+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By RacerJason99

Thread: Anyone Done SCCA Track Night in America

Liked
    53 times

Default Anyone Done SCCA Track Night in America

I have run with a couple track day groups when I lived in Florida and with Extremespeed and Speedventures here in California and was wondering if anyone has run one of the SCCA Track Night in America events and if so, how they compare to other track days? Track time, track setup, cars on track at one time, tech, etc.

I just saw they have a $50 member special for any April event and they are showing one at Willow Springs and one at Buttonwillow in April so I figured I would ask. Thanks

Liked
    277 times

I'm curious, too. The TrackNight in March at WSIR is on a Friday (March 10).

Liked
    2343 times

I have never heard of this and I thought I was plugged into SCCA stuff....
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Due to age, and gold chains, you are not the demographic the TNIA info is sent to.
    Olitho and ucfbrett like this.

Liked
    2343 times

Not surprisingly this event is the afternoon/evening before the SCCA Majors/Super Tour Race weekend. There will be about 200 race cars and their tow rigs in the paddock by 7 AM the following morning. I wonder if some of the racers will use that afternoon and $50 to do test and tune.

It will be interesting even in the advanced group to have 800 HP GT1 cars turning 1:17s and Formula Atlantics doing 1:12s in with the Mustangs and S2000s. ;-)

Actually I don't think they will allow the race cars to run with this group as it would be mayhem.

The April 28th event is the day before the Buttonwillow Super Tour race so it appears they are renting the tracks for a long weekend of promotion and racing. Here is the calendar - https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/events

Liked
    2343 times

Quote Originally Posted by RacerJason99 View Post
    Due to age, and gold chains, you are not the demographic the TNIA info is sent to.
    Actually I think this is a brilliant fresh new idea from SCCA. I am embarrassed I did not think of it.

What a great way to introduce new and existing drivers to the best of club level racing. 200 cars of all types of classes and speeds will be rolling into the paddock during the day of the event. SCCA should put a SM or SRF race right in the middle of the TNIA.

Liked
    2343 times

Here is the press release, novice, intermediate and advanced groups - https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/...n-by-tire-rack

Liked
    34 times

Not surprisingly this event is the afternoon/evening before the SCCA Majors/Super Tour Race weekend. There will be about 200 race cars and their tow rigs in the paddock by 7 AM the following morning. I wonder if some of the racers will use that afternoon and $50 to do test and tune.

It will be interesting even in the advanced group to have 800 HP GT1 cars turning 1:17s and Formula Atlantics doing 1:12s in with the Mustangs and S2000s. ;-)

Actually I don't think they will allow the race cars to run with this group as it would be mayhem.

The April 28th event is the day before the Buttonwillow Super Tour race so it appears they are renting the tracks for a long weekend of promotion and racing. Here is the calendar - https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/events
    Dont think you will see it used as a TnT, "typically" racecars are excluded from TNIA events. However, some slower IT/SM/production based cars have been allowed in at some events. Usually these events are done mid-week, but it is not practical in this market, affordable tracks are a bit remote. The premise was being able to leave work a little early, drive to a track within an hour and have some fun. Hopefully by piggybacking the race weekend they get a little more attendance - great opportunity for workers or crew to have some fun.

Liked
    2343 times

Link to registration and schedule - https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/...-2017-march-10

Liked
    53 times

Quote Originally Posted by MikeColangelo View Post
    I'm curious, too. The TrackNight in March at WSIR is on a Friday (March 10).
    Only the April dates seem to qualify for the $50 price, however, looks like they have discounted the March event to $125

Liked
    53 times

I am pretty sure they ran them last year and had some dates at Willow Springs, however, when I saw the initial schedule for this year a few months ago, no Southern California dates so I wasn't even watching until this special came out. Since I am driving from San Diego area, just trying to get an idea of if it is worth the time.

Liked
    1720 times

These are really intros to tracking not a speedventures style trackday. I think a speedventures guy would be disappointment. This is really for the friend who shows up to say hi to you and maybe watch your race and wonders what it would be like to get his sportscar or your tintop racecar on the track and get a little taste and thrill. It was not designed for your buddy to take your racecar out and go 10/10ths. NASA has a whole HPDE program and many NASA HPDE guys run NASA races and vice versa for the extra tracktime and winning free tires. I think NASA is better set-up for grassroots. SCCA is still a race club. They dabble in HPDE but really have done a poor job of it because HPDE is just not their mission. The big question is how do you build and interest new racers? Tracknight is really SCCA's way to interest people but not commit to an HPDE program.

Liked
    277 times

The March 10th event at Willow Springs will be at SOW and not the big track.

I talked to four of my coworkers about this and two of them plan on registering for the event.

Liked
    23 times

I have done a couple of these. They were run well, and I got a free shirt. The drivers meeting was extremely brief. Extremely minimal use of flags - limited to green, black, yellow only if I remember correctly. Caters toward the novice crowd. "Street cars" only.
    '09 rx8 sport

Liked
    807 times

They have been very popular in Atlanta, I'm told. Crowded, but safe, which was good to hear. There are some lower-priced HPDE companies in this area. They seem similar to Extremespeed out west, then we have Chin which sort of equate to Speed Ventures. My close friend runs events a notch below Chin, but caps the entrants and the groups stay smaller, more casual in atmosphere. That's who instruct and drive with.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    53 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    They have been very popular in Atlanta, I'm told. Crowded, but safe, which was good to hear. There are some lower-priced HPDE companies in this area. They seem similar to Extremespeed out west, then we have Chin which sort of equate to Speed Ventures. My close friend runs events a notch below Chin, but caps the entrants and the groups stay smaller, more casual in atmosphere. That's who instruct and drive with.
    Good to hear that Chin is still around. I ran with them around 16 or 17 years ago when I lived in Florida and found their events to be very well run. And, thanks for the info on the TNIA events. I am figuring that the Willow one in April might not be too crowded since it is a week day and Willow is out in the middle of nowhere.

+ Reply to Thread