+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 50th anniversary mustang - IRS, shorter, and lighter

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by schrotacular View Post
    People love to forget that the SN99 IRS Mustangs were several hundred pounds heavier than their solid axle counter parts. I have a stock (terrible) 4-link with panhard bar in my Fox, but I'd still take it over that kind of weight. The 2000 Cobra R which was stripped down still weighed in at over 3500lbs, the 03-04 SVTs were even worse.
    The 4-link is pretty darn terrible. I also had to learn the hard way to not put polyurethane bushings in the upper and lower control arms. I'd love to ditch the uppers and put a torque arm and panhard bar or just a PM3L in there to get rid of the binding. Even with KW V3s, the binding bushings still hurt handling and ride quality substantially in my fox.

The Cobras IRS was never that popular or great and it was cheaper and easier to make the solid axle handle the turns better than the IRS. The 2015 car should/suppose-to be designed from conception for a IRS instead of the Cobra which had to be designed around the frame constraints and limitations of a solid-axle chassis. Hopefully it'll be decent...
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    36 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    The 4-link is pretty darn terrible. I also had to learn the hard way to not put polyurethane bushings in the upper and lower control arms. I'd love to ditch the uppers and put a torque arm and panhard bar or just a PM3L in there to get rid of the binding. Even with KW V3s, the binding bushings still hurt handling and ride quality substantially in my fox.

The Cobras IRS was never that popular or great and it was cheaper and easier to make the solid axle handle the turns better than the IRS. The 2015 car should/suppose-to be designed from conception for a IRS instead of the Cobra which had to be designed around the frame constraints and limitations of a solid-axle chassis. Hopefully it'll be decent...
    Yup, upper control arm bushing of choice for most people I know that race a 4-link is the highest mileage set from the wrecking yard. I've heard that if you theoretically replaced all the rear bushings with heim joints it would lock the rear suspension in place.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by schrotacular View Post
    Yup, upper control arm bushing of choice for most people I know that race a 4-link is the highest mileage set from the wrecking yard. I've heard that if you theoretically replaced all the rear bushings with heim joints it would lock the rear suspension in place.
    running heims in all 4 links don't lock them. Many people run them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2