+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ABS on a track car

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    but does this mean "both feet in" thingie don't apply ?
    If you are so sideways that the thought "I am spinning, I need to put both feet in" enters your brain, ABS is probably not going to engage anyway. The computer is looking at the front/rear wheel speed difference to determine when to apply ABS and once you are really sideways/spinning, the fronts & rears more or less stop rotating. The both-feet-in rule should be followed IMO.

(If you continue to spin and make it 360* around so that you are once again both traveling and facing roughly the same direction, the wheels will start rotating again and ABS will probably engage I'd imagine)

This thread is just begging for an Astraist response........

Liked
    142 times

Silly question how is race ABS better than street ABS?
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Se7en View Post
    Silly question how is race ABS better than street ABS?
    Same reason as everything else on the car. One system is engineered for Buemi at Spa, the other for blondes going to the spa in snowy Sweden.

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Same reason as everything else on the car. One system is engineered for Buemi at Spa, the other for blondes going to the spa in snowy Sweden.
    unlike you, I definitely prefer Swedish blondes than Buemi
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    142 times

OK let me rephrase the question what are the differences between race ABS [like the Bosch ABS M4-kit] and the normal street ABS?

Does the race ABS allow a higher threshold before activating and when it does are the brake pulses at a higher frequency because the the higher speeds involved?
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Se7en View Post
    OK let me rephrase the question what are the differences between race ABS [like the Bosch ABS M4-kit] and the normal street ABS?

Does the race ABS allow a higher threshold before activating and when it does are the brake pulses at a higher frequency because the the higher speeds involved?
    I have no idea, I'd recommend reading the marketing material for the M4. Try not to do this:

If I was to guess, I'd expect no "ice mode", the system being very tolerant of braking really hard and hitting curbs, a balance/strategy that doesn't hork up your trailbraking, a system that doesn't worry about driver discomfort (minor surprise yaws) or lawsuits. And hopefully very short stops

Liked
    0 times

do you track ABS and non-ABS any differently ? driving line ? while sideway ? trailbraking ? driving 2 wheels in dirt, 2 wheels on pavement (as in passing) ? braking over curbs ?
    Driving line - Where ABS may interfere with proper threshold braking and with trailbraking (particularly slippery/bumpy corners) -- it's worth to consider a longer braking zone.

Sideways - Under heavy cornering loads, ABS becomes very sensitive due to the tendency of the inside-rear wheel to lock. This makes it hard to trailbrake. Furthermore, some ABS systems are calibrated to reduce stopping distance on the expense of cornering - generating some understeer. Others (Clio) provide good steerability with very bad deceleration.

trailbraking - As said, many systems make it hard to trailbrake neatly.

Split-grip - Again, some newer systems are calibrated to provide good deceleration over lateral stability. I have witnessed cars that would yaw somewhat in this situation, but slow down faster than cars which remained perfectly stable.

The same applies for curbs, except that if it makes the rear wheel swing in the air, it will automatically activate the ABS under almost any condition.

basically, is there a circumstance that you drive one way on car with ABS, another on car w/o ABS ?
    Depending on the system installed in the specific car: How intruding is the system in straightline threshold braking? how intruding it is during trailbraking? how intruding it is during split-grip braking? Is is calibrated for better deceleration or for better steerability/stability?

About braking in a skid ("Both feet in") -- the rule applies both for ABS and without it. Here in particular, some ABS systems would be calibrated to stop the car faster and some ABS systems will create a long stopping distance but maintain very good steering (what Tyler mentioned). In a spin, the difference becomes very noticeable.
    Last edited by Astraist; 02-08-2011 at 06:03 AM.

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    This thread is just begging for an Astraist response........
    Ohhhh snap.

i dont care
    Liked
    5 times

lol....
    driving cars n stuff....

Post-College Racing Sloth hikickracing's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

Its a shame that the answers are usually well written. Its also a shame that most people here haven't learned anything new from the post. You americans should be ashamed that non-english speaking countries have better command of written english
    Aztec Racing
    fsae.sdsu.edu

www.hikickracing.com

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by hikickracing View Post
    Its a shame that the answers are usually well written. Its also a shame that most people here haven't learned anything new from the post. You americans should be ashamed that non-english speaking countries have better command of written english
    Sort of like how non-drivers are better to teach performance driving?

Post-College Racing Sloth hikickracing's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

I have to exclude myself from the above statement.
    1. While I'm not american, I'm in the process of becoming one
    2. I suck at english using
    Aztec Racing
    fsae.sdsu.edu

www.hikickracing.com

Liked
    6 times

Quote Originally Posted by hikickracing View Post
    all he did was re-cap what a few of us already said
    --Chris Ronson Jr--
    www.ronsonracing.com

T1 Corvette roller for sale

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2