+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Another Electronic Nanny Being Forced on Us . . .

Liked
    1477 times

Default Another Electronic Nanny Being Forced on Us . . .

If this becomes law, left foot braking will become impossible in all new cars, and I think it affects your ability to heel-n-toe in a manual gearbox car. God damn out of control regulators . . . (Oli will think I am turning Republican.) They even admit in the article that the real problem is driver error, hitting the gas instead of the brake, and this won't solve that problem.

Federal regulators want brake override systems in all cars - latimes.com
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 04-13-2012 at 09:13 PM.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    977 times

"Toyota said it was the first full-line automaker — one that sells cars, trucks and SUVs — to make a brake-override system standard, implementing it in all vehicles the company sold by the end of 2010."

Apparently it's already here.

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ But they are trying to mandate it in all cars sold in USA. A 991 GT3 RS would have to have brake override.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    ^^^ But they are trying to mandate it in all cars sold in USA. A 991 GT3 RS would have to have brake override.
    Most of the time I see a GT3 RS at the track it ends up facing the wrong way. Can't hurt?

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Most of the time I see a GT3 RS at the track it ends up facing the wrong way. Can't hurt?
    Touche. But Roy Sakioka is responsible for most of those incidents. Maybe driver error?

Z06 would be required to have brake override. Etc. Etc.
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 04-13-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Liked
    641 times

It should be part of the ECU software,and easily avoidable.Just some OBDII reprogramming.Or brake light switch disconnect.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

I was riding a 100cc dirt bike one time when I was a kid. It was scary fast, with enough torque to lift the front wheel under acceleration. My first time on the thing the throttle got stuck and I rocketed forward, out of control. I've never been in that situation before and I was scared. Do you know what I did? I pressed in the clutch lever, killing power to the wheel. Then I thumbed the kill switch.

I think the root problem is many people are too damned stupid to pilot 3,000 lb instruments of death and destruction. If you can't figure out the off switch then public transportation is for you.
    Richard EVO, J. Tyler and DocNrock like this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    299 times

Does that mean no more brake boosting on the freeway. Or no more silly burnouts in automatics. roflmao. All these stupid regulations are killing the fun. All this stuck throttle nonsense is 99% driver error and people not thinking straight and not using logic/common sense. You can't fix stupid. Driver Education via driving test/written exam/driver's ed is more practical. Regarding floor mats, just ban them. Simple! Everyone wins, manufacturers saves money, consumers save money (less $$ for the car) and no more floor mats installed wrong or getting caught over or under the pedal.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    I think the root problem is many people are too damned stupid to pilot 4,000 lb instruments of death and destruction. If you can't figure out the off switch then public transportation is for you.
    Fixed it for you.

likes to left foot brake. passmenow's Avatar
    Liked
    80 times

I drove a 996 at an AX several years ago that would go to idle if you hit the brake and gas at the same time.
    They did the same thing to the gas go carts at Miramar/San Diego.
    I prolly abuse it but unless I'm shifting my left foot is always covering the brake.
    74 911 RSR+.
    88 Imsa Camaro.
    93 Imsa Camaro.

Liked
    38 times

Quote Originally Posted by passmenow View Post
    I drove a 996 at an AX several years ago that would go to idle if you hit the brake and gas at the same time.
    They did the same thing to the gas go carts at Miramar/San Diego.
    I prolly abuse it but unless I'm shifting my left foot is always covering the brake.
    Never had a problem with my 996 and left foot braking... It is a 2004 but then again it does not have PSM (stability control) and is the only 04 I have seen with no PSM... Did you have the stability control off?

This mistaking the brake for the gas business is just idiotic. Even if a car is at full throttle you can bring the car to a stop with the brakes and that's when you can't figure how to take the car out of gear. I can't believe the CHP officer that killed his family in that Lexus did not know this....

Liked
    1477 times

CHP cops are not brain surgeons . . .

Liked
    2243 times

I saw this story, and it's more pointless legislation to try to convince citizens who don't know any better that our government is doing its job. I'm not impressed.

However, the studies that were done after the media coverage died down found that there was nothing wrong with the software or the hardware in the throttle systems. In fact, the pedal assemblies were designed and built by an American company, and they have been installed by a number of other automakers not singled out as were Toyota and Lexus. As a control, it seems important to note the lack of failures on other models.

In other words, in the cases that did not involve floor mats, the cause of the crash was driver error. Interestingly enough, there was a follow story on a NHTSA study that appeared in today's L.A. Times with the headline, "Women more likely to mistake gas pedal for brakes."

Women drivers - latimes.com

Does anyone else see a market emerging for mass-produced track cars (with throttle cables)?

Liked
    97 times

"Some carmakers, including Nissan, Volkswagen, BMW and Chrysler, have been using brake-override systems for years."

I have a 2007 3-series 6MT, and I double clutch heel and toe and all that and I don't think I've ever felt any funny business happen... I think brake-override only applies to automatics, or at the least, the system is intelligent enough to only cut throttle if you're dragging the brakes for longer than a certain amount of time. Worst case, there's always the aftermarket.

I wouldn't worry about this .

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by pucsicsal View Post
    "Some carmakers, including Nissan, Volkswagen, BMW and Chrysler, have been using brake-override systems for years."

I have a 2007 3-series 6MT, and I double clutch heel and toe and all that and I don't think I've ever felt any funny business happen... I think brake-override only applies to automatics, or at the least, the system is intelligent enough to only cut throttle if you're dragging the brakes for longer than a certain amount of time. Worst case, there's always the aftermarket.

You cant feel anything on automatics either,but everyone swears there is a built in override.I need to do some more research on my 06 530xit.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by pucsicsal View Post

Do you left foot brake in that car?

Liked
    299 times

Maybe Toyota drivers just suck in general at driving, since most problems are from people who crash and claim its the car's fault. lol. So, maybe write legislation that all Toyota owners must re-take driver's test. It would totally be in line with the government's logic. -____-
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX View Post
    Maybe Toyota drivers just suck in general at driving...
    No, you!
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX View Post
    Maybe Toyota drivers just suck in general at driving, since most problems are from people who crash and claim its the car's fault. lol. So, maybe write legislation that all Toyota owners must re-take driver's test. It would totally be in line with the government's logic. -____-
    Well, Toyotas suck. Toyota is the GM of Japan. Lowest common denominator cars for the masses. I would rate the top 6 Japanese car makers in this order:

1. Honda
    2. Mazda
    3. Subaru
    4. Nissan
    5. Mitsubishi

6. Toyota

Liked
    143 times

The BMW Z4 M I owned did not have brake override. Heel-Toe was fine. The car did increase brake pressure if the brake fluid heated in an attempt to keep the brake pedal from going to the floor.

The new Toyota Camry SE automatic rev matches on downshift. At least it attempts to. The Lexus IS-F does as well. I think we will find out for sure what Toyota will do once the FR-S starts leaving show rooms.

I can left foot brake in the IS350 but it's a 2007.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast