+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 6/23/12 enduro report - why we have to fire our head mechanic...

Liked
    2282 times

Default 6/23/12 enduro report - why we have to fire our head mechanic...

6/23/12, NASA WERC day/night 3 hours enduro. 7-10PM

Crusher - E1 - Theo
    Rover - E3 - Andrew Kidd and Andrew McKelvey
    Enzo - E3 - William and Justin
    Kitty - E3 - Gordon and Emilio

all 4 cars have a good story to tell...

in NASA short enduro. there is no qualifying.... it is draw of a hat that determines one's qualifying position.....
    we drew the short straw. all E3 cars starts in the very back of the pack.......out of 15 car E3 field. don't quite remember where Crusher started....
    We had all noob lineup for the first stint. They have very little experience with 1CCW. It would take them 30 minutes before they get back on speed.
    at 30 minutes mark, it was pretty grim. Crusher was 3rd out of 3 in E1.
    Rover and Kitty was mid pack, between 7th to 9th.. Enzo was 14th out of 15th.......
    Fast E3 cars like Sampson, Burgoon, 1 of the fast RX7, RJ, Kreider were all fighting each other out. Burgoon led for a while.
    day look like a disaster.............

then past 30 minutes mark... all our noob started picking up speed....and slowly creeping up on the standing...........

Crusher
    of all 4 cars, it was the least dramatic... Theo still a relatively enduro noob, started picking off competitor. with 1 good pit stop. it leap frog into 2nd. Later at the night, while competitors slowed, Theo went fast and took E1 win......and 4th overall (out of ~30 cars). Top 3 overall would of gotten a fancy trophy instead of the usual $2 plastic trophy...well, next time.

Kitty
    Gordon took the first stint. took him 20 minutes to learn 1CCW. but once he got the hang, he started picking off competitors. Gordon moved up slowly in position.
    about an hour in, at high speed left Grapevine. He got punted by the Porsche Cup car on the inside....Porsche's right fender hit Kitty's right rear quarter....Porsche was forcing his way through and miscalculated...black flag came out, and Kitty was black flagged. We were confused. turned out it was for not letting the Porsche by on the inside. We say what ??? Kitty then served a 5 minutes penalty in penalty box....this just turned from okay to bad...To save time, we pitted Kitty after the penalty for fuel and driver change (this was a confusion, we asked an official if we were allowed to do fuel right after 5 minutes penalty, he wasn't sure. he called in, the other guy weren't sure either. took a while to find out we could).

Emilio got in. all irritated. started clocking in fastest E3 time. went from ~10th to 3rd in the next 80 minutes....the rate he was going, he was going for the win...

then a mechanical...unheard of in a Miata. a cracked PPF (6ft long piece of metal bracket connecting transmission and diff). broke and took out rear axles and diff.......
    it went from bad to worst

Enzo
    long story. Enzo was an e2 car, but because of very little competition in E2. Decided to race Enzo in E3 instead. that means re-dyno for lower whp, and remove aero, run Richard's favorite tire - R888

car's old misfire came back. came back big time. it would barely idle... thanks to Gordon, Theo, Justin and Andrew. it turned out to be a bad ECU. borrowed Crusher's spare. car ran fine. but this was not until just few hours before the race, so we got no practice in the car.

Justin, started the race. being a 1CCW noob, he was having issues initially. 20 minutes in. a BMW had a big off at Sunrise, then shot accross the track almost taking Enzo out. Justin had to stomp on the brake to avoid contact. flat spotting both front tires. Justin was now driving on 2 flat spotted tires. his lap time went up ~5 seconds for few laps. In pit, we debated about bringing him in for tire changes (problem with that is nASA do not allow 2 tires changes in hot pit, we would need to bring him behind the wall, that would easily be a long 2-3 minutes stop.)

as we debated about bringing him in. his lap time started to drop. I guess Justin either learned to ignore the flat spotted tires or he learned the track by then.. Justin complained about the tires....Emilio ask the driver if he think he needs to come in to replace tires. I intervened "DON'T trust the drivers. WE make decision based on lap time. ignore the driver's whining". Emilio agreed and we kept him out....

Apparently Justin likes flat spotted tires, as he went faster and faster, matching with the top E3 cars in lap time. came in at 1.5 hours mark, refuel and I jumped in.......this is when problem started..

cool suit connector came off as it got caught in the belt change.
    left side mirror was falling off (dejavu T25), dangling, may be from loose bolts..
    my glasses was broken (happend during the day by sitting on it), but fixed it using duct tape...for some weird reason, this was one duct tape couldn't fix.
    flat spotted tires - apparently they do not get better as race went on...

