+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 996 porsche 911 base model as daily driver / mild tracking question

Liked
    0 times

Default 996 porsche 911 base model as daily driver / mild tracking question

What do you guys think about the 996 porsche 911 base model as daily driver / mild track car?

The price seemed to drop like crazy, under 20k for car around 90-100k miles.

Liked
    375 times

It's a real bargain right now.

Liked
    143 times

Aren't these the cars with the engines involving the class action lawsuit against Porsche? Intermiate shaft failures on 2001-2005 Boxsters and 911s.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

ETK
    Liked
    112 times

I think its a great choice, but there may be some key issues you need to resolve before flogging it at the track. I don't know the specifics, but I think there are some quirks with that model that are cheaper to address before taking it to the track than after something breaks.

Also, more generally speaking, mild track cars are a gateway drug leading to less mild track cars and eventually leading to race cars. Many people quickly find themselves in the limbo between track and street cars. If you continue down this path, you will want a roll cage, race seat/harness, Head and Neck Restraint . . . and it is much cheaper to buy a track car that has most or all of this done.
    Olitho likes this.
    2002 Porsche 911 Targa
    1967 GTV
    1991 Mazda SuperMiata - Junior
    2008 350z - Sold

FastInFastOut.com

Liked
    855 times

Quote Originally Posted by ETK View Post
    . . . more generally speaking, mild track cars are a gateway drug leading to less mild track cars and eventually leading to race cars. .
    This cautionary comment is well taken.

I am pretty sure that Phillip Seymour Hoffman did not start out mainlining Ace of Spades smack.

aceheroin.jpg

And I'll bet Oli, Emilio, Jack Olson, and Jim Tway (and all the other Track HQ "25 best track time" notables) began tracking with the most innocent of intentions . . . .but now (ominous background music) they are all hopelessly beyond the gateway.
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 02-07-2014 at 08:27 PM.
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    2243 times

I'd love to have one. I could still shuttle our kids around in it and take it to the track. Is it possible to find a car with documentation that the troublesome engine has been replaced? That'd be the one to get.

I saw one guy who had taken some vinyl the exact color of the paint, and cut it and stuck it on the headlamps to make them and signals look like they were round.. A faux 997.

Liked
    1477 times

I thought William said there is no fix for the 996 intermediate shaft problem? If not for that, I'd buy one.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    188 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I thought William said there is no fix for the 996 intermediate shaft problem? If not for that, I'd buy one.
    There's an aftermarket fix... if I remember correctly.

Don't remember the specifics (or what the costs are), but discovered it when researching Boxsters back around 2004/2005.

Liked
    38 times

OK, here is the deal on the 996 as I have been tracking/driving mine for 6+years now... They are a major leap in performance from the 993 but they have some issues that you need to be aware of.

I have a 2004 which has the updated 3.6L engine and some body stiffening like all the 2002+. I would recommend budgeting for one of the later cars as they seem to be improved on certain engine issues (IMS bearing, intermix etc.)

Lets talk about the IMS (intermediate shaft bearing). I have never replaced mine but plan too when I do the clutch eventually. Obviously a non oil fed bearing on an engine is not the best idea so think of it more of as a wear item that should be addressed every now and then. Pelican Parts now offers a bearing kit for around $165 which uses an OEM style bearing and I am sure it will be just fine. I have a theory that the cars that are garaged and babied too much have more issues with this bearing as the engine never fully warms up enough to burn off all the condensation inside the sump.

The RMS (rear main seal) can be replaced with the latest part # and that should be the end of the issue.

For the track and nice comfy street manners add the following:
    ROW030 sport suspension package (comes with springs,shocks,sways from Porsche for $1200).
    Third front radiator kit (again from Porsche) $600
    X51 Oil Pan or one of the updates on that design
    An LSD differential of some sort (Quaife, Kaaz, Guard etc.) I have a Quaife and like it...

I was just thinking how many track miles I have on my car and currently I really don't know, I think at least 4000+ with never an issue that stranded me. The only issue I had was a voltage regulator that died (my fault as I was using a PC680 battery that never really worked right).

I should probably replace my wheel bearing one of these years as I have never done that.
    Also the brake disks are cheap and last awhile (I am on my third set I believe). Pagid makes great pads in either the Yellow or Orange for the track.

Let me know of any more questions.

Liked
    375 times

Thanks for that post, Todd.

Liked
    543 times

Quote Originally Posted by Todd R View Post

ROW030 sport suspension package (comes with springs,shocks,sways from Porsche for $1200).
    Both of these items sound incredibly reasonable in price considering the manufacturer. Cool.
    Blackbird and Lincoln Logs like this.
    Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Liked
    704 times

Do they have a headlight fix?
    JJ1 likes this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    375 times

There's a decal that doesn't fix it, really, but kind of distracts from it.

But for a track car... beauty is as beauty does. The 996 has great chassis rigidity, great aero and a lot of grunt (for a 911).

Liked
    2243 times

^^ Yep, that's a lot like the one I saw, but it had another hole cutout for the turn signal.

Liked
    1477 times

Todd -

Thanks for the info from one who knows first hand. I have seen you at the track many times and you are fast in your mildly-modded 996.

My concern with the IMS bearing problem is that it is unlikely to cause a major disaster, but if it does, and it has on occasion, you are looking at a $30,000- replacement engine for a car that cost $20,000- or less. I guess I'm just a bit too risk averse. And those headlights . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Todd R View Post
    OK, here is the deal on the 996 as I have been tracking/driving mine for 6+years now... They are a major leap in performance from the 993 but they have some issues that you need to be aware of.

I have a 2004 which has the updated 3.6L engine and some body stiffening like all the 2002+. I would recommend budgeting for one of the later cars as they seem to be improved on certain engine issues (IMS bearing, intermix etc.)

Lets talk about the IMS (intermediate shaft bearing). I have never replaced mine but plan too when I do the clutch eventually. Obviously a non oil fed bearing on an engine is not the best idea so think of it more of as a wear item that should be addressed every now and then. Pelican Parts now offers a bearing kit for around $165 which uses an OEM style bearing and I am sure it will be just fine. I have a theory that the cars that are garaged and babied too much have more issues with this bearing as the engine never fully warms up enough to burn off all the condensation inside the sump.

The RMS (rear main seal) can be replaced with the latest part # and that should be the end of the issue.

X51 Oil Pan or one of the updates on that design
    An LSD differential of some sort (Quaife, Kaaz, Guard etc.) I have a Quaife and like it...

I was just thinking how many track miles I have on my car and currently I really don't know, I think at least 4000+ with never an issue that stranded me. The only issue I had was a voltage regulator that died (my fault as I was using a PC680 battery that never really worked right).

I should probably replace my wheel bearing one of these years as I have never done that.
    Also the brake disks are cheap and last awhile (I am on my third set I believe). Pagid makes great pads in either the Yellow or Orange for the track.

Let me know of any more questions.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post

And I'll bet Oli, Emilio, Jack Olson, and Jim Tway (and all the other Track HQ "25 best track time" notables) began tracking with the most innocent of intentions . . . .but now (ominous background music) they are all hopelessly beyond the gateway.

I was addicted after my second hit.
    bawareca likes this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    855 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I was addicted after my second hit.
    What car? What track?

Liked
    1477 times

I was addicted from the first hit -- 2003 at SoW in 350Z. The only cure is to force yourself to stay away from the track for a long time. You actually start to lose the cravings . . .

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    What car? What track?
    A 2004 LeMans Edition Z06 in the fall of 2014. I was probably hooked by then, but I knew for sure after a day at SoWS two weeks later.

On the two hour drive home I planned my two year road map to start wheel to wheel racing. Two years from that October I bought my current Corvette Z06 and have been avidly racing it in everything from regionals to pro races since then.
    Loose Caboose likes this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2398 times

Quote Originally Posted by ETK View Post
    ..Also, more generally speaking, mild track cars are a gateway drug leading to less mild track cars and eventually leading to race cars. Many people quickly find themselves in the limbo between track and street cars. If you continue down this path, you will want a roll cage, race seat/harness, Head and Neck Restraint . . . and it is much cheaper to buy a track car that has most or all of this done.
    So true. You might be surprised at how often I talk a customer out of modifying a cushy and quiet daily driver in their dream "dual purpose" HPDE car. It's just an expensive way to ruin a perfectly good daily driver and still have an incompetent track day car.

If someone can afford all the mods, prep work, consumables of a competent HPDE car, they can afford to buy a cheap used race car. That will be far safer on the track too.

I was hooked driving my 1989 Mazda 323GTX in 1991 or so.

To the OP, I hear the LSX conversion are quite tidy and dead reliable. Cheaper than a new engine from Porsche and get this, less weight on the tail. I'm not a big 911 fan but If I were looking for a track toy 996, I'd buy a low mileage example with a popped engine and put a 5.3L L33 engine in it.
    bawareca likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast