+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 6/30/07 Infineon - NASA ---- almost...

Motorsports Photographer imager993's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

Default 6/30/07 Infineon - NASA ---- almost...

well, I am putting this thread in the general forum because, well... I never made it on the track.

I have been looking forward to driving Infineon for a while and decided a few weeks ago that I would take time off work and head up this weekend. I loaded up my car and started my drive up.

About two thirds up, north of Santa Cruz, I had what sounded like a turbo hose blow. I had very little power and I could clearly hear my turbo spinning up freely. I couldn't find any loose hoses so I decided to limp the car up to Sonoma where my brother lives.

Halfway on my limp up the turbo stopped making the spool up noise and I said hmm, that isn't good. Then it started smoking even more as I got closer. I started to worry. I was able to get it to my brother's place about 20 minutes from Infineon. The next morning, this morning, I limped it to the track to have a friend take a look.

By the time I got to the track, it was pretty much apparent that my turbo was screwed. It is either a problem with the turbo seal or the turbo itself. I have rented a U-Haul to tow my car down tomorrow and will take it to the shop on Monday.

Pictures and updates to come...

Liked
    34 times

Sorry to hear this Aaron. I know you were so lookin forward to this weekend. And I was also lookin forward to see your vids. I don't have any experience with turbo engines. But it seems like it is a very comment problem. "colakitty"'s car, Suby Legacy, was having a similar problem last time at BW. His turbo was smoking and burning about half quart oil per session. I think he is gonna rebuild it this summer. Sucks to have mechanical problems at the track, and it sucks even more when it happened so far away. This is why I still haven't gone anywhere further then Buttonwillow. I wouldn't feel save traveling to ie Laguna Seca without a tow/trailer. Who knows what will happen, I can crash, someone can crash into me, or a breakdown, etc. Good thing you have a brother up there. Have a save drive back. Wish I could help, but you are so far away. Next time we should organize a caravan to these events. so we can help each other out on the unexpected.

Liked
    1 times

Thanks for the kind words Manly. I have made it home after driving 9 hours with the U-Haul. It was surprisingly cheaper than I thought at around $320 for the U-Haul truck, car trailer and appropriate insurance for a one way trip from north of San Fran down to Los Angeles. The only thing that sucked is that that the U-Haul beast really sucked down the gas. Easily spent another $160 in fuel, one way.

Taking the car to the shop tomorrow for the final verdict.

Liked
    34 times

Glad you made it back without anymore drama. The U-haul cost is reasonable given the mileage, but its still pretty hefty, especially with the gas included.
    Keep us inform on your TT's final verdict.

Liked
    0 times

I was wondering why I didn't see your times on mylaps.com. Wow, that is a crazy trip.
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3
    JC3D // Racecars and Keyframes // 996 Spec

Liked
    1 times

Yeah, car is at the shop now. I'll hear tonight or probably tomorrow what they found when they start taking things apart. Good thing is that I have an extended warranty on the car and this happened on the street (even though the track time is probably what actually caused the failure).

I am driving a Scooby Doo Outback rental car for $25 a day. Hopefully this doesn't take too long to fix.

I am making the most out of the rental and ONLY using my left foot to brake. Gotta do some training.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by imager993 View Post
    Yeah, car is at the shop now. I'll hear tonight or probably tomorrow what they found when they start taking things apart. Good thing is that I have an extended warranty on the car and this happened on the street (even though the track time is probably what actually caused the failure).

I am driving a Scooby Doo Outback rental car for $25 a day. Hopefully this doesn't take too long to fix.

I am making the most out of the rental and ONLY using my left foot to brake. Gotta do some training.
    Sweet . . . get it fixed on warranty. You probably should have started towing the minute you experience trouble on the highway.

Too bad about missing Infineon. I assume NASA does not give refunds or credits for missed track days without advance notice. Sorry to hear that.

Liked
    1 times

well, I was able to work something out with the nice people at NASA. but shhhh...

Liked
    1 times

A few photos on my way up through the golden gate bridge.

This is a friend of mine from the TT forums.

And my return trip home.

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by imager993 View Post
    And my return trip home.

Haha, what a waste of logistical space. You could of drive by a greyhound station and offer rides to LA for a small fee to recoup some of the rental fee. haha. j/k

On a more serious note, when you rent the trailer from Uhaul, did they provide you with all the tie down straps? I plan to rent one for the trip up to Laguna seca q4 of this yr.

BTW, another great panning shot.

Liked
    1 times

Yeah, a big waste of space. I just had my track wheels in the back of the truck. I thought about going furniture shopping actually.

U-Haul provided straps that go over and around the front wheels that tighten down very securely. I then just put a safety chain on the back of the car. I went over some really big bumps on the 5 doing around 70 and my car never moved an inch side to side on the trailer.

Renting just the car trailer was something like $140. Renting the Truck was $160 and when you rent the truck, you get the trailer for an extra 45. This was of course for the specific mileage between where I was in NorCal and Los Angeles. I am sure rates would be different depending on the distance. The insurance and taxes added another hundred or so, but I did the insurance just to make sure I was covered if anything happened. It also covered the contents of what was being hauled and towed. Seems like a viable option for the occasional really big track day. You can carry up wheels and equipment for lots of people to help a little bit with the cost.

Liked
    6 times

I like the idea Manly had of caravaning.

I was talking to Roy about Laguna Seca in November with Redline, and we may try something like that going up. If possible, I hope to use my brother-in-law's Dodge Ram and a friends trailer, because breaking down 6 hours from home is no fun.

But my buddies and I were thinking just 1 or 2 trucks and trailers for 4 or 5 cars would still work, unless something happened to ALL the cars. We figured if one car breaks, it would be towed while the rest cruise home. And a pickup can carry the extra tires for all the cars (which don't fit in Miatas & 350Zs).

Glad you made it back ok Aaron. Hope all goes well with the car so we can meet on track one day.

Liked
    34 times

Wow, $140 just for the trailer. I just want to rent the trailer as I already have a tow vehicle. I remember seeing some brand new 16ft steel trailers for something about $1200 a year ago. But i have don't ahve a place to park it though, hummmmm. will hav eto look in to it.

Yeah, we should plan out the november event. good to have a group of ppl incase something happens. I can help haul tools, tires, etc in my pickup. And we should lodge at the same place too. We can all head down to cannery road for some beer in the evening.

Liked
    1 times

What about the October 1 and 2 NASA and SV events at Laguna Seca? anybody thinking about that one?

Liked
    6 times

Quote Originally Posted by mlk_f1 View Post
    Wow, $140 just for the trailer. I just want to rent the trailer as I already have a tow vehicle. I remember seeing some brand new 16ft steel trailers for something about $1200 a year ago. But i have don't ahve a place to park it though, hummmmm. will hav eto look in to it.

Yeah, we should plan out the november event. good to have a group of ppl incase something happens. I can help haul tools, tires, etc in my pickup. And we should lodge at the same place too. We can all head down to cannery road for some beer in the evening.
    I'm there!

I won't be able to make the October event - unless I get ANOTHER raise at work.

Liked
    0 times

Aaron, the only way to make up for this is to come to the speedventures aug 24 day at laguna with us. It's not on their site yet, so shoot aaron an email if you want to go, so far it is me and jared going.
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3

Liked
    1 times

I live about a half hour north of Laguna and will be at both the October 1 NASA event as well as the Redline Time Attack all three days.

Liked
    1 times

John, Maybe I will join you guys in August. It will probably be easier for me to get off than October considering the movie I am working on is due the end of October. I remember Aaron talking about the August date, but never followed up with him. I take it that you guys are driving up Thursday night and staying through the weekend?

I'll then play the October dates by ear depending on how busy I am then.

Liked
    0 times

They are sharing it with the POC. I wouldn't have known about it but it was on our schedule. Just sent you an email about the accommodations we have booked.
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3

Liked
    1 times

hmm sharing with POC, does that mean limited track time? like only four sessions and no pulling double sessions? Even the NASA event in October is doing 7 twenty minute sessions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast