+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: which 80s and 90s collectors car would you buy for keep

Liked
    2282 times

with FD, which is the most desirable model ? (in U.S.) fewest made ?
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    0 times

BMW E30 M3. The car that I began my motorsport endeavors in.

Only 4,996 E30M3's were imported into US Soil and only ~18,000 are produced for the globe. The price of E30M3's are appreciating as we speak and will continue to do so, with pristine examples commanding more than used E46M3's. So owning a pristine stock one would be a good investment. It will be a classic car in the years to come for sure.

Below was my E30M3 along with my E46M3.

Another good choice would be the Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-16 Valve Cosworth. E30 M3's arch rival in the 80-90's DTM Races. Only ~2000 were imported into the US. Below is the 2.5-16 EVO which is not imported into the US but looks really hot with the factory widebody.

There are also the Audi Quattro, Renault R5 Turbo (US?), Lancia Delta Integrale (Non-US), Subaru Impreza 22B (Japan). Basically I would go for race homologation specials because they are produced in limited numbers with strong racing histories to back them up.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Clement; 12-10-2008 at 05:57 AM.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    William, when I was looking at purchasing FD's before, my first choice would be Competition Yellow Mica (Only 350 in US).

There might be rarer ones like a White 95 with R2 Package but they don't come with the special Yellow which is only available in 93.

Liked
    977 times

The 95 R2 is by far the rarest FD in the US; there were only 55 or something like that sold. There are very few '95 models overall though, and I think any 94-95 R2 model is becoming pretty rare. I missed an opportunity, like an idiot, to pick up a '94 R2 with 9,000 miles on it for something like $12,000. I think that car would be worth a decent amount in the future.

Scroll down for a good table: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_RX-7

Quote Originally Posted by Clement View Post
    William, when I was looking at purchasing FD's before, my first choice would be Competition Yellow Mica (Only 350 in US).

There might be rarer ones like a White 95 with R2 Package but they don't come with the special Yellow which is only available in 93.
    This is true, unfortunately the 93's on the whole are a POS and riddled with electrical and other issues. There was also a paint problem with the Mazda's in 93 which means that finding a CYM with good (original) paint is becoming impossible.
    Last edited by hakeem; 12-10-2008 at 10:09 AM.

Liked
    1477 times

I almost bought an FD new, but bought a '95 E36 M3 instead because I need a car with a backseat.

FD's are rare and desirable, but pretty fragile too.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by mlk_f1 View Post
    What about the center driving position Motorsport Elise? I don't think there are too many of those, right? ah, forget it. I forgot about the qualifications. It was not sold in US and probably not street legal.
    I am guessing less than 50 ever made...

http://www.wirewheel.com/index.php?a...&WebSiteID=409

Liked
    2282 times

Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-16 Valve Cosworth

I owned one for 10 years.

reason I asked about FD, is a clean 93 R1 that came up for sale. always loved the look of FD. and loved rotary (my first sports cars was a 82 RX7)
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 12-10-2008 at 10:35 AM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    0 times

I think Clement is right on target about the collector car phenomenon. For a car to be really collectible, low production runs alone are not sufficient, it needs provenance. The best way to get that is through racing pedigree.

As much as I love Lotus, I don't think any of their recent cars will be collectible for this reason. Now, if they would put a factory effort behind the 211, that might change things! Of course, there was the British GT3 championship a couple of years ago...hmmm...

I think the E30 M3 has great potential.

Shine

*I can't even begin to explain the prices "muscle cars" have been commanding in recent years!

Liked
    0 times

Clement I like where your head is at!

I would definitely have an e30 M3, I have fallen in love with them over the past couple years .

Other cars that would make the list would be
    mkIV Supra 6speed Hard top
    93 Mustang cobra or Saleen supercharged version
    The last Camaro SS 02? or what ever the year was.

There are others that I am forgetting, the brain just isn't working well currently.

Liked
    545 times

One thing you have to think about when looking for a "future collectible" is the rarity and desirability of the car.

Everyone loves Ferraris. But these days, Ferraris and other exotics can get wrecked within a inch of their lives, and the cars generally end up rebuilt. And the total production numbers are very high.

In the old days, if a car was wrecked, it'd get stripped for parts, and that'd be that. Which has led to a number of cases where "two" cars exist.

I think the Merc 190 Evo could be one of those cars that was otherwise forgotten and unloved.

Steve

Liked
    1477 times

I disagree with all of you about the E30 M3. It's not a fast car by modern standards. It's just a tarted up E30. I don't think it will ever be worth much more than it is now.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I disagree with all of you about the E30 M3. It's not a fast car by modern standards. It's just a tarted up E30. I don't think it will ever be worth much more than it is now.
    Even if this is true, it is undeniably a collectible, with so few of them out there.
    It doesn't bother me all that much that its not terribly fast , not many older cars are at all "speedy" by today's standards anyway. They sure are gorgeous though. Neat little cars

Liked
    0 times

To every one want to collect a FD3S(93 RX-7).

Now a day, since RX-7 become pretty rare. is not you pick the car. is the car pick u. Forget about CYM. or 95 R2. or even a R1 model every one want those and every one mess it out big time. you should be pretty happy if you can find a good example Touring and Base model..... Unless you want to pay way way higher price......

As for BMW M3. is slow or fast.....

Is not a fast car in modren day sports car stander.. but So to Lotus Elan(the origional one) or AlFA Gullia. but is the charector and driving feeling make these car special...

However I still love my 7 better then any thing else (RX-7s and Super 7)

FIA WTCC/Formula D Driver MiataCharles_Hong_Kong's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

More like 70s collector, but I love this one a lot: PGC10 Nissan Skyline GTR

Wiki:

The first Skyline GT-R, known by the internal Nissan designation PGC10, was released in February 4, 1969. It was available originally as a four-door sedan after a public debut at the 15th annual Tokyo Motor Show. It was advertised alongside the Nissan R380A racecar to showcase its racing heraldry. It was equipped with the 2.0 L DOHC S20 I6 producing 160 hp (120 kW) at 7000 rpm and 118 N·m (87 ft·lbf) of torque. Power was delivered to the rear wheels by a 5-speed manual transmission. The first Skyline GT-R rode on a semi-trailing arm strut suspension. It was available as a coupe in March 1971 with the chassis code KPGC10.

A popular name for the PGC and KPGC10 Skyline GT-R was "Hakosuka," which is a combination of the Japanese word for box ("hako" or ハコ) and the pronounced abbreviation of skyline ("Suka" or スカ as in スカイライン or "sukairain").

A total of 1,945 PGC and KPGC10 Skyline GT-R's were produced.
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by MiataCharles_Hong_Kong; 12-11-2008 at 05:39 PM.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    As much as I love Lotus, I don't think any of their recent cars will be collectible for this reason. Now, if they would put a factory effort behind the 211, that might change things! Of course, there was the British GT3 championship a couple of years ago...hmmm...
    I guess they have been reading your mind

Lotus Sport have been racing the 2-Eleven in the European GT4 series all year.