That's my excuse. I myself a noob with 1CCW (done it once in the day), was having a hard time picking up visual cue for fast lap time..way I stayed in the game was following one of faster E3 around the track.

this was one my hardest enduro. Buttonwillow was never great at night.
    my glasses falling off to one side (I pulled it off mid race), having a lasik eye.
    badly shaking wheel (flat spot got a lot worse),
    not able to see left mirror..
    no working cool suit, I was heat exhausted. I just lost concentration, mistaken one of the right reflector (high speed right entering Phil's Hill), and went off big time at 100MPH. car spun ~3 times. Disoriented. I wasn't sure where I was, my first thought was Jim Tway's last year's race when he got lost out there at Riverside...I resisted the urge of getting on radio to say "Enzo still trying to find the track", but it took me good 30 seconds to know where I was and able to rejoin the track. Enzo is now covered in dirt. visibility was zero, I had to crawl at 50% speed to get back into pit, for window cleaning.

with window cleaned, I was a bit more comfortable.... for some reason, I was now in P3. turned out all the top guys were out of the race, suffered mechanical, had worse off than I did (not sure how that is possible)...I was too far behind P2 to try (not I could), P4 was too far behind me to matter...so I just settled in cruise mode....finishing 3rd.... When I got out, I patted myself on the back for surviving that ordeal and P3....

Rover

Rover belongs to Andrew Kidd (Savington), owner of Trackspeed Engineering. Also our head mechanic of last year's T25 team....What would he know about night enduro... just a HPDE driver and a w2w noob (got his w2w license 2 races prior) with excellent mechanical skill..

drivers were Andrew and Andrew. Both of the same first name. one is McKelvey, other is Kidd. Andrew McKelvey is a complete noob, This enduro was his first w2w race.

Rover started at back of the E3 pack. it took McKelvey a while to start catching up...He did a GREAT job for a rookie. never had a contact, and worked up to mid pack when he came in for pit stop and driver change...

Andrew Kidd jumped in...He worked his way up FAST....went from mid pack and caught up to P1 (RJ, suffering for 1 loose light) with 10 minutes to go...That was a great fight. with 3 lead changes. Andrew passed RJ (probably the best team in the pit, always podium, last year's E3 T25 winner, and great guys) with 7 minutes to go, and took P1 !!!!!!

btw, this mean McKevley won his first ever w2w race... damn rookie, damn noob, damn HPDE'er, damn... (is my jealousy showing ?), it is all downhill from here. he peaked too fast, won't understand the pain and suffering of climb to the top....

back to subject line: What do we do with Andrew Kidd ? He can change a Miata hub in 6 minutes, brakes in 4 minutes.....
    But his flying night enduro stint means he is more valuable as a driver or not ?

press release: with Deep regert, Team 949racing will have to let go of Andrew Kidd as Head T25 mechanic, effective immediatly...

press release: effective immediately, driver Andrew Kidd will be joining 949racing enduro team

--------------------------
    Richard's version:

Crusher - E1 - P1, 4th overall
    Rover - E3 - P1
    Enzo - E3 - P3
    Kitty - E3 - DNF
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 06-24-2012 at 08:31 PM.
    Red_5, jimt, hotrodmex and 3 others like this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1477 times

What's the point of the teaser? You can start a new thread anytime.
    granth likes this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    What's the point of the teaser? You can start a new thread anytime.
    Edit: You fired your head mechanic so you could hire him as an enduro driver. You should write headlines for one of those manipulative celebrity TV shows like "On the Red Carpet." Puzzy.
    bellwilliam likes this.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    854 times

I will never forget the first time that I saw Andrew Kidd drive a HPDE event at WSIR.

He literally made Nissan GTR's and Porsche GT-3's look like they were driving under a yellow flag.

Liked
    299 times

What about the crew? Anything exciting to report about their efforts in the pit stops? :P
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX View Post
    What about the crew? Anything exciting to report about their efforts in the pit stops? :P
    you mean like last Chump car race last weekend... when one of the crew (first name start with Z) accidentally set off a fire extinguisher during pit stop ?
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    114 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    you mean like last Chump car race last weekend... when one of the crew (first name start with Z) accidentally set off a fire extinguisher during pit stop ?
    Remember, the same thing happened during the 25. I think it was Wytt that did that to me sometime in the middle of the night.

I miss out on all of the excitement, every time.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    I will never forget the first time that I saw Andrew Kidd drive a HPDE event at WSIR.
    I will never forget the time when Andrew was a beginner and asked me to take him for a ride at WSIR in my Miata because I was killing him, especially in Turn 8. Probably 2007. He couldn't keep up with me that day. Now I couldn't possibly hope to stay with him in equally prepared cars, nevermind his turbo Miata.

Liked
    299 times

LOL!!!!! I see what you did there! -___- yea that was pretty funny. :P I was just making sure it was in working condition. hehehe. Fire bottle is serious business. :P

Liked
    2282 times

btw, Emilio in Crusher in PTC sprint race, qualfied P1, took P1 in race on Saturday. He got picked to go dyno.....
    he is allowed 170whp, made 158whp........... (imagine the surprise on competitors face)

damn, how does he win then ? so today's sprint race, NASA stuck a Traqmate in Crusher..... and Crusher qualified P1 again....

race in an hour.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 06-24-2012 at 02:01 PM.
    Neocataboi and Gian like this.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    btw, Emilio in Crusher in PTC sprint race, qualfied P1, took P1 in race on Saturday. He got picked to go dyno.....
    he is allowed 170whp, made 158whp...........

damn, how does he win then ?
    William -

Because Emilio is a great driver, and dynos are notoriously unreliable. Good luck in the Sunday sprint races. Keep the updates coming. Thanks!

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    William -

Because Emilio is a great driver, and dynos are notoriously unreliable. Good luck in the Sunday sprint races. Keep the updates coming. Thanks!
    we knew it makes about 160whp going in. not enough time to swap out parts to get back to 170whp.

also no time to tune the car, so it made only 140whp at max rpm...... down 30whp...... I can see more protest coming at next sprint race...

the car also tore off its splitter during test on Friday. so there is plenty more speed in aero...
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 06-24-2012 at 02:08 PM.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1882 times

Nice going (for the most).

It sounds like other than driver change and potentially more mechanical work during the race, the 3 hr enduros are closer to 3 hr sprint race with a driver change.
    Is it just my impression from reading?

Moti

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Nice going (for the most).

It sounds like other than driver change and potentially more mechanical work during the race, the 3 hr enduros are closer to 3 hr sprint race with a driver change.
    Is it just my impression from reading?

Moti
    people say that all the time. but it is pretty stressful to do 1.5 hours in the dark at Buttonwillow (other tracks are easier in the dark, because Buttonwillow is featureless), that's why Crusher was able to finish 4th overall although it is supposedly slower than 13 of the cars out there. why Rover finished 6th or 7th overall, despite in the slowest class...

for day, it is more of a sprint race. not so much for night and evening (transition). I kinda inherited P3 just by making less mistakes than others (and I made a LOT of mistakes). RJ is probably the team that makes the least mistakes. They are almost never the fastest, but always most consistent and error free (not completely, just less).
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1882 times

Gotcha.

Excuse the OT, but since you're at buttholewillow.. Did Jeremy run the Red Spec Z this weekend?
    If yes, how did it look out there?

Moti

Liked
    2282 times

Moti.
    I didn't see a spec Z yesterday. But I wasn't looking.

Emilio won PTC today by even a bigger margin and went faster than yesterday. Guess that Traqmate installed by NASA make the car to faster.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 06-24-2012 at 09:20 PM.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    299 times

lol predictive lap timing ftw. Great drive Emilio. I would love to see video of his race and see him pass cars left and right. Awesome job to everyone at 949Racing. Just racking up the wins.

Liked
    2282 times

Traqmate is to see acceleration rate. that in turn translate to power.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2242 times

The interesting thing is, if you're watching the 949Racing team work, you don't notice when they make mistakes. They don't make it look easy, but they are clearly prepared.

I also think they have nighttime lighting dialed in better than any team out there.

Liked
    70 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    The interesting thing is, if you're watching the 949Racing team work, you don't notice when they make mistakes. They don't make it look easy, but they are clearly prepared.

I also think they have nighttime lighting dialed in better than any team out there.
    Not on the chump car from last week LOL. It had cheapo ebay little spotlights that are worse than the stock NA headlights, and weren't even aimed correctly
    -Kevin M.

2010 Subaru WRX

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast