+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Any TrackHQ'ers on iRacing?

Liked
    165 times

Default Any TrackHQ'ers on iRacing?

I've been out of track day car-driving for a while now, but I've been tracking my bike and (sortof) getting my car fix with iRacing. Any of you on there?

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

I haven't tried it, but would like to. I've heard the physics went to poop some years ago, and the devs haven't been able to fix it. I might be out of the loop though.

Any word on if iRacing will support Occulus VR?

EXIT: NM, it does support it. Awesome.
    Last edited by SDSUsnowboards; 12-22-2014 at 11:35 AM.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    I haven't tried it, but would like to. I've heard the physics went to poop some years ago, and the devs haven't been able to fix it. I might be out of the loop though.

Any word on if iRacing will support Occulus VR?

EXIT: NM, it does support it. Awesome.
    I haven't heard that, and FWIW I think the physics are pretty darn good. They have the Skippy 2-liter formula car in the sim, which I've driven in real life a few times, and it feels spot-on.

Yep the Oculus works with iRacing... That's actually the reason I'm not buying triple monitors, lol. Waiting for the final Oculus release (the current one is a developer kit) - http://youtu.be/ciJl3WX0f1w

Liked
    854 times

Billy Johnson speaks very highly of I Racing in his Moto IQ Driver Development series.

Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    I haven't heard that, and FWIW I think the physics are pretty darn good. They have the Skippy 2-liter formula car in the sim, which I've driven in real life a few times, and it feels spot-on.

Yep the Oculus works with iRacing... That's actually the reason I'm not buying triple monitors, lol. Waiting for the final Oculus release (the current one is a developer kit) - http://youtu.be/ciJl3WX0f1w
    To be fair, the car crowd I socialize with is mostly jaded, and hates everything except Assetto Corsa and maybe Project Cars. So, the iRacing criticisms are surely overblown. But, after browsing the site, it feels like a trap. The subscription model is nonsensical. I can't figure out how much additional tracks and cars are a la carte.

But, for 6 bucks I get a Miata and Laguna Seca for a month. Seems worth a try.

And, yes, triple monitors are a thing of the past. Thank god.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    421 times

I might be doing some casual iRacing in early January if everything goes according to plan. I'll post if I do get started in it.

I haven't driven a racing sim or video game since Gran Turismo 3 back in the early 2000s. I'm hoping to get a feel for CoTA before April's SuperMiata Race.
    Last edited by b3d3g1; 12-22-2014 at 12:40 PM.
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter
    2016 KTM 690 Duke - parked at the dealer

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    Billy Johnson speaks very highly of I Racing in his Moto IQ Driver Development series.
    Who?

To be fair, the car crowd I socialize with is mostly jaded, and hates everything except Assetto Corsa and maybe Project Cars. So, the iRacing criticisms are surely overblown. But, after browsing the site, it feels like a trap. The subscription model is nonsensical. I can't figure out how much additional tracks and cars are a la carte.

But, for 6 bucks I get a Miata and Laguna Seca for a month. Seems worth a try.

And, yes, triple monitors are a thing of the past. Thank god.
    Cars & tracks are usually $11-14 each, but you get like 6 tracks and a few cars free. And uh, it's all right there on the main page... Click on "Tracks" for tracks you can buy, same for cars. The UI on the site isn't the greatest but once you learn your way around it's fine.

Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    Who?

Cars & tracks are usually $11-14 each, but you get like 6 tracks and a few cars free. And uh, it's all right there on the main page... Click on "Tracks" for tracks you can buy, same for cars. The UI on the site isn't the greatest but once you learn your way around it's fine.
    Are you loggin in while viewing the site? Because no prices are listed with the cars and tracks for me. No worries, I'm going to try it out. For $6, why not! I'll be up and running tomorrow.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    165 times

Are you loggin in while viewing the site? Because no prices are listed with the cars and tracks for me. No worries, I'm going to try it out. For $6, why not! I'll be up and running tomorrow.
    Yes.

Cool! What wheel do you have? Single monitor I assume? Either way, get the monitor(s) as close as possible to the wheel. My monitor face is about 3.5" behind the top of the steering wheel (G27).

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    345 times

I really like iRacing but haven't been active in a while. Life gets in the way and my wife keeps calling it a game. Very demeaning and demoralizing.

We should get everyone together and run a 'Track HQ' championship series. iRacing allows private events so we could limit access to only Track HQ folks. Say a 15 min practice and two 15 min races? That way we keep people who 'total' out in the race interested and hanging around. Nothing worse than bending the car on the 1st turn and having to grind out the remainder of a 30 min race with a whacked car. Probably wise to base it on a MX-5 cup car or some other entry level car so we wouldn't have to purchase the car.

Mark
    LagunaBlueS2k and b3d3g1 like this.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    1429 times

Did it for a while, but I HATE HATE HATE the subscription model. Also, I'm a "seat of the pants" driver and do terribly when my main car sensor is completely offline.

It was stressful and felt a lot like work. If I was a youngster with a whole summer to screw around in, I would dive in in a very big way.

I should set up the controls and an old computer in another room if I do it again. A pain to move the steering wheel on and off the desk.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    345 times

The ONLY way to do iRacing as far as I am concerned is with a dedicated cockpit setup. I made my first one out of plywood and an old miata seat. Took me about an hour to build my fand vastly improved the experience. I have an ubuntoo (sp?) now (christmas last year ). My old cockpit is available for the taking if anyone wants it. I can't imagine trying to play, ....errr drive, iRacing without the cockpit. Having a steering wheel and pedals floating around would drive me batty. iRacing is hard enough for the reasons you allude to. No need to make it more difficult. I find it a ***** to drive a sim btw. Much harder than a real car. The lack of g force feedback kills me but on the other hand it forces me to make my other senses work harder to determine what the car is doing. Ultimately I do think it helps my real world driving. I don't mind the subscription model as I haven't felt the need to move to a faster car or try different tracks. I usually get a 49.00/yr upgrade code somewhere along the way which keeps the cost down.