The Lotus Sport 2-Eleven GT4 Supersport race car asserts itself at the pinnacle of the 2-Eleven range, combining race winning pedigree with unparalleled handling and balance. Building on the success of the 2-Eleven road and track variants, Lotus Sport has developed this GT4 Supersport race car to compete in the European SRO GT4 Supersports category.
    The Lotus Sport GT4 Supersport pushes the limits to the extreme: wearing a dramatic composite body, full rollcage and with increased power and a sequential gearbox it provides a race winning package. The GT4 Supersport offers an advanced aerodynamic package, with aggressive styling alluding to its searing performance and phenomenal racing potential.
    Mike Kimberley, CEO of Group Lotus plc said, "Lotus has an enviable motor racing heritage that includes some of the most successful racing cars in history. We are confident that the 2-Eleven will continue our winning tradition and become a classic of the future. The 2-Eleven GT4 Supersport offers one of the most cost effective, competitive and easiest routes into this level of motorsport".
    Lotus Sport has increased the power and torque available in the GT4 Supersport car to 270 PS and 247 Nm from the standard supercharged cars 255 PS and 242 Nm engine. The increases in power and torque have been gained through improved induction and exhaust systems, and with a high ratio supercharger drive system for increased levels of boost. To maximise the upgrades to the engine the engine management system has been remapped and optimised.
    Lotus Sport is offering a 6 speed sequential gearbox with a centrally mounted push/ pull lever and gear selector display. The gearbox is integrated with the engine management system to allow flat shifts up through the box and an “autoblip” rev matching system on downchange. This transmission offers lightning quick gear changes, shaving those all important tenths off each gear change. A plate type limited slip differential, employed to improve traction out of corners competes the setup.
    Chris Arnold, Head of Lotus Sport, said "the GT4 Supersport has some exceptional new features and provides a compelling package that has race winning credentials. This is a hugely exciting new car for Lotus Sport, we have already had good success in mainland Europe with the test car and we are looking forward to our customers successes in the 2009 season".
    There will be an initial run limited to 10 cars priced at Ł78 255 MSRP with delivery dates in March ready for the '09 racing season. Some GT4 Supersport features can be retro-fitted to 2-Elevens that have already beenpurchased, offering increased versatility and allowing owners to upgrade their car as they hone their skills.
    The 2-Eleven double wishbone suspension is uprated with stiffer race focused springs and dampers. The dampers are the race proven 2-way adjustable Ohlins units, allowing the handling to be fine tuned for optimum track setup. The rear suspension has been upgraded with the addition of race spec rear toe links. Semi-slick AO48 Yokohama's are fitted as standard.
    Another new addition for 2009 is the Lotus manufactured FIA compliant carbon fibre race seats. The Lotus Sport seats are HANS approved and are complimented with a Schroth 6-point race harness. A 70 litre FIA approved bag tank is fitted as part of the GT4 Supersport spec along with a plumbed-in fire extinguisher system. A concession to easier ingress and egress comes in the form of a removable Lotus Sport steering wheel.
    The GT4 Supersport has a rigid tonneau cover to improve aerodynamics. The aero package is improved with significant levels of downforce generated by a carbon fibre rear wing and rear diffuser, balanced by a deep front splitter. The GT4 Supersport generates up to 80 kg of positive downforce at 100 mph, which is over 10 % of the cars weight.
    The race car retains the excellent sports tuned ABS, variable traction control and launch control systems available on the current 2-Eleven. These race proven systems have been thoroughly tested and give exceptional feel and control in a wide variety of conditions.
    http://www.gt4cup.com/

NA Power, Every hour! andrewdruiz's Avatar
    Liked
    36 times

Any manual, black interior, clean FD would be an excellent collector's item. 93's had different interior trim and a slightly different tach/speedo, as well as some other misc. things.

The FD is such a timeless beauty. I love mine
    1994 RX-7 R2
    1990 Miata

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

In terms of history/rarity:

NSX
    E30 M3
    FD RX7
    MKIV Supra
    E39 M5? -still one of my favorite uberwagons
    Viper (Original RT/10 or GTS)

Liked
    20 times

E30 M3 EVOIII (Euro 240bhp version)
    1994 BMW 325is M-Technic
    FD RX7
    NSX
    Buick GNX
    93 Mustang Cobra R

Im sure i can think of more, but i'd be happy with that list.

Liked
    704 times

911 speedster is at the top of my list but will probably never have one.
    911 RS America - I think that's what it's called. From the late eighties.
    93 Miata LE
    00 Evo orange Miata

E

Working
    Liked
    29 times

S1 Exige/Elise
    E30 M3
    Mini Cooper S
    VW Corrado SLC
    Honda NSX
    Honda S2000 AP2
    Mazda RX7 FD3S
    VW GTI mk I
    Lancer Evolution RS
    GC8 22B
    Last edited by Dino Antonov; 12-27-2009 at 12:30 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast