+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aim Solo 2 vs MyChron 5 ?

Liked
    0 times

Default Aim Solo 2 vs MyChron 5 ?

A friend and I bought a "classic" (quotation marks because it was built in 2017) Formula Ford (like this one) and we wanted to do some simple and cheap data acquisition to improve our driving. So I ordered a Solo 2.

Now that I'm searching for more information, I see much more is available about the MyChron 5 than about the Solo 2 and that the Mychron allows for some steering or throttle position sensors to be installed later on if we feel like it. So, the MyChron looks like the better choice to me, even though it's advertised as a karting data logger. Am I missing something? Is there an area where the Solo 2 works better?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    396 times

The fact that the MY5 is not touted by AiM for use in autos is a big red flag though a formula car is pretty close to a kart so it may be just fine. Just glancing at the product page - the MY5 rpm input is inductive (wrap the input around a spark plug wire) and might have issues in a car. No ECU connection. No real time math channels? My understanding is that the MY5 has limitations regarding the type of sensors regardless of whether the expansion hub is used but I have not confirmed this. For example, brake pressure sensors are supported but oil pressure are not? Remember the My5 is designed for karts so the supported sensors are likely to be kart centric. I have read that some have used the MY5 in a car with success though, others have been disappointed. A much better choice would be the MxM: AiM MXm. Shipping any day now. MxM pricing not yet firm but I expect 1000-1100.00. About 250 more than the MY5 and the expansion. The current AiM entry point auto system with analog channel support is the EVO4S with GS-Dash. 1400.00. A big jump from a Solo DL to an EVO4S/GS-Dash system. The MxM will fill that price gap.

Mark
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    0 times

I'm considering the Solo 2, not the Solo DL. The car has a modern-ish engine but had been converted to carburetor and doesn't have a CAN bus.

Real time math: not sure I'll need that, but the MyChron 5 is at least able to calculate the current gear.

Is the MyChron 5 able to do predictive lap time??

The other four digit options are a big no-no.

Liked
    396 times

The MY5 will do the same predictive modes as the other AiM systems. In order to get rpm input without a CAN bus ECU connection you will need to use the Solo2 DL. I have had some 'challenges' with AiM's automatic gear calculation so I almost always program the gear number using a real time math channel now. The sensor options are the big question on the MY5. If the sensors you need are supported I don't see a huge down side but I would contact AiM directly and see what they have to say.

Mark
    Last edited by markn; 04-08-2018 at 02:00 PM.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by markn View Post
    In order to get rpm input without a CAN bus ECU connection you will need to use the Solo2 DL.
    I thought the point of the Solo 2 DL was to connect to your ECU, rather than installing sensors. I don't think it's available yet, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by markn View Post
    The sensor options are the big question on the MY5. If the sensors you need are supported I don't see a huge down side but I would contact AiM directly and see what they have to say.
    That's the thing: I don't really need anything, I'll be pretty happy to start with just a speed trace and shave 5-10 seconds to my laptime. Once that done, I think I would like to check my brake pressure, throttle input, steering angle...but I don't know, really.

Liked
    396 times

I am still waiting on AiM to deliver the 20 or so Solo2 DL's I have on order. It has been 'two weeks' now for a while. The Solo2 DL has the ability to connect an rpm input as well as ECU connections. The standard Solo2 does not. The Solo2 inputs are GPS only.

If you haven't used data before don't get too caught up in the need for additional sensors. Walk before you run. An incredible amount can be learned from the GPS based channels at very low cost.

Mark
    Last edited by markn; 04-08-2018 at 02:07 PM.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports

Liked
    0 times

I don't care about the rpm, really, the car has a tachometer, so the DL isn't on the table.

Question is about choosing between the Solo 2 (and I leave it alone) and a MyChron 5 (and I get the possibility of adding some analog sensors later on).

But you're right, I'm gonna call in Italy tomorrow, hopefully one of them is an English or French speaker.

+ Reply to Thread