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Did it for a while, but I HATE HATE HATE the subscription model. Also, I'm a "seat of the pants" driver and do terribly when my main car sensor is completely offline.

It was stressful and felt a lot like work. If I was a youngster with a whole summer to screw around in, I would dive in in a very big way.

I should set up the controls and an old computer in another room if I do it again. A pain to move the steering wheel on and off the desk.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by markn View Post
    I really like iRacing but haven't been active in a while. Life gets in the way and my wife keeps calling it a game. Very demeaning and demoralizing.
    "Babe.... it's a simulator."

Liked
    742 times

Singe 42" monitor about 3 feet away, high up on a desk. I built my own setup. It's pretty crap. In hind sight, it I could have vastly improved upon it by not building it and buying a playseat.

Rob hit the nail on the head. I find driving in real life much easier. The lack of depth perception and tactile feed back does not at all mesh with my instinctive driving style.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    76 times

Here is my sled. I play mainly GT6, but I'm currently building a new computer for iRacing right now.

I wear the pants in my relationship.
    img_1026.jpg

The brake pedal on my G25 is not very life like, so I got this hydraulic actuated brake pedal with a pressure transducer. It's like the real thing. This has drastically improved my left foot braking in real life.

img_1586.jpg

Hopefully my computer will be finished in a few weeks or so. This will be my first computer build.
    Last edited by Johns_EvoIXSE; 12-22-2014 at 09:21 PM.
    1:46.3X @ BRP CW13 - 11/12/15 (400 whp, TD )
    1:26.82 @ WSIR - 10/12/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:22.7X @ SOW CW - 7/31/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:21.6X @ SOW CCW - 7/30/14 (400whp, Nt01)
    2:00.01 @ CVR CW - 9/28/13 (350whp, RS3)
    1:48.22 @ ACS - 11/23/13 (400whp, RS3)

Liked
    742 times

So, I gave iRacing a try. The physics seem somewhere between those of TOCA2 and GT4. The only thing I thought was done better than elsewhere was the sensation of understeer at corner entry if you go in too hot on the brakes. The clutch modulation was the best I've ever seen. The largest fault is that once you begin a slide, correcting is very difficult. I was driving a @#$% Miata--they practically correct themselves. Wheel feedback is poor and I couldn't get my H pattern shifter to work, which seems to be a common issue with the G27 and iRacing. Perhapse both of those issues could be solves by playing with settings.

The physics are not terrible, but Assetto Corsa, GT5, and GT6 are far superior at getting the whole sensation of car control down IMO.

Well, I'm $6 in. I'll race with anyone who wants a liability on the track
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    1486 times

Quote Originally Posted by markn View Post
    We should get everyone together and run a 'Track HQ' championship series.
    Mark
    That would be fun since all our cars are too different to ever race against each other. I would like to try this. I have heard about occlus as the future. Anyone have a list of what it takes to irace? how much of a computer? how high speed does connection need to be? what pedals? what wheel? Someone have some good plans for a welded steel or aluminum cockpit? Can't you get force feedback with these things? I'll build someone a cockpit if they build my computer and set it up. I'm dumb but good with a hammer, power tools, and a welder.

Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    That would be fun since all our cars are too different to ever race against each other. I would like to try this. I have heard about occlus as the future. Anyone have a list of what it takes to irace? how much of a computer? how high speed does connection need to be? what pedals? what wheel? Someone have some good plans for a welded steel or aluminum cockpit? Can't you get force feedback with these things? I'll build someone a cockpit if they build my computer and set it up. I'm dumb but good with a hammer, power tools, and a welder.
    I'm not sure about internet speed. I'd wager anything over 6mbs would be more than fine.

As for building a gaming rig:

Pricewatch.com for the prices, then go to Fry's or Bestbuy to price match and avoid paying shipping.

Tomshardware for the build. Here is the latest budget build, which is powerful enough to meet your current and future needs. May need some upgrading to run iRacing maxed out with Occulus VR.
    Budget Gaming PC Under $600 - 2014 PC Builds and Benchmarks

Use a 1080p TV (or better) you already have, or buy any monitor.

Logitech G27 for the controls (wheel, pedal, shifter). It's compatible with almost everything. AFAIK, all wheels have force feed back of some sort. The G27 was considered among the best in this regard last I checked, but there might have been some advancements since then. It's a mid-level wheel.

Grab a cheap keyboard and optical mouse of any brand.

Get a good pair of head phones with a long cord. There are some gaming head phones that contain enough speakers to do surround sound for about $300. Much cheaper than a physical surround system.

Build your cockpit for the G27. I have some ideas that I would have used if my fabrication skills were not garbage. I'd really like to build something that folds for better storage possibilities in a small apartment. OR, basically just copy whatever is on the market. The Playseat is excellent and relatively compact.

I've built a few computers. It's pretty simple stuff. They almost build themselves once you have the components selected.
    Last edited by SDSUsnowboards; 12-22-2014 at 11:52 PM.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    1429 times

The key to internet gaming is latency, not throughput. Slower internet plans are just fine, provided it isn't dialup or satellite.

Liked
    1429 times

Skip the optical drive. You don't need it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast