+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: 350Z or Miata for the track?

Liked
    103 times

Quote Originally Posted by psychoazn View Post
    Cuz you actually only use the brake... once per lap?
    never mind dude LOL. just saying dont knock it till you try it

It has one, but under normal operation the throttlebody stays WOT and valve lift controls air intake. System also is the primary cause of the oil getting cooked at high RPM.
    yes the VVEL system contributes to higher oil temps, but the car has NO oil cooling what so ever from the factory, so really any 300+ V6 on track that revs high is going to get high oil temps without a cooler. After i did my cooler, my temps are fine. The 2012 370s come with a oil to water cooler like your OEM s2k cooler. with a novice to mediocre driver, they can run track sessions. I bet alot of the fastest S2k challenge guys are running pretty high oil temps, you guys just dont know it

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    ^^^ William -

I hope you let me drive your X1/9 someday. It will be a trip down memory lane for me.

So is gnawing on dinosaur ribs....
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    So is gnawing on dinosaur ribs....
    Talk about the pot calling the kettle black . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2165 times

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black . . .
    Hey, pass the BBQ sauce please....

Liked
    1486 times

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    ... i can honestly say... don't do the Z.

I just bought one and am currently in the process of learning why it sucks.

It's a PIG. Like 3500+ with me sitting in it.

So why don't you sell that pig, bank the cash and your vette consumables would be paid for years! Then you can come back and race T1 with us? The front end of the grid has new fresh meat and is very competative. It is calling you!
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    So why don't you sell that pig, bank the cash and your vette consumables would be paid for years! Then you can come back and race T1 with us? The front end of the grid has new fresh meat and is very competative. It is calling you!

This is the best recommendation of the year!

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Guys it's obvious Ryan is in dire need of an intervention. He's lost it and cannot control his urge to buy inferior import cars and then spend thousands of dollars in an attempt to make them half as fast as his T1 vette. Next thing we know he'll be buying FWD cars and it will be too late! We must help him. If not us, who will?

My name is Bill and I'm an import-aholic.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    1477 times

I like Japanese sports cars, but a 370Z roadster did seem like a bit of an odd choice.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    977 times

Are you T1 girls going to come and race some inferior import cars in ST2 this year?

Liked
    41 times

Well, now that we have decided that you are buying an S2000, here's some basic advice. The only model years you should consider are the 2003 AP1, or the 2004 - 2005 AP2.

My vote goes for the AP1, because of the 2.0 liter motor with 9000 rpm rev limit, which is a hoot, and the lower price. The 2002 and before AP1 has something in the engine called the "banjo bolt" problem, that you want to avoid. Was fixed by Honda in the '03 model. You will need a bump steer kit (rear toe rods and front camber joints) or the '03 will be really twitchy, but that's a low cost mod. Also, be sure to get an oil catch can (cheap), because AP1 has a tendency to blow back oil into the exhaust system on really hard right turns, so that the oil burns in the exhaust and causes smoke. It's harmless, but a little ugly to corner workers. Catch can takes care of that.

'04 and '05 AP2. 8000 rpm rev limit. Some of the rear twitchiness dialed out by Honda. A little more expensive. 2.2 liter motor with a little more torque, but same hp. People say they are faster, but I have never driven one, so I can't say. After 2005, mechanical throttle replaced with drive by wire system, you don't want that. Plus the 2006 - on model years will be more expensive. And as Emilio once told me, "Honda dumbed everything down with the AP2."

If you really want to spend a lot, get a CR (factory hardtop and rear wing included, and some other goodies). Only available the last model year, I think. You have to live with drive by wire, but the other upgrades make it worth it. You will pay 3 times as much for a nice CR as a good '03 AP1.

One other thing about S2000. It is the ONLY street car that you can drive on track in the hottest weather of the summer without a big racing radiator. Honda did a great job of track testing the car when it was being designed, and the factory radiator is perfectly adequate. The only track car I have ever owned that I didn't have to put in a big radiator to avoid overheating.
    I disagree with DBW being a minus. The disadvantages of the DBW (throttle delay, rev hang) can be mitigated with a $700 (MSRP) FlashPro. Additionally, the FP is full featured, allowing you the functionality of a full stand-alone ECU, and then some. Every 06+ owners I've spoken to, myself included, agrees that the FP is the single best mod they've done to the car.

My recommendation is any year AP1 (replace banjo bolts if applicable, replace retainers with AP2 retainers), or a 06+ AP2. The 04/05 has all the cons of an AP2, but none of the pros.

Liked
    41 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    I bet alot of the fastest S2k challenge guys are running pretty high oil temps, you guys just dont know it
    I'm nowhere near the fastest, but I consistently hit around 260F on the hot summer days last year. I can get a G37/370Z to limp on the outlap on a cold day. :shrug:

To be fair, the s2k does have a oil-to-water cooler from the factory...

Totally not knocking on the miata... I was like when I saw burgoon set his PB not too long ago in person at WSIR.

Liked
    103 times

I'm nowhere near the fastest, but I consistently hit around 260F on the hot summer days last year. I can get a G37/370Z to limp on the outlap on a cold day. :shrug:

To be fair, the s2k does have a oil-to-water cooler from the factory...

Totally not knocking on the miata... I was like when I saw burgoon set his PB not too long ago in person at WSIR.
    yeah and 260 is hot LOL

yeah i JUST said 370 has NO oil cooling from the factory till the 2012 model, when it got a oil to water cooler like the s2k. if a S2k had a 3.7 liter motor making 330hp at the crank with no oil cooler im sure you couldnt get it more then one lap either LOL

my car with a aftermarket oil cooler, 210-220 all day lap after lap

i think even though you feel a s2k is underpowered, if you drove even a decently setup one on track you'd like it

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Are you T1 girls going to come and race some inferior import cars in ST2 this year?

If we get bored. Don't hold your breath....

Seriously though, I do need to race a couple of weekends if I am going to take my car to Mid-Ohio again this year. I will come and *****-slap you then. ;-) (That is T1 talk, the way men talk, but you would not know about that yet girlie boy. Don't worry, T1 puberty will kick in for you any time now I am sure.)

Oli

PS. If you can pee out of it, it is not a pubic hair.
    bellwilliam, hakeem and redtopz like this.

Liked
    981 times

I like Japanese sports cars, but a 370Z roadster did seem like a bit of an odd choice.
    I like them too. I'm just giving Ryan some **** . I used to own a series of awd turbo imports believe it or not. Mitsubishi Eclipse, Subaru WRX, and Audi TT turbo. Then I saw the light .

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    I plan to race at ACS in July and I think Flink is coming down too in GTS3. I'll also be racing ST2 at T-hill in April. Maybe I need a turbo in my vette so I can keep up with you!

I know one guy I can beat in ST2 even if he kicks our butts in T1 later this year with his new factory freak engine. Jim Tway in his 407 rwhp T1 vette would have to run at 3541 lbs in ST2 Got ballast?
    hakeem likes this.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    2283 times

so what's all this I've heard about Jim Tway with a cheater 407whp LS6 ?
    he is going to kick all ur T1 butts last time I heard.....
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2283 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    yeah and 260 is hot LOL
    I've ran 260F in oil temp all the time. it is on the high end (prefer sub 250F), but don't bother me much if it is just a short sprint race.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    58 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    so what's all this I've heard about Jim Tway with a cheater 407whp LS6 ?
    I can make a dyno say any number you want...

Liked
    58 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    Guys it's obvious Ryan is in dire need of an intervention. He's lost it and cannot control his urge to buy inferior import cars and then spend thousands of dollars in an attempt to make them half as fast as his T1 vette. Next thing we know he'll be buying FWD cars and it will be too late! We must help him. If not us, who will? .
    let get something straight weenies.. i bought a summer, street car... i did not 'replace' the race car. the benzo is nearing 90k miles and i totaled the Ducati.. i'm bored, but don't have the time it takes to race, nor do i have the money to have a mechanic support my car.

i had the best times setting records, winning plastic trophies and literally banging doors with oli going 120mph+ (on multiple occasions), but it cost me $2000/mo to do it... on top of that, utah permanently skewed my dollar to fun ratio at about $800/lap.

and i just can't see myself racing in a lesser car. honestly, we were like spec miata, only for men.

as for the Z choice... i learned to drive by pushing my pop's 1976 280z out of the garage and starting it down the street... it has a place in my heart... besides, what other car can you get that is mainly a street car, convertible, has some technology in it, runs 'decent' if you want to track it occasionally, and is priced to where you don't feel bad voiding the warranty on it by doing a manly motor swap? (don't say s2k.. i'm half asian, not full AZN).

also, the evo experience just made me laugh fondly for the year i had it.. spending like $2k to make 500+ hp, beating down unsuspecting 'fast' cars from any light in town, showing up to 'time attacks' with no stickers, the a/c on and the spare tire in the trunk and podium every time? that's enough glory for me these days.

but, i NEED to do the LSx swap though... it's already been dubbed the 'hairdresser car' by rylan and coffey..

signed,
    rice on the outside, american v8 on the inside.
    Last edited by ryan; 03-15-2012 at 08:00 PM.
    bellwilliam, pucsicsal and redtopz like this.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    ...and i totaled the Ducati....
    Oh oh. What happened?

Liked
    434 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    I like them too. I'm just giving Ryan some **** . I used to own a series of awd turbo imports believe it or not. Mitsubishi Eclipse, Subaru WRX, and Audi TT turbo. Then I saw the light .

I plan to race at ACS in July and I think Flink is coming down too in GTS3. I'll also be racing ST2 at T-hill in April. Maybe I need a turbo in my vette so I can keep up with you!

I know one guy I can beat in ST2 even if he kicks our butts in T1 later this year with his new factory freak engine. Jim Tway in his 407 rwhp T1 vette would have to run at 3541 lbs in ST2 Got ballast?
    Already whining and we havent even run yet? You sound like a ST2 driver. I still have all the aero from the S2k. Keep it up and I just might velcro it to the vette and lap you at ACS.
    psychoazn and redtopz like this.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast