+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Richard EVO

Thread: Anyone experienced with insurance totals?

Liked
    71 times

Default Anyone experienced with insurance totals?

I was rear ended on the highway the other day in my truck. Estimated repair costs from my insurance company's appraiser is just under $7K, but I'm going to have it reappraised at the body shop. I think the truck value was roughly $13K before the accident. I have a feeling the price won't be $13K after my carfax shows $7K in repairs. How much do cars usually depreciate after collisions? Will this likely be a total in the end? Will the insurance company play it fair or try to keep it from being a total?

Liked
    1477 times

Yes, I am experienced, so take this advice. NEVER use a body shop your insurance co. recommends. Go to the body shop that is associated with a local new car dealer for your make of car. Tell them you want the car totalled and you need a high estimate. They will give you a high estimate. Then go find the used car sales manager at the same dealership, show him the wreck, and ask him: "Now that you have seen the damage, would you sell this car on your used car lot if it was repaired to a high standard?" He will probably say "no way." Try to get it in writing (you probably can't). Then go back to your insurance co. with the high estimate and what the used car sales manager said, and demand that they total the car and pay you full value. It worked for me with a 1990 BMW 535i quite a long time ago.
    pucsicsal and Force McCocken like this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    71 times

Thanks Richard. The body shop was recommended to me by a buddy of mine and is not affiliated with my insurance.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

This thread almost gave me a heart attack! I thought it was your Spyder that got totaled.

I was going to call to see if the wing and 2zz were ok.

EDIT oh and, uh, are you OK?
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

+ Reply to Thread