+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Anybody Here Race A B-Spec Car?

Liked
    277 times

Default Anybody Here Race A B-Spec Car?

After watching this year's SCCA Runoffs, I'm kinda stoked about the little B-Spec cars. It was fun to watch them race and Mazda2, Mini Coopers, and Honda Fits are fun little cars to drive.

Does anyone here have experience with these cars? If so, what can you tell me about them in addition to being slow?

I know that there's a few B-Spec cars in SoCal including at least two HPD Honda Fit B-Spec cars. Fields seem to be small but hopefully will grow with time. Will the older B-Spec cars get kicked out of the class once they reach a certain age (like the SCCA Showroom Stock cars did)?

Anyway, I'm interested to hear what the collective braintrust of TrackHQ has to say about B-Spec.

Liked
    764 times

I brought a this idea up here a few years and was told to just race Spec Miata. I also think it looks like a fun class unfortunately I hear Mazda isn't bringing the new 2 to the U.S. I guess you could race the Toyota version of the Mazda2 though.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    65 times

Hey Mike,

Joey ran a Bspec car in the Pirelli World Challenge for the last 2 rounds at Miller and Mazda Raceway. The cars are great, very low maintenance and easy to build and maintain. A few guys drive their cars to the track and race. We were involved with Derrick Ambrose who finished 6th at the runoffs (joey drove his car) If you looking for a budget racing class and close even racing this is a great place, it also allows you to dip your toes in the pro ranks as well as the rules are the same.

The fields are sparce on the West coast at most events, but hope they will grow. They are looking for ways to equate the newer direct injected cars like the new fit and older cars. I believe they allow cars to compete for a minimum of 5 years in World Challenge.

They are easy on tires. We purchased a total of 2 tires for Miller and 4 tires for Mazda Raceway (5 races) and easily covered our expenses by winning 4 of 5 races. You can check out the racing videos here. World Challenge TV
    MikeColangelo likes this.

Liked
    764 times

Here's my thread from a few years ago.

TrackHQ.com B-Spec race car? Who's with me?

Liked
    2343 times

Jason Isley of CalClub autocross and road racing fame, as well as the editor of SCCA Sportscar magazine was racing a Toyota Yaris for a couple of years, but recently switched to HP with the Yaris. His race at the Runoffs in the Yaris was perhaps one of the best races of the weekend... at least of the ones I watched. Here is the link to that race. You need to watch the last 4-5 laps. I suggest you start at lap 11 to get the feel of what is going on. If you don't have but four minutes go straight to the beginning of lap 13. The intensity builds all the way to the totally unpredictable race finish that is decided by just a couple of hundreths of seconds for three cars. Here is that link:
    http://www.scca.com/videos/1972492
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    2343 times

Jason Isley the racer in the video on the previous post drops in to TrackHQ on occasion. I will ask him to check-in and talk about B-Spec.

BTW - His co-editor Philip Royle won the national title at the SCCA Runoffs at Daytona for T4 - http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files...pdf?1443201376

All in all the SoCal boys did well at Daytona.
    MikeColangelo and bawareca like this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1495 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Jason Isley of CalClub autocross and road racing fame, as well as the editor of SCCA Sportscar magazine was racing a Toyota Yaris for a couple of years, but recently switched to HP with the Yaris. His race at the Runoffs in the Yaris was perhaps one of the best races of the weekend... at least of the ones I watched. Here is the link to that race. You need to watch the last 4-5 laps. I suggest you start at lap 11 to get the feel of what is going on. If you don't have but four minutes go straight to the beginning of lap 13. The intensity builds all the way to the totally unpredictable race finish that is decided by just a couple of hundreths of seconds for three cars. Here is that link:
    It was close, but looks to me like honda at fault for first contact, but senile old SCCA stewards would blame Isley because passing even though he got to the corner first.

Cutting the chicane exit could go either way, depends on what the drivers were told.

Didn't look like a block to me by Isley.

Lin very likely at fault for the big wreck.

If I'm running the show I give Isley the win followed by VW and a DQ for Lin.

VW should have protested.
    SteveLevin likes this.

Liked
    1720 times

Locally, the biggest problem I see with B-spec is that in mixed class racing they are light and slow. The faster cars can be 150mph cars and 3500lbs. I would never want to be in B-spec with heavy missiles around me. .
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    While we did build a pair of B-Spec cars I never raced one, I always drove one of the three H Prod cars. In fact one never got raced, was only used for a Sony Playstation event, and the other sat for years only getting raced a handful of times before getting crushed. Even when we offered the use of the BS car for free it went unused for the most part - once someone got to try the car in Prod trim they never wanted to drive the BS car again.

imho... The initial problem with B-Spec was the price of admission. At the time you were forced to buy a brand new car, and a B-Spec kit from the manufacture, you were spending $25-$35k to be the slowest thing on the track. It was a good point of entry for Pro Racing, but made no sense for Club level stuff. Now complete cars are available used, and the resale market on a stock chassis has made it possible to build one much more reasonably.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    It was close, but looks to me like honda at fault for first contact, but senile old SCCA stewards would blame Isley because passing even though he got to the corner first.

