+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Anyone ride bikes?

Liked
    1477 times

Julian - Where have you been lately?
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    7 times

lurking and planning a wedding. hahaha i'm getting hitched this saturday. woot woot

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by julian View Post
    lurking and planning a wedding. hahaha i'm getting hitched this saturday. woot woot
    Congratulations! Better you than me.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    +1 for starting on a dirt bike. Learning how to fling and slide a bike on dirt will teach you more about advanced motorcycle handling and create better instincts than weeks at a riding school for street bikes.
    Riding in the dirt is maybe the bike equivalent of snow driving or autocross for cars.
    Perfectly said. Listen to this guy.

Liked
    858 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    I rode motorcycles, sport bikes for a while in the 80's. I gave it up because I couldn't get my self to ride them slow. I loved the feeling of the bike squirming at the limit of traction. That was fun. That was also guaranteed to put you on the pavement now and then. I didn't like riding them slow so I sold it and went back to my first passion, cars.
    We also know that Emilio rides another kind of bike (and won't tell us if he shaves his legs) - just like Kobayahi's teamate, Sergio Perez (who doesn't shave his legs).

perez.jpg

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

i have to disagree there. it's losing trust in other people not in oneself. in general, the older you get the more responsibilities you have, and most people come to the realization that it's not worth the risk to ride.

had an older 750 yamaha and 450 kawa in michigan, but when i came back to california there was no way i'd want to ride on the street with the idiot drivers around here. everytime i see a bike it's tempting, but i don't want to die. even if i only rode a bike at the track i'd probably take it too close to my limit.

my friend with dirt bikes took me to the MX track and it was a blast. dirt bikes are the way to go. if you grew up sliding and jumping your bmx or mtn bike around, getting on a MX track is barrels of fun.
    I think virtually every accident is avoidable. This doesn't imply both parties are always at fault, but I do mean that a motorcycle rider can usually blame himself for not exercising an over abundance of caution. For example, when at a light, I always lane split to avoid the possibility of being rear ended by an idiot. When someone ahead is planning a left turn across my lane of travel, I would, if safe, change lanes to the right-most lane, to create a time buffer before he's suddenly in front of me, should he choose to play chicken.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

4 doors 2 seats
    Liked
    149 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    I think virtually every accident is avoidable. This doesn't imply both parties are always at fault, but I do mean that a motorcycle rider can usually blame himself for not exercising an over abundance of caution. For example, when at a light, I always lane split to avoid the possibility of being rear ended by an idiot. When someone ahead is planning a left turn across my lane of travel, I would, if safe, change lanes to the right-most lane, to create a time buffer before he's suddenly in front of me, should he choose to play chicken.
    that's a pretty bold statement. I don't even ride bikes but I cannot help but disagree. Way too many distracted idiots in cars inadvertently trying to kill people on bikes. I cannot count the number of times I have see someone on a bike not splitting lanes on the freeway and someone will change lanes right into their lane without even looking. The only way the majority of bike accidents are avoidable is by not being on a bike.

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ Like I said, the guys splitting lanes on the freeway know what their lives are worth. Who am I to doubt their judgment when I need to change lanes?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2422 times

Default For Richard

From a race in June 2004.

Loose Caboose likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

4 doors 2 seats
    Liked
    149 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    ^^^ Like I said, the guys splitting lanes on the freeway know what their lives are worth. Who am I to doubt their judgment when I need to change lanes?
    I completely agree, if you are splitting lanes you are asking for it. But I have seen people change lanes right into guys on bikes that are NOT splitting lanes just cruising with traffic both on and off the street. How is that any way the riders fault?

Liked
    2320 times

this happened to me, and I kinda quit riding a bike since.

I was stopped at a traffic light ~9pm for at least 15 seconds already ...
    I heard a tire screeeeeeeech, brake lockup and a car stopped next to my lane, sideway... about 10ft away...
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    7 times

SDSUsnowboards would argue that is preventable since you should have been watching your mirrors ready to accelerate out of there!

Liked
    4 times

i have minimal big bike (2 wheels over 250 lbs) riding experience. less than say 30 hours total. but i have tons of 50 cc scooter time (i ride it like a mad man in Taiwan) and some road bicycle time. couple of weeks ago my friend made me an offer i couldn't refuse. he prepped a Honda VT1000 (big twin), drove it to Sears Point so all i had to do was arrive and ride. it was also for the annual 3J's charity event (all money go to charity) so how can i say no? i ditched worked and had a fabulous time. 6 x 20 minute sessions at my favorite track on 2 wheels:

1st session impression - holy v twin vibration! I thought the track was going to feel bigger but it actually feels the same. Slight overcast with gentle breeze. Perfect track weather!

2nd session felt like a clumsy sob, trying to use both f and r brakes and match rev down shifting. arrg i did horrible.

3rd session stop using rear brakes all together. felt much better. also learning to relax my arms and use core to ride.

4-6 session basically learning to trust the bike/tires and lean more and more. fabulous times.

in the end, i concluded that i dislike v twins. and i hate mass. looking into a sports 600 for the track. maybe. or some mini bikes at kart tracks for low speed (sub 60 mph) 2 wheel fun. much safer and just as fun. big bikes are way more dangerous. heck even dirt biking is fun and a lot safe.

in one session an older dude (40's maybe?) was down at the slowest part of the track (Sears Point AMA course, the chicane) and it looked like he was in some major pain!

ps, didn't buy the track photos because they were not crystal clear. if i was gonna pay for the photos they better be worth the price. i felt it wasn't professional standard...
    Last edited by ghettoracer; 05-16-2012 at 04:45 PM.
    http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...g-civic-75.gif
    Yes, I'm the flying Chinaman!
    N1 Concepts 2012 | AKMEE Motors 2012 | AKMEE Engineering 2004 | G.SPEED Racing 1995
    My Bizarre and Twisted Reality Blog is Back! http://ghettoracer.wordpress.com

RON PAUL FTW

Liked
    4 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    this happened to me, and I kinda quit riding a bike since.

I was stopped at a traffic light ~9pm for at least 15 seconds already ...
    I heard a tire screeeeeeeech, brake lockup and a car stopped next to my lane, sideway... about 10ft away...
    when you are on 2 wheels you have to be super aware. i always check mirror making sure cars behind me are stopping. you life depends on it! here's an idiot from tw:

lucky to be alive - Taiwanese scooter rider fail 2011 - YouTube
    http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...g-civic-75.gif
    Yes, I'm the flying Chinaman!
    N1 Concepts 2012 | AKMEE Motors 2012 | AKMEE Engineering 2004 | G.SPEED Racing 1995
    My Bizarre and Twisted Reality Blog is Back! http://ghettoracer.wordpress.com

RON PAUL FTW

Liked
    165 times

I split lanes all the time. It can be done perfectly safely. Actually, IMO it's probably a little bit safer because you always have a gap to duck into (to the left or right) and you only have to worry about what is going on in front of you. If you're just sitting with traffic, you have to worry about what is in front/side/rear of you and you generally have nowhere to go if someone swerves into you.

Again, common sense is huge. I never split lanes going more than ~10mph faster than traffic, which leaves me time to react/stop/swerve if I have to. I'm always scanning the road/cars ahead of me. Rider competency is also huge -- to be safe on a bike, you HAVE to have a thorough command of your bike. You have to know how to corner/brake quickly and at the limit. Just like having that ability in a car makes you a much safer driver. Same thing.

All that having been said, I certainly do not enjoy riding in traffic. At the end of the day, having all those cars around you is just not fun and is not what a sportbike is for. It is happy at the track or on a winding road with no cars. But if I get stuck in traffic, it is not a big deal.

I'll repeat - 99% of the accident's I've seen are avoidable and a result of the rider either 1) not paying attention or 2) doing something stupid. I guess I could add 3) not being a competent rider as well.

Sir flink
    Liked
    553 times

The car driver hits the horn, but not the brake.

Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
    that's a pretty bold statement. I don't even ride bikes but I cannot help but disagree. Way too many distracted idiots in cars inadvertently trying to kill people on bikes. I cannot count the number of times I have see someone on a bike not splitting lanes on the freeway and someone will change lanes right into their lane without even looking. The only way the majority of bike accidents are avoidable is by not being on a bike.
    I have had someone attempt to occupy the same time and space as me more times than I can recall. I have had to dodge someone travelling the wrong way in my lane. I've been side swiped. I've avoided a wheel barrow and a mattress in the middle of the I-5 at night. I lane split every day that I had the bike; sometimes drivers would intentionally bar my path because they don't understand/like that lane splitting is legal. They think you are a dick for doing it. When lane splitting I have a few fingers cover the brakes and another on the horn. I am ready to brake, accelerate or swerve at any moment. I look into people's mirrors to see what they are looking at and what they are doing. After a while, you can read people and traffic. Situations are predictable, and you can adjust your speed and attention to anticipate things and react. most days go by without a single event. All too often, action is required to keep your skin.

I've been flipped off and insulted. I've been sprayed with washing fluid. I've been tail gated. Part of the danger of riding a motorcycle is the perception others have toward you. There are a lot of bigots out there who are quick to assign hate and blame, and to them you are less than a person. They will target you, or otherwise be willfully negligent. In other cases, people can't be assed to use turn signal and check their mirrors and shoulders. Some people claim bikes are hard to spot. I've never had a problem spotting bikes in my mirrors.

I carved canyon roads frequently. I've hit gravel unexpectedly and I've been caught in the rain more than once. I've been hit with rocks and debris in the legs, chest, neck and helmet at speed.

This was all in the span of 2 years and 30,000 miles on a Honda CBR 600f4.

Bikes are not comfortable. You are responsible for you own safety. Every ounce of your concentration is required at all times. In every situation above that could have ended in death, mayhem, or injury, I came out OK because, and only because, I saw and I took action. Too many drivers these days don't see and we are all too quick to blame someone else.

I feel safer on a motorcycle than I do in a car, if you can believe that. On a motorcycle I can see and hear everything around me. The whip of the wind and the vibration of the motor between my legs slaps me into wakefulness. I am alert, on guard, and lucid. In the few instances that I was not those things, disaster was only a moment away. I have had close calls that were my fault. In a car I am comfortable. The cabin is temperature controlled, the motor is suspended on rubber cushions, and I view the world around me through the bars of a cage. It's a video game, and it's easy to find my mind wander, or my thoughts turn elsewhere other than the task at hand. In the back of my mind I know that death is unlikely, and a mistake will be turned into a second chance.

Not always so on a motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
    I completely agree, if you are splitting lanes you are asking for it. But I have seen people change lanes right into guys on bikes that are NOT splitting lanes just cruising with traffic both on and off the street. How is that any way the riders fault?
    It is not the rider's fault. I'm not sure if anyone would argue it is. However, i would argue that the rider is ultimately in charge of his safety.

SDSUsnowboards would argue that is preventable since you should have been watching your mirrors ready to accelerate out of there!
    This is correct.
    Last edited by SDSUsnowboards; 05-16-2012 at 06:01 PM.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    2320 times

I have to admit I am a bigot towards Harley. I despise them. everyone of them have illegal muffler, super loud, slow as hell (compare to other bikes), ricer than a fart can Civic.... not a single aftermarket Harley part is to make it go faster, everything is about bling bling.... at least ricer Civic is fast (compare to other econo box).
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2320 times

may be I got nowhere to go ? I am at red, that means cross traffic is green...
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    may be I got nowhere to go ? I am at red, that means cross traffic is green...
    It's a judgment call. Mitigate your damages. I would usually lane split between cars at lights to avoid the whole issue. If that was not an option then it would be smart to stop on the first sensor that is available, usually about 15 feet or so from the intersection line. that's 15 feet + however many feet forward until you intersect with cross traffic. That should be enough space to get moving AND turning. If nothing else, it gives you time to roll forward, matching speeds with the car that's about the ram you, and relax your whole body. I've never had to take evasive action at a light though. I think that, out of all the possible ways to get injured, getting hit from behind is among the least likely.

2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast