• 1 Post By CharleyH
  • 2 Post By SeanB
  • 1 Post By JulioG
  • 2 Post By jqsti2015
  • 14 Post By CharleyH
  • 3 Post By SteveLevin
  • 5 Post By CharleyH
  • 1 Post By Blackbird

Thread: Anyone with Audi R8 ownership experience?

Liked
    243 times

Default Anyone with Audi R8 ownership experience?

I am considering picking up a used Audi R8 convertible and am trying to find out what it is like to live with. Any advice would be appreciated. I am looking at the 2014 through 2016 body style and am primarily considering the v8 but would consider a v10 if I can get one for the right price.

I am open to other cars if they meet my criteria. I want something that is comfortable, reasonably sporty, and fun to drive, but it doesn't need to be crazy fast. This car won't see any track duty. I want a dual clutch automated manual transmission, good engine sound, and it must me a convertible. So far the only two cars I have found that fit that criteria are the R8 and the BMW M4. The Mercedes SL550 is close, but I don't think it has a dual clutch, and it isn't very sporty. I am also considering a C7 Z06 convertible, but it doesn't have a dual clutch, and I have already had two Corvette convertibles so I think I would like something else.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Charley
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    223 times

No ownership experience... that V10 at full song is glorious.

No interest in a Porsche?
    bawareca and CharleyH like this.

Liked
    64 times

The auto transmission was easily the worst part of the experience when I drove the 1st gen R8 at Exotics Racing. The 2nd gen has a true DCT.

That said, some of the newer autos rival or beat some of the older DCTs. Why not a naturally aspirated convertible 911 or a Boxster? The last Boxster Spyder is glorious..
    CharleyH likes this.

Liked
    243 times

Quote Originally Posted by SeanB View Post
    No ownership experience... that V10 at full song is glorious.

No interest in a Porsche?
    Quote Originally Posted by JulioG View Post
    The auto transmission was easily the worst part of the experience when I drove the 1st gen R8 at Exotics Racing. The 2nd gen has a true DCT.

That said, some of the newer autos rival or beat some of the older DCTs. Why not a naturally aspirated convertible 911 or a Boxster? The last Boxster Spyder is glorious..
    Yes, I understand that the automatic transmissions in the early R8s were very rough, but they changed to a true twin clutch transmission in the 2014 model year and that is why i am only looking at the later cars. A couple of years ago Audi loaned me an R8 for a weekend and I drove that car everywhere. The transmission on the new cars are fantastic.

Regarding the Porsches... I test drove a convertible turbo Carreras and the new boxter. They are both nice cars but I didn't like the engine note very much (no offense intended to any Porsche fans). Now that you mention it I should really go try them again.

Charley

Liked
    20 times

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyH View Post
    Yes, I understand that the automatic transmissions in the early R8s were very rough, but they changed to a true twin clutch transmission in the 2014 model year and that is why i am only looking at the later cars. A couple of years ago Audi loaned me an R8 for a weekend and I drove that car everywhere. The transmission on the new cars are fantastic.

Regarding the Porsches... I test drove a convertible turbo Carreras and the new boxter. They are both nice cars but I didn't like the engine note very much (no offense intended to any Porsche fans). Now that you mention it I should really go try them again.

Charley
    New generation of porsche transformed me into a porsche hater. I'm really not a fan of new engine sound, steering feel, chassis feedback.
    Maybe 991 gt3 is a different animal but I haven't test drove it yet.
    bellwilliam and CharleyH like this.
    VA(15) STI/FRS

Liked
    26 times

How about Jaguar F-Type R?
    http://touringcarclub.net/

Liked
    381 times

Quote Originally Posted by JulioG View Post

Being the owner of a Spyder I must agree. I cross shopped the R8 as well and it was a no brainer for me. The Spyder is the best car I've owned to date!
    Do you understand?

Liked
    243 times

Thanks for all of the input. I took another 718 for a drive and although it is a very nice car I just don't care for the sound of the engine, also the seats don't fit me very well. Regarding the F type, I really like these, but I just like the look, feel and sound of the R8. Here is a picture of my retirement present to myself. I am very happy with it.

Charley

Last edited by CharleyH; 09-23-2017 at 05:49 PM.

Liked
    609 times

That is awesome.

Will you adopt me?

Steve
    Jon H, bawareca and CharleyH like this.

Liked
    243 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    That is awesome.

Will you adopt me?

Steve
    Steve, as much as we would love to have you join the family... I just blew all my money on cars and can't afford another mouth to feed

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    2086 times

Congrats, pretty color!

+ Reply to Thread