Cutting the chicane exit could go either way, depends on what the drivers were told.

Didn't look like a block to me by Isley.

Lin very likely at fault for the big wreck.

If I'm running the show I give Isley the win followed by VW and a DQ for Lin.

VW should have protested.
    Only the entry to the Bus Stop (chicane) is addressed as cutting the course. The damage I got in the Turn 2 contact (believe a tire was going flat) made it impossible for me to navigate the Bus Stop, even though I was on the brakes early on that lap. Once I got off the banking of NASCAR 4 the car was all over the place, I just tried to get it to the bottom and hoped I could hold them off. It was a big surprise when I found myself in the grass at the finish.
    The Steward of the Meet for the event filed an Request for Action and investigated all of the incidents. Both points of contact were deemed racing incidents, no fault assigned. The VW driver and I both filed appeals (might as well get a second opinion), and the COA agreed that is was just hard racing.
    Last edited by RacerJason99; 10-01-2015 at 09:28 AM.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    1495 times

Quote Originally Posted by RacerJason99 View Post
    Both points of contact were deemed racing incidents, no fault assigned. The VW driver and I both filed appeals (might as well get a second opinion), and the COA agreed that is was just hard racing.
    F*king cowards.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    277 times

Quote Originally Posted by RacerJason99 View Post
    While we did build a pair of B-Spec cars I never raced one, I always drove one of the three H Prod cars. In fact one never got raced, was only used for a Sony Playstation event, and the other sat for years only getting raced a handful of times before getting crushed. Even when we offered the use of the BS car for free it went unused for the most part - once someone got to try the car in Prod trim they never wanted to drive the BS car again.

imho... The initial problem with B-Spec was the price of admission. At the time you were forced to buy a brand new car, and a B-Spec kit from the manufacture, you were spending $25-$35k to be the slowest thing on the track. It was a good point of entry for Pro Racing, but made no sense for Club level stuff. Now complete cars are available used, and the resale market on a stock chassis has made it possible to build one much more reasonably.
    Darn, I would love to have driven one for free just to try it.

Liked
    1495 times

Quote Originally Posted by MikeColangelo View Post
    Darn, I would love to have driven one for free just to try it.
    There was one offered to most of the SM folks at one point. I think I missed that weekend.

Liked
    1 times

I drove the B-Spec car last year. I can't say I'd build a B-Spec car unless there were bigger fields, other than that the car was pretty fun\frustrating to drive due to the lack of power.

Liked
    65 times

Just an update, Will Rodgers bought a car in Texas that was dropped off at COTA world challenge race, we struggled in getting it right but he won the second race after getting DQ'd in race one for a slipped camber bolt. This is very inexpensive racing with the ability to win some prize money. We prepped 2 cars at the track and our other car with Henry Morse a 15 year old in his first ever race weekend in a car(former karter) had 2 podium finishes in third both days!
    Red_5 likes this.

Liked
    277 times

Quote Originally Posted by Joe jordan View Post
    Just an update, Will Rodgers bought a car in Texas that was dropped off at COTA world challenge race, we struggled in getting it right but he won the second race after getting DQ'd in race one for a slipped camber bolt. This is very inexpensive racing with the ability to win some prize money. We prepped 2 cars at the track and our other car with Henry Morse a 15 year old in his first ever race weekend in a car(former karter) had 2 podium finishes in third both days!
    Cool. Were they Mazda2s?

I just picked up a Mazda2 B-SPEC car. It's coming from Chicago and should be here in SoCal in about a week or so.

What tires are you running?

Liked
    764 times

What is Mazda going to do about future B-spec cars since they killed the 2 in the US? Will the CX-3 count? The Toyota branded Mazda2 with Mazda badges?

Liked
    36 times

Interesting. Why B-Spec?
    1990 S2 SuperMiata

Liked
    65 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    What is Mazda going to do about future B-spec cars since they killed the 2 in the US? Will the CX-3 count? The Toyota branded Mazda2 with Mazda badges?
    They are supporting B-spec racers but they will not have a car for it in the USA. They do sell one in Mexico and Canada.

Liked
    65 times

Quote Originally Posted by albertg View Post
    Interesting. Why B-Spec?
    The cost to ruyn B-spec is very small. You also get some TV exposure and live online broadcasts so you can sell to potential partners. Prize money and contingency also make it a good deal. Cars are slow but competition is very tight and costs are looooow!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast