+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Anyone here headed to the 2017 SCCA Runoffs at Indy?

Liked
    230 times

Default Anyone here headed to the 2017 SCCA Runoffs at Indy?

I see that registration opened up today and there were something like 500 entries in two hours.

Is anyone here racing at this years Ruboffs?

Liked
    1450 times

I registered. Indy will be 4 Runoffs in a row for me. The club has never raced Indy before so this is a bucket list kind of track for many of us.

Liked
    2138 times

I am qualified for this race and I plan to go.

I forget registration opened today. My bad. Am I screwed now on paddock parking?
    bawareca and jqsti2015 like this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    230 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post

I forget registration opened today. My bad. Am I screwed now on paddock parking?
    Chevy parking is in the gravel lot next to the Hondas. 1.2 miles away.
    Olitho, craZee and bawareca like this.

Liked
    2138 times

Quote Originally Posted by MikeColangelo View Post
    Chevy parking is in the gravel lot next to the Hondas. 1.2 miles away.
    Ha! I will probably end-up on the other side of town.

I am registered now. Holy Red Flag, there are now 692 entries. Everyone that can is racing Indy it appears. All classes have great car counts. 78 in Spec Miata.
    MikeColangelo, bawareca and dc2696 like this.

Liked
    230 times

Last I checked there were 124 SRFs!!!

85 were SRF3 and the rest were SRF2.

That will be the race to watch.
    SteveLevin and bawareca like this.

Liked
    1450 times

Holy Red Flag, there are now 692 entries. Everyone that can is racing Indy it appears. All classes have great car counts. 78 in Spec Miata.
    There will be oversubscribed classes and SCCA has a plan for those. The weird thing is for 2017 SCCA lowered the Runoffs requirements. Combine that with Indy and bam we are at 1269 drivers! I do not know how SCCA is going to pull this off.

Liked
    47 times

That does not sound like fun at all
    Thanks,

Chad
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype #02 (Chassis #20)
    1969 911ST vintage racer
    1972 911T Numbers Matching under restoration in my garage

Liked
    230 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    There will be oversubscribed classes and SCCA has a plan for those. The weird thing is for 2017 SCCA lowered the Runoffs requirements. Combine that with Indy and bam we are at 1269 drivers! I do not know how SCCA is going to pull this off.
    I'm assuming that they have a driver count cut-off. Is that not the case?

Also, good point about Runoffs requirements. I hope the SCCA doesn't change them as I suspect this is an anomaly. Next year, the Runoffs will be at Sonoma and I predict a driver count similar to what was seen at Laguna Seca back in 2014 (550 or so?).

Liked
    2138 times

Quote Originally Posted by Plavan View Post
    That does not sound like fun at all
    We should be celebrating the resurgence of driver counts at car races. We are losing our young base to Forza, Snapchat, etc.

There is a trend where the new youth is not so inclined to get a driver license. They can escape via their iPhone and social media. Racing is done from the safe confines of the bedroom at 1 AM in the morning.
    MikeColangelo and bawareca like this.

Liked
    2138 times

Liked
    2138 times

I looked over the registration again. It is up to 1435. That just seemed too over the top.

Upon closer scrutiny the car count is actually 830. All the other counts in the total at the bottom include the duplicate car counts for the practice days.

Still, that is an amazing car count. I still say we are perhaps entering another golden age for wheel to wheel racing we have not seen in 30 years.
    MikeColangelo and CharleyH like this.

Liked
    1450 times

Still, that is an amazing car count. I still say we are perhaps entering another golden age for wheel to wheel racing we have not seen in 30 years.
    I hope so or it is the perfect storm...Runoffs in middle of the country, SCCA lowered participant requirements, and It's "the Brickyard".
    Olitho and MikeColangelo like this.

Liked
    230 times

I hope so or it is the perfect storm...Runoffs in middle of the country, SCCA lowered participant requirements, and It's "the Brickyard".
    While I think SCCA club racing is healthy, at least nationwide, I suspect the main reason for the record-breaking entry count is due to the latter.

Liked
    432 times

Need to get the LeMons staff involved. They have experience with these types of car counts LOL

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by MikeColangelo View Post
    I see that registration opened up today and there were something like 500 entries in two hours.

Is anyone here racing at this years Ruboffs?
    We are headed out there with two cars. Making my 7th run at H Prod, and my wife is making her first Runoffs start in SM.

No idea where Bob and Oli were coming up with those crazy numbers, but registration is just over 850, and 900 was anticipated. Entries will still trickle in over the next month, but as the event gets closer we typically see 20 or so drop out - cars dont get done, life gets in the way, etc.

If you read the event supps and various press releases this number was expected, and the schedule built with room for an extra group for each day of qual. In reality only two classes are likely to be impacted by the 72 car race cap, SM and SRF3. Overflow SRF3 cars will qual with SRF, and excess SM will get the added run group. The top 60 cars qual on time, the remainder will have an LCQ race on Thursday to get one of the last 12 slots for the championship race. Everyone gets to "race" this way, although for those that cant crack the top 72 cars only get a qual race. There is also the potential for the 115% qual rule to actually get used this year, which parks the rolling road blocks.
    Last edited by RacerJason99; 07-21-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    MikeColangelo likes this.

Liked
    34 times

Paddock reg is not open yet, Aug 1st it opens for multi-car teams, Aug 8 for individuals. I suspect the land rush this year we due to limited test day entry space, and a lot of people that had not gone in recent years trying to get their car number because it was not reserved.

Liked
    3 times

We should be celebrating the resurgence of driver counts at car races. We are losing our young base to Forza, Snapchat, etc.

There is a trend where the new youth is not so inclined to get a driver license. They can escape via their iPhone and social media. Racing is done from the safe confines of the bedroom at 1 AM in the morning.
    https://www.facebook.com/donutmedia/...5355790850586/

Plenty of young people driving cars on race tracks, they just aren't at SCCA events. The whole young people aren't into cars thing is a fallacy. Yeah, maybe in large cites where cars are not needed. However, there is a lot of middle america and less populated areas where cars will always be needed.

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy8085 View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/donutmedia/...5355790850586/

Plenty of young people driving cars on race tracks, they just aren't at SCCA events. The whole young people aren't into cars thing is a fallacy. Yeah, maybe in large cites where cars are not needed. However, there is a lot of middle america and less populated areas where cars will always be needed.
    Dont get fooled by a big crowd of show cars and a flashy video. The last one of those events, at Gingerman, reportedly had about 60 cars take part in on track activities. Additionally reports are the track may not be interested in having that group back at its facility due to some of the off track activities.

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by RacerJason99 View Post
    Dont get fooled by a big crowd of show cars and a flashy video. The last one of those events, at Gingerman, reportedly had about 60 cars take part in on track activities. Additionally reports are the track may not be interested in having that group back at its facility due to some of the off track activities.
    Yeah right. The dudes who run grid life have been running events at gingerman for many years and will continue to do so. Lots of young people have show cars. Including them increases the possibility of more people getting involved with on track stuff.

Edit- here are some stats from the Midwest festival at gingerman. From the mouth of one of the organizers, whom is a buddy.

Feel free to update that with these stats

8000+ spectators each day (capacity)
    200 show cars (sold out)

Hpde spots sold out in 45 seconds. (Beginner/intermediate/advanced/Instructor )

140+ time attack cars over weekend

50 drift cars including 14 Formula Drift current Pros.

2 nights of concerts.
    Lots of fun and smiles. Organized by club racers. Trying to build the sport
    Last edited by dizzy8085; 07-21-2017 at 08:03 PM.
    granth likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast