+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Anyone have info on the new track being built at Buttonwillow?

Liked
    61 times

Default Anyone have info on the new track being built at Buttonwillow?

I've seen what looks to be paving equipment set up near the access road headed into the track but Its been a little bit since ive heard any chatter about it. Anyone have any update info? Time line of opening, layout etc?

Liked
    2339 times

I do, but I need to remember what Mike Miserendino told me.

He is a member here. I forget his handle. We should ping him to tell us.

I bet he is getting ready to race the SCCA Super Tour this weekend at ACS.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    545 times

They are going to take out 50% of the turns, add pot holes and call it Big Buttonwillow.

Liked
    755 times

Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post
    They are going to take out 50% of the turns, add pot holes and call it Big Buttonwillow.
    They'll also have to ruin the paddock a put the main thoroughfare between the paddock and track entrance.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    594 times

I think the equipment you're seeing right now is actually Caltrans gear for repairing the 5, I heard they were paying the track to use the land as a staging yard while they are working the stretches in that are nearby.

Steve

Liked
    2343 times

When NASA had its Western States Championships there, I saw renderings for the new track, which can be joined with the new track to make some monstrously-long circuit or stand on its own. I think the new track was probably just a little shorter than the existing track.

If I remember the renderings correctly, the old track connects in and out with the new track between Star Mazda and the kink before Phil Hill.

If you go to the track, there should be fliers in the cafe.

What was most interesting is that the track will be made from the rubble gathered from the reconstruction of Interstate 5, which decreased the cost of raw materials for the track. It's also interesting that the reconstruction of I-5 in that area resulted from the federal stimulus package, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, which was signed by President Obama back in, what, 2009 or so?

So when you finally drive that new track, you can say, "Thanks, Obama." Or, "My tax dollars at work." Or something like that.

Sir flink
    Liked
    553 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    I think the equipment you're seeing right now is actually Caltrans gear for repairing the 5, I heard they were paying the track to use the land as a staging yard while they are working the stretches in that are nearby.

Steve
    And material which is removed from I5 is to be used to make the track extension.

I might have a copy of that flier they had. Shall have a look for it on Saturday.

Liked
    57 times

Unfortunately- I was hoping for a "Country Club" type membership for the new track with garages. I was told they are not doing that.

A Buddy and I have been talking about something like that in the Central Valley if they don't do it.
    Thanks,

Chad
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype #02 (Chassis #20)
    1969 911ST vintage racer
    1972 911T Numbers Matching under restoration in my garage

Liked
    274 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    They'll also have to ruin the paddock a put the main thoroughfare between the paddock and track entrance.
    And no toilet paper in any bathroom on Sunday!

Liked
    1487 times

Quote Originally Posted by Plavan View Post
    Unfortunately- I was hoping for a "Country Club" type membership for the new track with garages. I was told they are not doing that.

A Buddy and I have been talking about something like that in the Central Valley if they don't do it.
    Cartmanland Commercial - Video Clip | South Park Studios

Liked
    41 times

Development has been delayed by several years because of some endangered species issue.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    55 times

Hi Everyone!

Oli sent me the link to this thread last week, and he was 100% correct, I have been knee deep in stuff for the Majors race this past weekend at ACS.

I am happy to provide you all with an update, give me a day or so and I will be caught up. The equipment you have seen on the West side of the driveway is indeed part of the I-5 reconstruction project of the 10 miles between Lerdo and 46 Hwy. Their relationship has benefitted the track a lot...more on that later

P.S. I love the emojis on this forum

Liked
    61 times

Looking forward too it, Thanks!

Liked
    55 times

Hi Everyone-

Here is an update on our continued efforts to expand Buttonwillow Raceway and build a second race track. The project site is 185 acres and sits to the West of Phil Hill, all the way North to Lerdo Highway. There is a canal that meanders in the Northwest direction creating a natural Western edge of the land. We have multiple preliminary drawings that have track layouts at a minimum of 2.5 miles. The track will be built to FIA Grade four requirements with the exception of the hot pit garages and spectator grandstands. The surface will be 40 feet wide, and the front straight will be 50 feet wide.

If you have been to BRP in the past year and a half, chances are you have noticed the construction equipment and activity on the right hand side of the driveway as you arrive at the track. As I mentioned, Griffith Construction rented that ground from us while they rehabbed the 10 miles of I-5 in both directions from Lerdo to 46 Hwy. That project completed last week and as a result, BRP has acquired approximately 74,000 tons of Cal Trans spec road base. This is incredibly advantageous to us to put down a generous amount of base below the asphalt to help ensure a smooth asphalt surface. The fact that the road base is on site provides an incredible cost savings in both trucking and materials. That advantage represents several hundred thousand dollars in cost savings. We have also purchased the rubberized pellets and polymer oil products used during the 2014 repave of our original track that proved to be very successful. We are truly ready to make asphalt.

