at least 100 miles a week, has a low 40's bpm resting heart rate and can sustain about 1/3 horsepower (300 watts). Plus he was an early adopter of a 34 cog, low gear, front sprocket. The guy never ceases to amaze!
    batmanvssherlockholmes.jpg

Liked
    4 times

I started riding in '98 on a Ducati 748, caving to pressure from friends to get a bike. I was terrified of the thing, but a few months later, just as I was getting comfortable, the same friends drug me to a track day at Pocono Raceway. I wrecked the bike halfway through the day, and was completely hooked. Within a year I was racing and instructing on my off weekends for some local clubs, and no longer riding on the street at all. I raced Ducati 748's and later Yamaha R6's until 2005 when I pretty much quit cold turkey, partly for financial reasons and partly because I have extreme hobby ADD. I still ride motorcycles on the street, building customs in my spare time. I just did my first car track day this past Thursday in my C5 FRC, and once again I'm hooked. It was my first time on a track since '05, but the difference between bikes and cars is pretty marked. Turn entry seems later and mid corner speed slower, but I'm a total car noob so that could be me. I also feel much less "connected" to the car. Despite a race seat and 6pt harness, I didn't feel as integrated and connected to the machine. On a bike, it's a part of you, it's almost zen like, and the concentration required is off the scale since so much is going on at once. A bike track day also has far more "incidents", since there is no such thing as an easy off track and there is much more passing, and on a race weekend we would crash like crazy. Typically at least one guy would die or be seriously injured each year in the Mid Atlantic Region. In practice for one of my first race weekends I saw a guy die hitting the wall on the FUSA course at Pocono, literally 50 feet in front of me. Racing motorcycles is way cheaper than cars, and equipment matters little until you really get going fast. So having said all that, I can tell you that the adrenaline is ridiculous, especially in racing. Nothing I have ever done in my life compares to the start of a motorcycle race. 40 guys from a standstill racing into turn 1 on cold tires all leaning on each other. There is just nothing like it. Anyway, sorry for the long post. Unfortunately I'm too old and fat to fit in my race suit anymore (it still hangs on my garage wall), but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed my car track day last week, and I'm here to stay, at least until the funds run out. I say give it a try, there is danger in everything, but each flirt with it makes us feel more alive. Think of all the suckers driving around in their minivans who will never really know what it is to go fast. Here's a shot of me in one of my early races at VIR, CCS amateur #152.

Last edited by moespeeds; 06-10-2012 at 06:48 PM.

Liked
    15 times

used to race bikes in high school lol before I broke a bone and decided to quit

31_536262333855_6133_n.jpg

*this pic was taken at SUGO, Japan when I attended the Yamaha Summer Camp
    momofoolio Racing - http://momofoolio.webs.com

2nd Gen momofoolio Racing Time Attack S2000 - 07 Laguna Blue

Now Full Time Drift Machine - 93 Silvia 240SX S13 KA24DE"T"

New Drift Project - 98 LS14

W2W Companion - 90 NA6 Miata

Special Thanks: WestEnd Alignment, Rising Star Motors, APR Performance, SportCar Motion, Pit Garage, eXtremeSpeed, PuddyModRacing, Berk Technology & Amsoil

Forever Missed: 04 G35, 04 Miata, 04 BMW 325ci, 02 S2000, 91 & 98 Nissan 240SX

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3