+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By RacerJason99

Thread: Anyone Done SCCA Track Night in America

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    575
    Liked
    53 times

    Default Anyone Done SCCA Track Night in America

    I have run with a couple track day groups when I lived in Florida and with Extremespeed and Speedventures here in California and was wondering if anyone has run one of the SCCA Track Night in America events and if so, how they compare to other track days? Track time, track setup, cars on track at one time, tech, etc.

    I just saw they have a $50 member special for any April event and they are showing one at Willow Springs and one at Buttonwillow in April so I figured I would ask. Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    835
    Liked
    277 times

    Default

    I'm curious, too. The TrackNight in March at WSIR is on a Friday (March 10).

  3. #3
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,235
    Liked
    2343 times

    Default

    I have never heard of this and I thought I was plugged into SCCA stuff....
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    95
    Liked
    34 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I have never heard of this and I thought I was plugged into SCCA stuff....
    Due to age, and gold chains, you are not the demographic the TNIA info is sent to.
    Olitho and ucfbrett like this.

  5. #5
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,235
    Liked
    2343 times

    Default

    Not surprisingly this event is the afternoon/evening before the SCCA Majors/Super Tour Race weekend. There will be about 200 race cars and their tow rigs in the paddock by 7 AM the following morning. I wonder if some of the racers will use that afternoon and $50 to do test and tune.

    It will be interesting even in the advanced group to have 800 HP GT1 cars turning 1:17s and Formula Atlantics doing 1:12s in with the Mustangs and S2000s. ;-)

    Actually I don't think they will allow the race cars to run with this group as it would be mayhem.

    The April 28th event is the day before the Buttonwillow Super Tour race so it appears they are renting the tracks for a long weekend of promotion and racing. Here is the calendar - https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/events
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  6. #6
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,235
    Liked
    2343 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RacerJason99 View Post
    Due to age, and gold chains, you are not the demographic the TNIA info is sent to.
    Actually I think this is a brilliant fresh new idea from SCCA. I am embarrassed I did not think of it.

    What a great way to introduce new and existing drivers to the best of club level racing. 200 cars of all types of classes and speeds will be rolling into the paddock during the day of the event. SCCA should put a SM or SRF race right in the middle of the TNIA.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  7. #7
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,235
    Liked
    2343 times

    Default

    Here is the press release, novice, intermediate and advanced groups - https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/...n-by-tire-rack
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    95
    Liked
    34 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Not surprisingly this event is the afternoon/evening before the SCCA Majors/Super Tour Race weekend. There will be about 200 race cars and their tow rigs in the paddock by 7 AM the following morning. I wonder if some of the racers will use that afternoon and $50 to do test and tune.

    It will be interesting even in the advanced group to have 800 HP GT1 cars turning 1:17s and Formula Atlantics doing 1:12s in with the Mustangs and S2000s. ;-)

    Actually I don't think they will allow the race cars to run with this group as it would be mayhem.

    The April 28th event is the day before the Buttonwillow Super Tour race so it appears they are renting the tracks for a long weekend of promotion and racing. Here is the calendar - https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/events
    Dont think you will see it used as a TnT, "typically" racecars are excluded from TNIA events. However, some slower IT/SM/production based cars have been allowed in at some events. Usually these events are done mid-week, but it is not practical in this market, affordable tracks are a bit remote. The premise was being able to leave work a little early, drive to a track within an hour and have some fun. Hopefully by piggybacking the race weekend they get a little more attendance - great opportunity for workers or crew to have some fun.

  9. #9
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,235
    Liked
    2343 times

    Default

    Link to registration and schedule - https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/...-2017-march-10
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    575
    Liked
    53 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeColangelo View Post
    I'm curious, too. The TrackNight in March at WSIR is on a Friday (March 10).
    Only the April dates seem to qualify for the $50 price, however, looks like they have discounted the March event to $125

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    575
    Liked
    53 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I have never heard of this and I thought I was plugged into SCCA stuff....
    I am pretty sure they ran them last year and had some dates at Willow Springs, however, when I saw the initial schedule for this year a few months ago, no Southern California dates so I wasn't even watching until this special came out. Since I am driving from San Diego area, just trying to get an idea of if it is worth the time.

  12. #12
    Senior Member fatbillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    by the beach
    Posts
    2,087
    Liked
    1720 times

    Default

    These are really intros to tracking not a speedventures style trackday. I think a speedventures guy would be disappointment. This is really for the friend who shows up to say hi to you and maybe watch your race and wonders what it would be like to get his sportscar or your tintop racecar on the track and get a little taste and thrill. It was not designed for your buddy to take your racecar out and go 10/10ths. NASA has a whole HPDE program and many NASA HPDE guys run NASA races and vice versa for the extra tracktime and winning free tires. I think NASA is better set-up for grassroots. SCCA is still a race club. They dabble in HPDE but really have done a poor job of it because HPDE is just not their mission. The big question is how do you build and interest new racers? Tracknight is really SCCA's way to interest people but not commit to an HPDE program.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    835
    Liked
    277 times

    Default

    The March 10th event at Willow Springs will be at SOW and not the big track.

    I talked to four of my coworkers about this and two of them plan on registering for the event.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Gainesville, GA
    Posts
    155
    Liked
    23 times

    Default

    I have done a couple of these. They were run well, and I got a free shirt. The drivers meeting was extremely brief. Extremely minimal use of flags - limited to green, black, yellow only if I remember correctly. Caters toward the novice crowd. "Street cars" only.
    '09 rx8 sport

  15. #15
    RaceTape Ninja Force McCocken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    1,540
    Liked
    807 times

    Default

    They have been very popular in Atlanta, I'm told. Crowded, but safe, which was good to hear. There are some lower-priced HPDE companies in this area. They seem similar to Extremespeed out west, then we have Chin which sort of equate to Speed Ventures. My close friend runs events a notch below Chin, but caps the entrants and the groups stay smaller, more casual in atmosphere. That's who instruct and drive with.
    Yer pal,
    Force

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    575
    Liked
    53 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    They have been very popular in Atlanta, I'm told. Crowded, but safe, which was good to hear. There are some lower-priced HPDE companies in this area. They seem similar to Extremespeed out west, then we have Chin which sort of equate to Speed Ventures. My close friend runs events a notch below Chin, but caps the entrants and the groups stay smaller, more casual in atmosphere. That's who instruct and drive with.
    Good to hear that Chin is still around. I ran with them around 16 or 17 years ago when I lived in Florida and found their events to be very well run. And, thanks for the info on the TNIA events. I am figuring that the Willow one in April might not be too crowded since it is a week day and Willow is out in the middle of nowhere.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts