+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: 350Z or Miata for the track?

Liked
    434 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    so what's all this I've heard about Jim Tway with a cheater 407whp LS6 ?
    he is going to kick all ur T1 butts last time I heard.....
    Yup, my friend's uncle's neighbor's brother works at GM. He pulled me a good one off the top shelf.
    Last edited by jimt; 03-15-2012 at 09:32 PM.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Liked
    984 times

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    and i just can't see myself racing in a lesser car. honestly, we were like spec miata, only for men.

rice on the outside, american v8 on the inside.
    Nice quotes. I think I'll use the spec miata one if you don't mind .

Quote Originally Posted by jimt View Post
    Already whining and we havent even run yet? You sound like a ST2 driver. I still have all the aero from the S2k. Keep it up and I just might velcro it to the vette and lap you at ACS.
    Hey porky, you better get a big brake upgrade on that 3600 lb boat you'll be driving. Maybe Chuck has some advice on where to put the 50 lb barbell weights .
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    4 times

One really important detail that I left out... I'm 6'3" 240 lbs. I sat in a Miata the other night, and an S2000 yesterday, and neither is gonna work. The 350Z is out, guys everywhere are saying not to do it. I looked at C4's but screw it IF I do this it looks like I'm gonna go balls to the wall and get a C5. Keep it stock this summer and run a few track days, then decide from there. I've owned 2 C5 vettes in the past and absolutely loved them. I'm shopping for the right deal. I have the money, I've just gotta make some compromises elsewhere that I wouldn't have to do with the Miata. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Liked
    58 times

Quote Originally Posted by jimt View Post
    You sound like a ST2 driver. I still have all the aero from the S2k. Keep it up and I just might velcro it to the vette and lap you at ACS.

PS. If anyone wants to make a serious run at ST2, I still have side skirts and front splitter/undertray.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2422 times

Quote Originally Posted by moespeeds View Post
    One really important detail that I left out... I'm 6'3" 240 lbs. I sat in a Miata the other night, and an S2000 yesterday, and neither is gonna work. The 350Z is out, guys everywhere are saying not to do it. I looked at C4's but screw it IF I do this it looks like I'm gonna go balls to the wall and get a C5. Keep it stock this summer and run a few track days, then decide from there. I've owned 2 C5 vettes in the past and absolutely loved them. I'm shopping for the right deal. I have the money, I've just gotta make some compromises elsewhere that I wouldn't have to do with the Miata. Thanks for all the advice guys.
    Stock seats in a Miata or S2000, yes, you won't fit. S2000 maybe with race seats. Even Miata will have a hard time fitting a 6-3 240# driver but I have seen it done. Remove OEM seat mounts and hammer the tunnel a bit. Best way to check is to remove seat entirely and sit on floor of either car. If you have room, then a custom seat can be set up for you.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    58 times

racing a C4 is even worse than the 350...

also, i'm 6' and i can't get the seat back to where i would like it in the Z.

matt has an awesome tracked prepped C5 for sale, and my full blown T1 car is for sale too... now is a great time to buy.

Liked
    1477 times

I looked at C4's but screw it IF I do this it looks like I'm gonna go balls to the wall and get a C5.
    Whatever you do, don't get a C4 as a track car. I made that mistake with a '96 Coupe with manual gearbox and the last model year only 330 hp LT4. The worst piece of $h!t on earth. Get a C5. There's a really nice FRC track day car for sale on Corvette Forum for $15K.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    58 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Oh oh. What happened?
    over a year ago... v-twin torque happened.

Liked
    4 times

I'd love to get that FRC C5 but I'm in NJ, he's in CA. Really long way. Anyone have an idea of what shipping would be?

Liked
    51 times

I am 6" 1" about 200lbs and could not get comfortable in a stock S2000 but sat in guys S2000 with a race seat and I found it fine.

Liked
    977 times

I'd love to get that FRC C5 but I'm in NJ, he's in CA. Really long way. Anyone have an idea of what shipping would be?
    Low end $800, high end $1900 for fully enclosed etc. Just shipped a car to NJ.

Liked
    4 times

Who'd you use? I just bought Matt's C5. Thanks guys!
    psychoazn likes this.

Liked
    58 times

niiice!

Liked
    1430 times

What was your original budget? $5K?

Seriously, I think you'll be quite happy with that car. Corvettes can do it all if you can keep up with the consumables. You might consider welding in a roll bar though if you track anywhere where cars turn over.

Liked
    977 times

Horseless Carriage. Not cheap, but they move Ferrari Challenge cars and McLarens. It was $1900.

Liked
    1477 times

I knew somebody would snap up that deal quickly. Congrats!
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2320 times

I need to get a commission. I was the one on miata.net that sent him to Trackhq........ to that Corvette thread.....
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2265 times

Emilio is right on point. I am 6'4" and I was 235ish when I built my car, and I fit. I "modified" the tunnel with a hammer and through-bolted a 16-inch-wide Kirkey to the floor, and I fit.

I have sat in Spec E30s and a few other cars, including a GT3 Cup car, and you know what? They're all cramped. It's kind of like scuba diving. All the gear is so cumbersome—until you get in the water. Then everything works. Same with me in a Miata. It feels small till I get on track. Then everything feels right. As long as you optimize the seating position, steering wheel placement, harness, nets and mirrors, you don't notice how small the interior is when your on track.

Liked
    2265 times

^^ Oh, well, nevermind.

Liked
    4 times

I wanted that Miata to work. When I raced motorcycles I raced Yamaha R6's. Small bike for a dude like me, and I was racing against horse jockey sized guys. They used to bust my balls because no matter what I was just too wide to pass in a turn. I dig the idea of something that handles well but is down on power. You gotta keep the momentum, nail your technique, and make up time on the brakes, but that C5 really does it for me. I'm sure I'll have a blast, I'm pretty stoked. Thanks again guys. Bellwilliam, I'd pay you a finders fee, but I am seriously broke now!
    psychoazn likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast