+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Anybody Here Race A B-Spec Car?

Liked
    1720 times

I have a soft spot for Italian stuff and always liked the Fiat Abarth but they seem to roll over easily. I thought that was just rumor then saw an acquaintance of mine with a WC B-spec Abarth come over an off camber hill and the car just rolled on him.
    1.jpg
    MikeColangelo and bawareca like this.

Liked
    2356 times

A 500 rolled in the T5 bypass during practice for the 25 Hours of Thunderhill a couple of years ago. It still started the race.

Liked
    277 times

When I expressed interest in the B-Spec class, two B-Spec racers told me to avoid the Fiat 500 for the rollover issue and also low power.

Honda Fit, Mazda2, Chevy Sonic, and Mini Cooper seem to be the most popular choices.

Liked
    6 times

I just purchased a 2010 Honda Fit that I am building to run B Spec. Just got my Race car in a box kit from Honda and will begin building the car this weekend.
    MikeColangelo and ucfbrett like this.

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by chrisracer View Post
    I just purchased a 2010 Honda Fit that I am building to run B Spec. Just got my Race car in a box kit from Honda and will begin building the car this weekend.
    How cool you can buy an OTC kit and go racing. If you don't mind saying what kid of stuff is in the kit and what does it cost?

GMPP did pretty well with the corvette C5 T1 kit but they underestimated the need for better brakes. Do you know if the Honda kit is truely all you need?
    Last edited by fatbillybob; 03-16-2016 at 04:11 PM.

Liked
    103 times

it looks like fun, but my STL car is already slow to me, not sure I can handle slower AND bad suspension geo lol

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    How cool you can buy an OTC kit and go racing. If you don't mind saying what kid of stuff is in the kit and what does it cost?

GMPP did pretty well with the corvette C5 T1 kit but they underestimated the need for better brakes. Do you know if the Honda kit is truely all you need?
    Touring class philosophy did not allow brake upgrades early on, those came much more recently. Certainly did not help the Corvette drivers case that Heinricy felt the C5 brakes were adequate (he actually seemed to be insulted by the suggestion that the brakes were not good enough), and I think he kind of proved that. Even after a BBK was allowed he was still the fastest C5 out there while running OE brakes.

https://hpd.honda.com/racing-line/ra...r=06000F23SA10

Liked
    2528 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    A 500 rolled in the T5 bypass during practice for the 25 Hours of Thunderhill a couple of years ago. It still started the race.
    I was there, pretty scary. the 500 did not go off track, nobody around him, and rolled.....That just aint right in my book.

that reminds me that in the old days (late 70s - early 80s), Renault 5 was the only stock car that wasn't allowed to autocross.....
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 03-17-2016 at 10:04 AM.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    2356 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    I was there, pretty scary. the 500 did not go off track, nobody around him, and rolled.....That just aint right in my book.

that reminds me that in the old days (late 70s - early 80s), Renault 5 was the only stock car that wasn't allowed to autocross.....
    Isn't the non-ST Fiesta forbidden from auto crossing now?

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by RacerJason99 View Post
    Touring class philosophy did not allow brake upgrades early on, those came much more recently. Certainly did not help the Corvette drivers case that Heinricy felt the C5 brakes were adequate (he actually seemed to be insulted by the suggestion that the brakes were not good enough), and I think he kind of proved that. Even after a BBK was allowed he was still the fastest C5 out there while running OE brakes.
    Thanks for the link. And yes but H had the best of everything. Brakes did not make the C5 faster it made the C5 safer. In the early days of T1 we were going through pads in a weekend and rotors in 3 trackdays and new calipers anually! It was down right dangerous as we were all figuring out the change interval suffering fractured rotors, metal to metal on pads all of a sudden and spreading calipers causing all kinds of braking issues. H probably had a crew and parts were swapped well before they broke. Finally at Runoffs someone was airlifted out in a C5 crash failed brakes and the CRB decided to let us have brakes. Now I go 1 season on front rotors, have never changed rear rotors, and pads last minimum 3 race weekends but usually way more. In fact the only reason I got only 3 out of the last set is because of Runoffs at Daytona and a weekend at ACS both tracks with big braking zones.

Liked
    2528 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Isn't the non-ST Fiesta forbidden from auto crossing now?
    yeap. new stock non-ST Fiesta are forbidden in Solo 2 stock class. but I believe the list also includes Dodge Caliber, Fiat 500, Scion xB and iQ, Nissan Juke and Mini Countryman

it goes by a track width / height ratio...
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 03-17-2016 at 03:04 PM.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    6 times

Default Anybody here race a B Spec

FatbillyBob,

The Racecar in a box kit includes, Bilstein Shocks (front and rear), race springs (f&r), spring mounts, concentric bolts for neg camber, front rotors, pads, braided steel brake lines, belt to eliminate air cond compressor, cat back exhaust system, K&N air filter element and necessary restrictor plate. Cost of kit is $2900 from the Honda HPD site. To run the Fit in B Spec you need to purchase and install this kit.
    fit-2.jpg
    Here is a picture of the car as it sits. Will provide some build pics as I go along.
    MikeColangelo likes this.

Liked
    6 times

Default Anyone here run a B pec car?

scan0020.jpgI also run this car in Vintage racing:

Liked
    45 times

That looks like a Shannon chassis to me. One of my favorites from when Sports 2000 was still a thing in SCCA. Very clean lines.

Congrats on the B-spec build. Both cars look like a lot of fun.

Liked
    6 times

Very astute, it is a Shannon. It is chassis #4 the only original Shannon built to be a true S2000. The other six chassis were built to run the Mid West Pro series which used the Oldsmobile Quad four motor. I bought the car in 2010 and ran with the SCCA until they killed the class in 2013. It is the last S2000 to win the Northeast Division National title. I have been running it with the Vintage S2 group over the last several years.

Liked
    277 times

Quote Originally Posted by chrisracer View Post
    FatbillyBob,

The Racecar in a box kit includes, Bilstein Shocks (front and rear), race springs (f&r), spring mounts, concentric bolts for neg camber, front rotors, pads, braided steel brake lines, belt to eliminate air cond compressor, cat back exhaust system, K&N air filter element and necessary restrictor plate. Cost of kit is $2900 from the Honda HPD site. To run the Fit in B Spec you need to purchase and install this kit.
    Attachment 9962
    Here is a picture of the car as it sits. Will provide some build pics as I go along.
    Nice! I look forward to your build thread.

Liked
    6 times

Some updates on the Honda Fit B Spec build: I received the Racecar in a box B Spec kit from HPD last week and spent most of this weekend working on the car. Some pics:img_1158-3-.jpgimg_1160-3-.jpgimg_1163.jpgimg_1165.jpgimg_1166.jpgimg_1167.jpgimg_1168.jpgimg_1173.jpg
    MikeColangelo and ucfbrett like this.

Liked
    277 times

Very cool, Chris.

Brett, maybe we should move this thread to the B-Spec sub forum? Between Chris, Joey, and myself, the number of B-Spec racers here has increased 300%!

Liked
    1720 times

cool! looks like you are almost ready to "scale" it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2