+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By ucfbrett
  • 4 Post By fatbillybob
  • 1 Post By anorexicpoodle

Thread: 360-degree videos

  1. #1
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,639
    Liked
    2356 times

    Default 360-degree videos

    Have you guys seen these? You move your mouse over the video and you can see anything in front of, beside and behind the car. They don't work on Safari as far as I can tell, but they do work in Chrome, Opera, Firefox and Explorer.

    If you watch them on an iPhone, you turn your body around and they change the view. It's bizarre.

    They could make things easy for race directors when determining who might be at fault in an incident.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ytxt1duNfU


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lP2RNNBQec

  2. #2
    Member wagnerov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Sunnyvale, CA USA
    Posts
    67
    Liked
    45 times

    Default

    I kind of like this guy's setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOopL1HItKo

    From what I read elsewhere it's just two 4k Kodak SP360's. The fisheye on some other 360 videos really bugs me worse than viewing a TV show with the wrong aspect ratio.

    I'd rather spend $1000 on a new set of tires though. The price on the technology will come down a ton in just a few years.

  3. #3
    JJ1
    JJ1 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    569
    Liked
    188 times

    Default

    That's really cool.

    Edit: So I watched it on the YouTube app on my iPad and it was awesome. But when I opened it on my iPhone it just showed the 360 view and wasn't interactive.
    Last edited by JJ1; 04-25-2016 at 10:17 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member fatbillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    by the beach
    Posts
    2,087
    Liked
    1720 times

    Default

    Cool now I can see my mistakes in 3D
    tq3z, ucfbrett, bawareca and 1 others like this.

  5. #5
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,639
    Liked
    2356 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wagnerov View Post
    I kind of like this guy's setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOopL1HItKo

    From what I read elsewhere it's just two 4k Kodak SP360's. The fisheye on some other 360 videos really bugs me worse than viewing a TV show with the wrong aspect ratio.

    I'd rather spend $1000 on a new set of tires though. The price on the technology will come down a ton in just a few years.
    That one is pretty well done, no dark zones at the top and bottom.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    266
    Liked
    158 times

    Default

    Yep! I want one of these for my car. The one ive been looking at is

    https://360fly.com/

    Surprisingly affordable at $400-ish considering what it can do. There are also some home-brew setups using 4 go pros in a 3d printed mount but the fisheye solution seems easiest to me (plus i have a strong distaste for go-pro).
    Red_5 likes this.

  7. #7
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,334
    Liked
    765 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle View Post
    Yep! I want one of these for my car. The one ive been looking at is

    https://360fly.com/

    Surprisingly affordable at $400-ish considering what it can do. There are also some home-brew setups using 4 go pros in a 3d printed mount but the fisheye solution seems easiest to me (plus i have a strong distaste for go-pro).
    Yeah right, relying on 4 GoPros to actually work at the same time. What could possibly go wrong?
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    157
    Liked
    14 times

    Default

    I've been watching for this since they announced it at CES. It was supposed to come out summer but it's been delayed to October supposedly due to the earthquake.

    Nikon KeyMission 360 | 4K Ultra HD 360-Degree Action Camera

  9. #9
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,639
    Liked
    2356 times

    Default

    I like that more manufacturers are getting into the action camera game.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    266
    Liked
    158 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    I like that more manufacturers are getting into the action camera game.
    Yep especially since at this rate GoPro wont be in it much longer:


+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts