+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: 350Z or Miata for the track?

Liked
    4 times

Default 350Z or Miata for the track?

Have 6 yrs roadracing motorcycles under my belt, quit for awhile, but just spent 2 weekends on the track in cars and I've got the bug again. On a tight budget to get started. I've owned 2 C5 vettes and a Viper though never drove either on the track. I'm looking at a Miata but I'm concerned about the lack of power. I'm sure it will be fun, but not sure how long it will hold my interest. I've got a line on a really cheap 350z with some minor crash damage. How are they on the track? I know it will be more expensive to run than the Miata. Never drove one. I'll start out with club days, but knowing myself I may end up going racing down the road. Any input is greatly appreciated. The car will be for the track only.

Liked
    1477 times

Honda S2000. Best bang for the buck track car by a country mile and more power than Miata. Don't get 350Z -- too expensive to make it fast, and too heavy.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    4 times

miata for money reasons... s2k, if money and ego arent issues....
    apparently, thats a car everyone thinks they can drive well, my track days would say otherwise.

Liked
    2265 times

<------- Here's your answer right here. The price of the car is the most attractive of any good track car you'll find and consumables are downright reasonable (15-inch tires!).

When the Miata's lack of power starts to bore you, get your racing license.

Liked
    1430 times

Quote Originally Posted by moespeeds View Post
    Have 6 yrs roadracing motorcycles under my belt, quit for awhile, but just spent 2 weekends on the track in cars and I've got the bug again. On a tight budget to get started. I've owned 2 C5 vettes and a Viper though never drove either on the track. I'm looking at a Miata but I'm concerned about the lack of power. I'm sure it will be fun, but not sure how long it will hold my interest. I've got a line on a really cheap 350z with some minor crash damage. How are they on the track? I know it will be more expensive to run than the Miata. Never drove one. I'll start out with club days, but knowing myself I may end up going racing down the road. Any input is greatly appreciated. The car will be for the track only.
    Same poeple that already answered you at miata.net are here as well. Don't expect much of a difference in the content.

Liked
    708 times

Welcome to TrackHQ.

You mentioned on Miata.net that it would be a track only car and possibly a race car. Since it will be track only and towed, buy a built Miata race car. There was a guy in MD advertising on this site what looked like the perfect car for you. If you pay a little more now on a built race car, with suspension, cage, seat, harness . . . you'll save money over doing it yourself.

If you don't want to race, I hear S2Ks are nice track cars. I'd stay away from the 350Z. Too many issues to make a good track car.

Edit: FS 1997 Miata Newly Built Track Day/ITA/PT Baltimore, MD

I know it's more than you were looking to spend but you could always make an offer.
    Last edited by Red_5; 03-14-2012 at 01:59 PM.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Honda S2000. Best bang for the buck track car by a country mile and more power than Miata. Don't get 350Z -- too expensive to make it fast, and too heavy.
    OP, perhaps you don't know me, but I speak from experience. I have owned the following track day and race cars in the last 9 years:

350Z
    B6 S4
    Evo VIII RS
    Miata (race car)
    C4 Corvette
    S2000
    NSX
    Formula Mazda (race car)

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    58 times

Having raced for a long time.. and never driven a miata.. and thinking they are a girly car... i can honestly say... don't do the Z.

I just bought one and am currently in the process of learning why it sucks.

#1. Non-adjustable suspension... That's right. You can adjust toe upfront, and very little camber in the back, and that's it. I just spent $2500 to be able to adjust ride height and camber.

#2. High-tech heads... They have some Uber-VTEC thing going on. I'm getting killer lag under 4k rpm in throttle response... I can imagine it would suck coming out of corners.

#3. Fuel Starvation... apparently they decided to put one fuel pick-up wayyyy on the passenger side of a saddle tank. go figure. i'm hearing they can choke with up to 3/4 of a tank of gas in deep right handers.

#4. It's a PIG. Like 3500+ with me sitting in it.

Having said all of this... i'll be at willow next weekend.. heh.

Liked
    2265 times

Edit: FS 1997 Miata Newly Built Track Day/ITA/PT Baltimore, MD

This car looks particularly well done.

Liked
    2320 times

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    #2. High-tech heads... They have some Uber-VTEC thing going on. I'm getting killer lag under 4k rpm in throttle response... I can imagine it would suck coming out of corners.
    so 370z don't have a throttle body ? they use cam timing for throttle ? anyone care to explain it ?
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    This car looks particularly well done.
    He's also asking top dollar, and you can add at least another $1,000 for shipping from East Coast.

Liked
    2320 times

Op is in east coast
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2422 times

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Having raced for a long time.. and never driven a miata..
    Next time we're at the track together, you can drive Crusher for a session. Basically handles like a low powered but much quicker responding and more agile Vette.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Op is in east coast
    How was I supposed to know that?

Liked
    660 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    so 370z don't have a throttle body ? they use cam timing for throttle ? anyone care to explain it ?
    Simple,bmw has it for 6-7 years now on the 4 cylinder engine.Engine output is controlled by the valve lift(variable),quantity of the fuel injected,spark timing and cam timing.
    That is what the last year F1 engines were-because of the exhaust flow under the car they had to blow exhaust gasses all the time.So no throttle,engine output is controlled in different manner.

Liked
    984 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Next time we're at the track together, you can drive Crusher for a session. Basically handles like a low powered but much quicker responding and more agile Vette.
    That's what Chuck says coming from spec miata to T1 corvette. He was up to speed in his vette in no time at all. I also thought driving our 84 mazda RX7 was similar in feel to my corvette, just slower in the straights.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    858 times

I am new to the track. I have a 2008 350Z. I am a pretty pathetic driver, but I really like tracking it. However, having tracked an S2000, my advise would be to get an S2000 or a miata. Some guys figure that the miata can actually cost more than the S2000 to go as fast, but the miata guys sure look real smiley after the end of their sessions.

The only downside that I can think of to either of these cars is that there are a lot of very talented drivers who track them, so you should not compare yourself to them (for quite awhile at least). Just have fun, improve, and enjoy either one.
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 03-14-2012 at 06:35 PM.
    Red_5 likes this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2422 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    That's what Chuck says coming from spec miata to T1 corvette. He was up to speed in his vette in no time at all. I also thought driving our 84 mazda RX7 was similar in feel to my corvette, just slower in the straights.
    If you think an FB RX7 feels like a Vette than your Vette's must handle like poo. Drive Crusher.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    984 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    If you think an FB RX7 feels like a Vette than your Vette's must handle like poo. Drive Crusher.
    Well it drives like a $500 corvette since it's our lemons car . It's a true POS, but it's fun to race and can outbrake most cars.

I'd love to drive Crusher sometime. I can tell from the vids it's a wicked little car.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    72 times

I'd also second the S2000 suggestion. I just picked up a 2004 S2K for a track day car and I'm extremely impressed in both how fast it is and how fun it is to drive with very little into it. I've also owned a 2007 350Z. I never tracked it, and it was a fun street car, but I would definitely recommend the S2K. You can't go wrong with a Miata, especially if you want to save some money.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast