+ Reply to Thread

Thread: All-American team to join F1 grid next year

Liked
    0 times

Default All-American team to join F1 grid next year

Original Article here (props to the gf on the find)

(CNN) -- An all-American team is set to enter Formula One in 2010 -- bucking the global economic downturn which has forced motorsport's elite category to introduce a series of cost-cutting measures.

While established teams such as Honda are struggling to survive, proposals for the new line-up were revealed in a broadcast on Speed TV in the United States.

The proposed USF1 team is the brainchild of sporting director Peter Windsor and former F1 designer Ken Anderson, who have ambitious plans to join the grid in less than 12 months time.

Rumors of the proposed driver line-up have linked female Indy Car star Danica Patrick and NASCAR's Kyle Busch, with Scott Speed and Marco Andretti also mentioned.

The team will be based in North Carolina, the heartland of the NASCAR stock car series, but have still to finalize an engine supplier and confirm sponsors.

"When we realized that the technology was here and with the help of the new FIA regulations -- that were made for new teams to come into the sport -- we thought we could do a team here in the United States and that it was going to be a car made in America," Windsor told Speed TV.

"The logical thing then from a marketing perspective was to see if we can have two American drivers. And that is indeed what we intend to do."

Windsor added that they had the backing of Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone who told him "great, get it done."

The USF1 team is expected to have a budget of roughly $60 million per year, but their anticipated arrival comes at a time when F1 does not have a race in the United States and Canada and with no drivers from North America.

The possible loss of Honda from the 2009 grid prompted world governing body the FIA to introduce a series of measures to make it cheaper to run a team in the world championship.

Windsor sees this as a major opportunity: "Long before the current economic recession, we were thinking "lean, mean"," he said.

"We were questioning why the existing F1 teams needed to spend hundreds of millions of dollars in not winning races; and we were convinced that not only could an F1 be designed and built in the USA but also that we could base the team in America, too."
    Last edited by gofaster; 02-25-2009 at 11:46 AM.

FIA WTCC/Formula D Driver MiataCharles_Hong_Kong's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Whatever they do, just no F1 on Oval please.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by MiataCharles_Hong_Kong View Post
    Whatever they do, just no F1 on Oval please.
    No way that would happen.

I hope

Liked
    0 times

$60m per year budget? Isn't that like a fifth of what mclaren budgets per year?

Liked
    2 times

It's ok timmy... The other 200 million will come from government bailout

Liked
    0 times
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3
    JC3D // Racecars and Keyframes // 996 Spec

Liked
    72 times

I'm all about american teams in F1. And there is a huge debate about who will drive for them if they want a full US team. But in my eyes, with the budget they have, it doesn't matter who drives for them. Jaku himself could drive and the car wouldn't be at the front of the grid. The team will be a back marker simply because of budget. So go ahead and through Danica in the car. Sparco needs to make a nomex bikini.

What I am interested in is who is their financial backer? they mention a minority stake holder that is bringing money to the outfit. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that Bernie Eccelstone is putting up the cash. He wants to race in the US and a US team wil create the interest required to come back here. And owning part of a team will give him input and influence in the team union that has recently sprung up.

Liked
    0 times

I just hope it isn't danica. We don't need another reason for the world to laugh at us in racing.
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3

Liked
    2214 times

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Andrews View Post
    The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that Bernie Eccelstone is putting up the cash.

I agree. The US is the most lucrative market in the world hands-down. To not be tapping into this market is a huge loss for F1.

Look at all the money in NASCAR. He wants to tap into that. That is one reason they are recruiting a NASCAR driver and why the team is based in North Carolina.

To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    2214 times

Quote Originally Posted by JC3D View Post
    I just hope it isn't danica. We don't need another reason for the world to laugh at us in racing.
    Danica presents an opportunity to draw in a demographic that represents 50% of the US.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1477 times

I bet they don't start the races early when Danica is there in her nomex bikini.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1 times

In other news, USF1 announced they will be using a live rear axle and carb pushrod v8 engine. Tony Stewart requested the cockpit to be larger enough, as he's not planning to go on a diet.

just kidding ...

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I agree. The US is the most lucrative market in the world hands-down. To not be tapping into this market is a huge loss for F1.
    Kind of like how he took the USGP off the schedule for 2 years in a row now?

Liked
    0 times

Danica has pretty much said thanks, but no thanks. She knows she is not at the level of the south american and european road course drivers and she feels testing with USF1 would be a waste of money.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Danica presents an opportunity to draw in a demographic that represents 50% of the US.
    I fully agree with you. Gotta race it on sunday and sell it on monday. Even though there are many qualified drivers out there, there is more to being pro than just racing.
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3

Liked
    72 times

Quote Originally Posted by brads03zx3 View Post
    Danica has pretty much said thanks, but no thanks. She knows she is not at the level of the south american and european road course drivers and she feels testing with USF1 would be a waste of money.
    you know her personally? She has had a test drive with a current F1 team. I'm not saying she is talented enough to make it, but her coy disinterest is just part of the game of balancing your current team and sponsors with your future ones. The interview I saw with her seemed to show the 2 parties had simply not talked.

Liked
    72 times

Quote Originally Posted by lttletimmy View Post
    Kind of like how he took the USGP off the schedule for 2 years in a row now?

F1 not having an appropriate venue and financial contract doesn't mean he doesn't want to be here. If anything, it says that the interest level here in the US isn't high enough. a US F1 team would hopefully pave the way for a return by raising interest and creating a fan base before they got here.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Andrews View Post
    you know her personally? She has had a test drive with a current F1 team. I'm not saying she is talented enough to make it, but her coy disinterest is just part of the game of balancing your current team and sponsors with your future ones. The interview I saw with her seemed to show the 2 parties had simply not talked.
    "she is happy to now race full time in her native USA. 'I haven't really expressed a lot of excitement and interest in world travel'"

I'd imagine they have still not talked. There is so much heresay in the media regarding this issue, it is almost not worth discussing. The list of names mentioned is huge. The fact is, the two main guys haven't said much at all. They want to form an F1 team, they have a small amount of money from investors, they are based near the university in NC, the goal is to drive in 2010 and be competitive in 2011. And her test is not with a current team. Honda pulled out for 2009. She had a more thorough test with Acura's ALMS team. We all know how that turned out. They didn't let her drive because she was too small and didn't fit. Race teams have dealt with size differences like that before, give me a break. I'm not a Danica hater by any means. Here's a couple of pics I grabbed at Watkins Glen 2008
    On Track
    Pit
    I think I'll stop talking about it all together until something tangible shows up. I am excited it may happen, and I'd give my left nut to work with the team. I'm trying to be optimistic, but I'm a realist.
    Last edited by brads03zx3; 02-26-2009 at 05:21 PM.

Liked
    1 times

My prediction: Marco Andretti & Graham Rahal
    "The crashes people remember, but drivers remember the near misses" -Mario Andretti

+ Reply to Thread