+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 2017 mustang v6, $25k, 300hp, 3500lbs, independent f&r, limited slip

Liked
    763 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    Thanks for doing the leg work and posting a link.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    1495 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    I just saw the V6 will be dropped from the Mustang for '18, if you want a new one better get moving. Of course that also means that you might want to wait for '18 if you're thinking about the turbo 4, it will be the base engine and might cost less next year and will have an available 10 speed auto if you're into that kind of thing.
    Anyone want to go test drive a v6 mustang and a BRZ/FRS/86 and report back?

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Really? The brz frs now something86 is the dominant scca T4 chassis and it is cheap.
    Wins one race and its the "dominant" chassis? Since the Runoffs it lost its allowance for a header (but kept the 100lbs that came with it), and gained 50lbs if you used an alt LSD. In 2015 a Civic won T4, in 2014 an RX-8 had the pole and an NC MX-5 won. Seems like a class with a good mix of competitive cars.
    You might think they are crazy fast because they were beating up on your Vette at Homestead, but an RX-8 beat them all at Sebring.

Top ten at the 2016 Runoffs at Mid-Ohio included: FRS/BRZ, NC MX-5, RX-8, Civic Si, V6 Mustang (the 210hp version).

Ecoboost or current V6 Mustang are much quicker than any of the T4 cars.
    Last edited by RacerJason99; 01-17-2017 at 06:23 PM.

Liked
    150 times

I think the mustang will get an ecoboost, probably the 2.7l to replace the na v6 and be more competitive with the Lt camaro.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    1495 times

Quote Originally Posted by Silversprint View Post
    I think the mustang will get an ecoboost, probably the 2.7l to replace the na v6 and be more competitive with the Lt camaro.
    It already has an 2.3 ecoboost that makes 310hp... they could just drop the v6 and be fine.

Liked
    1495 times

Ok, so I test drove the manual v6 mustang.

cloth interior, limited slip, no spare, 17 alu wheels

MSRP $25.8k

Impressions: base interior is not too shabby at all. Armrests are soft, much of the rest of the door isnt.
    Clutch is crazy light. Brake pedal seems very responsive in the first inch without being grabby or braking too much. 6 speed shifter feel is softer than I'm used to. Little odd on 1-2 shift. Didn't want to antagonize the sales guy. Electric power steering can be adjusted for how heavy you want it to feel.
    Power isn't blowing me away, but from my corvette I lost 100hp and gained 300lbs of car + 1 salesperson.
    Seems to corner fairly flat, although wasn't cornering super hard.
    Shock valving seems a little odd. Firm on bumps but soft in pitch. So stiff high speed damping and soft low speed damping? Isn't that backwards?
    Car feels high, engine note is pretty quiet but sounds nice enough. Rear seat is for folks under 5'7

Seems like great value for money.

Liked
    1720 times

Ok. I drove the m235i, m240i, c7 vette, porsche cayman pdk tranny, mustang v8 gt. I'm thinking of something to replace my vette in a similar class but has up class competitiveness. The gt is only 32k with automatic and less with stick. I'm getting old. I want a bigger cabin and less having to crawl out of my racecar. The mustang is real attractive because of all the racer support and big aftermarket like vettes. I'm considering an automatic or pdk/dct shifter because they really can be faster and I am getting lazy rowing gears despite nailing left foot braking while heel toeing. Dct/pdk is definately faster. Automatics can sometimes be faster if programing is good.

The gt 6sp auto rev matches but is sort of slow. There are supposed to be tuners but so many people say they race and really aren't pushing it. Heck I don't even think I put it. The new 10spd auto is supposed to shift at dct speedes. The other real value is with all those gears you are supposed to be more in the powerband thus faster still. There is not supposed to be things like lugging as you acelerate and find 2nd too low and 3rd too tall. With 10spd. It is supposed to be like you have a 1.5 and 2.5 and 3.5 and 4.5 gear plus the other 6. Intriguing for sure and not a ton of money to talk a risk on. I think the ecoboost 4cyl is really going to shine here over the 6cyl because with more gears you can keep the turbo spooled up and on power. Comments??

Liked
    1495 times

I'm no turbo expert, but modern factory turbos are rarely super laggy. I don't think a 10 speed over a 6 speed is going to make a huge difference in turbo behavior. Turbos usually make lots of torque at low rpm, so they aren't usually very peaky.

Now if it was a centrifugal supercharger, hell yeah, bring on the 10 speed.

Liked
    1720 times

Yes I believe you are correct. But the 10spd IMO is really an issue of getting max MPG. The useable power and fast shifting is just a unintended consequence of going for max economy. The 6spd vs. 10spd may be only small percentage differences but if those add up to even 1/4 second a lap that's the difference between winning and losing. I suspect the gap will be much bigger. By the end of the year when the 10spd is in the mustang we won't have to speculate.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3