+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Any TrackHQ'ers on iRacing?

Liked
    188 times

GTR2 for the win.
    Not that I've "driven" it much since we got the Miatas.

Real life FTBW.

Liked
    2241 times

I would dig a TrackHQ series. That's a great idea, and the MX-5 is the ideal platform because it's slow and comes with the iRacing suite. I've just done practice on iRacing because the lack of input from my arse and inner ear means I crash a lot because the sensation of speed just isn't there and I wind up four-of more often than Red_5.

I don't do the racing part because I don't want to interfere with people who learned to drive on iRacing rather than in a car or kart.

Liked
    188 times

I could easily be convinced to download it... if that means a TrackHQ night. Or series.

Liked
    76 times

I will be up for participating in the TrackHQ series once my computer is finished.

Here is what I referenced building my computer.

How to build a computer for iRacing and other PC Games. Good layman explanations here as well.

Once I had a list, I had some of my computer savy/nerd friends vet it. I originally had assembled a list that was around 600 dollars with rebates. Somehow it grew to 1000 dollars though
    1:46.3X @ BRP CW13 - 11/12/15 (400 whp, TD )
    1:26.82 @ WSIR - 10/12/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:22.7X @ SOW CW - 7/31/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:21.6X @ SOW CCW - 7/30/14 (400whp, Nt01)
    2:00.01 @ CVR CW - 9/28/13 (350whp, RS3)
    1:48.22 @ ACS - 11/23/13 (400whp, RS3)

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by Johns_EvoIXSE View Post
    I will be up for participating in the TrackHQ series once my computer is finished.

Here is what I referenced building my computer.

How to build a computer for iRacing and other PC Games. Good layman explanations here as well.

Once I had a list, I had some of my computer savy/nerd friends vet it. I originally had assembled a list that was around 600 dollars with rebates. Somehow it grew to 1000 dollars though
    That's a pretty good, concise, overview of PC building. It's too simplified to be useful on it's own, but is a good primer.

I built my current build for $1,000 about 2 years ago and it's still playing modern games with acceptable framerates on nearly maxed out settings. I think that even the $600 build I posted is over kill for iRacing, which is on a decade-old engine. But, I think the build I posted would run iRacing on an occulus at 1080p or 1440p, with some adjustment to the settings.

I'm due for an upgrade if I have any hope of running modern stuff on an Occulus...
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    345 times

Brett,

I crash so often a couple more won't hurt (SIM humor, get it?). The nice thing about hosted races is that incidents and results don't affect your iRacing rating.

I'll set it up. There will be some experimentation to get all the iRacing group mechanics sorted out so be patient.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    I would dig a TrackHQ series. That's a great idea, and the MX-5 is the ideal platform because it's slow and comes with the iRacing suite. I've just done practice on iRacing because the lack of input from my arse and inner ear means I crash a lot because the sensation of speed just isn't there and I wind up four-of more often than Red_5.

I don't do the racing part because I don't want to interfere with people who learned to drive on iRacing rather than in a car or kart.
    b3d3g1 and Schmoe Money like this.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    421 times

I'm fairly certain I have a G27 under the christmas tree. I think I dropped enough hints

What about one of these stands for 90 bucks?
    http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Steer.../dp/B0084EG3ZA
    41wvnohwjdl.jpg
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter
    2016 KTM 690 Duke - parked at the dealer

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post

Are you talking about me going 4 off in Sims or real life? I can't stay on track in simulators, even good ones, they just don't work for me.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by b3d3g1 View Post
    I'm fairly certain I have a G27 under the christmas tree. I think I dropped enough hints

What about one of these stands for 90 bucks?
    Amazon.com: The Ultimate Steering Wheel Racing Game Stand: Computers & Accessories
    Attachment 8230
    You know, I haven't heard good things about those stands. General consensus is you want the wheel mounted to something solid & immobile -- a hefty desk or rig, basically. I mount my G27 to my work desk, and I have a 27" monitor on a raised stand that I can slide over the top of the wheel such that the base of the monitor is about 3-4" behind the wheel. I feel like it gives a pretty realistic perspective (for what it is; triple monitors would be better).

And, maybe I'm weird but I drove all kinds of cars/karts before I ever tried a sim, and I picked up iRacing just fine. Feels pretty darn realistic to me....physics, tracks, cars, etc are all impressively accurate IMO (for a consumer off-the-shelf sim). You do need to make sure you wheel/pedals are calibrated correctly, get your monitor positioned decently, and get your in-car perspective correct. Those things are important.

They are laser-mapping the Nurburgring right now, should be released next year

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

I must correct my initial impression of iRacing. As it turns out, my wheel wasn't calibrated, even though I went through the whole calibration thing. Assetto Corsa has the same issue. Therefore, when I was driving, my inputs were being magnified about 2x, which explains a whole lot. I've corrected the issue and my impressions have changed.

I still think the physics for spin recovery are awful, but everything else is noticeably better. I also jacked up the feedback settings, making the feedback on par with most games. GT6 still has, IMO, the best feedback by far, and Assetto Corsa has the best physics overall by a large margin, which I verified by playing it back to back with iRacing. But iRacing is most definitely suitable as a simulation. Hell, I learned most of what I know on GT4 for the Playstation 2, which is inferior to iRacing.

I was fairly impressed by the changes to car behavior caused by playing with the settings. I'm still 4 seconds off race pace at Mazda Raceway, which puzzles me greatly. I'm bad, but not that bad. Looking forward to that first race.
    Last edited by SDSUsnowboards; 12-24-2014 at 10:34 AM.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2