A long time SCCA and Cal Club member has generously donated the funding to erect a 9,000 square foot tower building that will have extensive food service capabilities and space to display 10 museum cars. The second story will serve as timing and scoring and race control for on track activity. Behind the tower building will be a 6,000 square foot covered patio with cooling misters. The architecture drawings for the building are complete and we are ready to proceed with construction.

Other plans for the 2nd track include 10+ acres of paved paddock area, an RV Park and a preliminary set of 8 rental garages similar to the set we just completed in March of 2016 at the original track.

Finally, we recently drilled a band new, 1,500 gallon per minute well near the canal that will provide us with much improved water quality for the entire facility. It is ready to be put into service once PG&E completes the power extension.

In conclusion, we are ready to build the new track tomorrow, BUT (you all knew the but was coming, right?) ONE, yes ONE, Giant Kangaroo Rat was discovered in the whole 185 acre project site. GKRs are endangered and are also far from giant. We affectionately refer to him as “the bachelor”. Right now it is up to California and Federal Fish and Wildlife to determine what needs to be done with the bachelor. We estimate this will take another year to solve and unfortunately a LOT of $$$$$$.

Thanks for the interest and the support for expansion at BRP and we hope to have positive things to report in the coming year.

-Mike Miserendino
    Buttonwillow Raceway

Liked
    1487 times

74,000 tons.

Holy crap. That's like 67,000 miatas.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    2339 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post

Holy crap. That's like 67,000 miatas.
    And they still won't make as much power as Thorvette!
    bawareca and Schmoe Money like this.

Liked
    2339 times

Quote Originally Posted by BRP Mike View Post
    A long time SCCA and Cal Club member has generously donated the funding to erect a 9,000 square foot tower building that will have extensive food service capabilities and space to display 10 museum cars. The second story will serve as timing and scoring and race control for on track activity. Behind the tower building will be a 6,000 square foot covered patio with cooling misters. The architecture drawings for the building are complete and we are ready to proceed with construction.
    Our curmudgeonly and missing The Sheriff would often dismiss SCCA Cal Club members for various reasons, but this is the sort of stuff I see out of Cal Club. The whole BRP and T-Hill tracks were built by local SCCA members. Those guys rock. You can't say that about any other racing organization.
    MikeColangelo, markn and wagnerov like this.

Liked
    755 times

Quote Originally Posted by BRP Mike View Post
    Hi Everyone-

Here is an update on our continued efforts to expand Buttonwillow Raceway and build a second race track. The project site is 185 acres and sits to the West of Phil Hill, all the way North to Lerdo Highway. There is a canal that meanders in the Northwest direction creating a natural Western edge of the land. We have multiple preliminary drawings that have track layouts at a minimum of 2.5 miles. The track will be built to FIA Grade four requirements with the exception of the hot pit garages and spectator grandstands. The surface will be 40 feet wide, and the front straight will be 50 feet wide. . .

. . . In conclusion, we are ready to build the new track tomorrow, BUT (you all knew the but was coming, right?) ONE, yes ONE, Giant Kangaroo Rat was discovered in the whole 185 acre project site. GKRs are endangered and are also far from giant. We affectionately refer to him as “the bachelor”. Right now it is up to California and Federal Fish and Wildlife to determine what needs to be done with the bachelor. We estimate this will take another year to solve and unfortunately a LOT of $$$$$$.

Thanks for the interest and the support for expansion at BRP and we hope to have positive things to report in the coming year.

-Mike Miserendino
    Buttonwillow Raceway
    Project sounds amazing, thanks for the update. I hope the rat situation gets figured out in a hurry. Now let's get some cattle grazing on that 185 acres to improve the soil before the track goes in.
    Last edited by Red_5; 01-18-2017 at 07:59 PM.
    Olitho likes this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    1487 times

You're just hoping one of the cows will solve the rat problem with a well aimed pie.
    Olitho, Red_5 and bawareca like this.

Liked
    545 times

Dump the 74,000 tons of base material on the rat. Problem solved!

My friend wanted to build a house on 5th generation owned family property and the inspector found "milkweed" growing and would not issue a permit. It was zoned agricultural so my friend put 20 head of cattle on it for 1 year and never feed them. The cows took care of the milkweed problem and the house was built!
    Olitho, MikeColangelo and bawareca like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast