+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By Red_5
  • 1 Post By Red_5
  • 1 Post By eflove
  • 2 Post By eflove
  • 1 Post By Bchappy
  • 4 Post By 0.o slow 1.6
  • 1 Post By Red_5

Thread: 5 speed vs 6 speed for nc miata.

  1. #1
    Senior Member 0.o slow 1.6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tustin
    Posts
    557
    Liked
    23 times

    Default 5 speed vs 6 speed for nc miata.

    Im thinking about purchasing a 09+ miata soon to be my dd/track car maybe even build it for scca str. I have a question whether buying the 6 speed with oem lsd is worth it. Iv searched around and heard good and bad things about it. I also heard the 6 speed gearing isn't that great unless you raise the stock rev limiter. The pricing between the 5 speed and 6 speed looks to be around a 3k difference. Anybody have any opinion on this?
    Last edited by 0.o slow 1.6; 03-14-2017 at 07:02 PM.
    Milkshake!!!!!!!!!!!!

  2. #2
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,126
    Liked
    666 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 0.o slow 1.6 View Post
    Im thinking about purchasing a 09+ miata soon to be my dd/track car maybe even build it for scca str. I have a question whether buying the 6 speed with oem lsd is worth it. Iv searched around and heard good and bad things about it. I also heard the 6 speed gearing isn't that great unless you raise the stock rev limiter. The pricing between the 5 speed and 6 speed looks to be around a 3k difference. Anybody have any opinion on this?
    I've shopped for NCs in the past but I'm far from an expert. I like the '09+ for the more reliable engine and better 6 speed manual transmission. One thing that I was told though was for a track car it's best to start with a base car with no stability control stuff because it never fully turns off and isn't easy to get rid of - also means a 5 speed.

    Cool thing about NCs are that you can tune the stock ECU, new engines are dirt cheap and plentiful especially if you go to the 2.5.

    I don't know what your budget is but have you seen the blue NC Goodwin was for sale? It's not cheap but seems like a lot of car, plus it's a nice shade of blue.
    ucfbrett and jpreston like this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    47
    Liked
    17 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    . One thing that I was told though was for a track car it's best to start with a base car with no stability control stuff because it never fully turns off and isn't easy to get rid of - also means a 5 speed.
    Anyone have more details about this? I've been casually shopping NCs for the same reasons as the OP. I test drove an NC for the first time a few weeks ago and really liked it. 2006 with 6speed. I want to drive another 6 speed car for comparison, but that car had the worst feeling shifter I've ever felt in any car. The 6 speeds are well known for not shifting as nice as the 5, but I'm convinced something had to be broken on that car.

  4. #4
    Senior Member 0.o slow 1.6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tustin
    Posts
    557
    Liked
    23 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    I've shopped for NCs in the past but I'm far from an expert. I like the '09+ for the more reliable engine and better 6 speed manual transmission. One thing that I was told though was for a track car it's best to start with a base car with no stability control stuff because it never fully turns off and isn't easy to get rid of - also means a 5 speed.

    Cool thing about NCs are that you can tune the stock ECU, new engines are dirt cheap and plentiful especially if you go to the 2.5.

    I don't know what your budget is but have you seen the blue NC Goodwin was for sale? It's not cheap but seems like a lot of car, plus it's a nice shade of blue.
    I'll look more into the traction control. This is the first time i heard of it. As for picking up a car that is already track ready, i don't want to go that route. Something about building your own car is more satisfying to me. Thanks for the suggestions RED.
    Milkshake!!!!!!!!!!!!

  5. #5
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,126
    Liked
    666 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 0.o slow 1.6 View Post
    I'll look more into the traction control. This is the first time i heard of it. As for picking up a car that is already track ready, i don't want to go that route. Something about building your own car is more satisfying to me. Thanks for the suggestions RED.
    Keep us posted on how things go. I personally really like the NC and I think there's lots of potential there that if it's being exploited, the info isn't being shared like it has been for the earlier cars.

    Have you seen forum member eflove's, I think that's his name, crazy NC build? It looks amazing. Maybe he'd know more about the stability control stuff.
    eflove likes this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  6. #6
    http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    511
    Liked
    334 times

    Default

    I really liked our 6 spd NC and thought even in stock form it would be a great track car but we needed room in the garage so it had to go. It handled well and power was good compared to a stock NB. The car is really popular now in SCCA T4 though it is not the 'car' for the class right now.

    Mark
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

    Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    70
    Liked
    52 times

    Default

    So I would go as far to say the 5 speed is garbage. When we ran them in the grand-am ST cars when we had too. The 200ish hp cars would kill a brand new trans every race weekend. The shafts would twist like a barber pole. Once the rules opened up to run the 6speed they would only need to be freshened up ever 3 or so races. The 6 speed is a much stronger trans. I run it in my car a little over 400hp. 6th gear is the only issue that that power. If you want long truble free running I would go 6 speed.
    Red_5 likes this.

  8. #8
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,126
    Liked
    666 times

    Default

    Any word on the stability control being a problem?

    If the price difference between a 5 and 6 speed is really $3k, I'm sure it's not just the transmission, maybe getting a base 5 speed car then swapping a 6 speed in could be the answer. You'll likely gut or replace many of the items that make the more expensive cars more expensive. I'm sure you'll replace suspension, get better wheels, get a better LSD. Just a thought.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    70
    Liked
    52 times

    Default

    I never messed much with the stability control besides the mx5 cup cars. I do recall needing the "right" ecu to flash to cup spec and get the stability control right. I built my car off a 08 GT with a 6 speed and diff. It had no issues with stability but you have to fully turn it off (2 levels of off). Other than that the race cars including mine are on full motec so traction control is a different game.

    Here is the most up to date info on my car if it helps you at all.
    https://www.facebook.com/TXTrackNC/
    Red_5 and jpreston like this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Bchappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    118
    Liked
    7 times

    Default

    Hi,

    I am currently racing a NC in Touring 4.

    I would t even mess with a 5 speed. It's pointless. Also I wouldn't run a car with the older motor if you have agressive pace. I blew my 06 motor up on the first race weekend. Trust me, spend the money on the right car. Or buy a good ex cup car if it's going to be towed to the racetrack.

    Thankfuy I have been doing chassis setup on a lot of these cars lately and have learned a lot of things.
    They are amazing cars but trust me when I say spend the money on the right car.

    You do not want a car with stability control. It's a pain in the ass.

    You need a 6 speed. Preferably 2009 and up, so you don't break a 3/4 shift fork. No questions.

    09 and before, you will lose a rod sooner or later if you are over 6800 rpm often.

    My car is a 2006 sport without DSC. However the transmission and motor has been updated to 2009+ specs.

    The car is more critical of setup then the older cars. If it's off you'll know it.

    Overall I love the car and will keep this one for a long time. After next year it will get a high compression 2.5 for a higher class.

    Trust me spend the time to find a car with these prerequisites, a lot less headache.
    image.jpg
    Red_5 likes this.

  11. #11
    Senior Member 0.o slow 1.6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tustin
    Posts
    557
    Liked
    23 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bchappy View Post
    Hi,



    You do not want a car with stability control. It's a pain in the ass.

    You need a 6 speed. Preferably 2009 and up, so you don't break a 3/4 shift fork. No questions.

    09 and before, you will lose a rod sooner or later if you are over 6800 rpm often.

    My car is a 2006 sport without DSC. However the transmission and motor has been updated to 2009+ specs.

    The car is more critical of setup then the older cars. If it's off you'll know it.

    Overall I love the car and will keep this one for a long time. After next year it will get a high compression 2.5 for a higher class.

    Trust me spend the time to find a car with these prerequisites, a lot less headache.
    Attachment 10822
    Can't the traction control be turned off completely or will it always be there no matter what? From what you are saying, it is better to get an 09+ 5 speed and then convert to 6 speed to avoid stability?
    Milkshake!!!!!!!!!!!!

  12. #12
    Senior Member 0.o slow 1.6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tustin
    Posts
    557
    Liked
    23 times

    Default



    Why hello there
    Milkshake!!!!!!!!!!!!

  13. #13
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,126
    Liked
    666 times

    Default

    ^^Looks too nice to take to the track!
    0.o slow 1.6 likes this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts