• 2 Post By emilio700

Thread: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport Z06

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2588 times

Default 2017 Corvette Grand Sport Z06

2017 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport Photos and Info – News – Car and Driver

460hp normally aspirated

Pulled the supercharger and added a healthy dose of trackday bro. I like it. Styling still too transformers busy for my tastes and I'm sure it's far heavier than the outgoing C6 Z07 option but it is a solid step in the right direction.
    Supposed to be a full second faster than the fastest C6Z around GM's Milford proving grounds. Not sure how much of that is due to the Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. The old car had more power and weighed less..
    Also, magnetic shocks have to go. They have a service life measured in minutes.

2017-chevrolet-corvette-grand-sport-101-876x535.jpg
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    53 times

Do they mean faster than the base C6 Z06 or the C6 Z07 packaged car? because that would be the better comparison.

Liked
    2356 times

So, this one is good for more than a couple of laps, bro?

Good riddance to the supercharger. I knew that thing would be trouble on a racetrack from the get-go.

Liked
    1495 times

Not a Z06, correct? Just a base car with a bunch of the z06 non-engine, non-frame parts, correct?

(dry sump exception)

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    817 times

I like it. But, 460HP from a 6.2 liter? I thought modern pushrods were doing better. Probably emissions handicap.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    6 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Not a Z06, correct? Just a base car with a bunch of the z06 non-engine, non-frame parts, correct?

(dry sump exception)
    Pretty much. Base car with Z06 body and Z07 parts package as an option.

The 2nd gen GM mag shocks are supposed to be better than the previous. Gen 1 GM mag shocks would over heat in the R8.

Should be a great car. Minus all that blue stuff in the interior. 500whp with some easy bolt ons and tune if you're in need of more horsepowers.

Liked
    114 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Also, magnetic shocks have to go. They have a service life measured in minutes.
    Learn something new every day!
    Looks like a solid platform.
    Less powah is better

Liked
    2588 times

Magnetorheological shocks are a bad idea that needs to go away. It's little iron filings in the oil. Apply a charge, they line up with the poles and make it harder for the oil to flow through the control orifices. Ever heard of extrude hone abrasive flow machining? That is roughly the same technology being used to remove fine detail in metal surfaces. You can play with filing sizes, shapes, viscosity, coatings, orifice shape and dimensions but in the end, you are ramming sharp little pieces of metal through your shocks at oh, 1000psi and 250°. No thanks.

The ACE valve we use in our top of the line Xida coilovers (made by Tractive in the Netherlands) uses a fast acting valve in the piston to actively change damping in infinite steps both in rebound and compression. Tiny company, better solution.

I wonder what the Z07 weighs. Probably a porker but it's a step in the right direction. Wish it wasn't so ugly.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    990 times

I agree, step in the right direction. This should have been the ZO6 with another 50 hp NA. And call the current "ZO6" the C7ZR1. No way should a ZO6 come with a supercharger! The looks of this car are growing on me. However, I was just thinking the other day that the best street car I have ever owned in my 30+ years of driving is my C6Z. 3000 lbs, 500 hp LS7, 6 speed, no nannies (pulled the steering position sensor to de-activate active handling), PSS tires, good brakes, lighter clutch. This car is awesome and you can get them in the $30k range now. The LS7 is intoxicating with it's power delivery. Makes my GT2 race car feel slow in comparison.
    emilio700 and bawareca like this.

Liked
    2588 times

Agree on every count Bill. I have not owned any other supercars but have driven many. The only thing that comes close to the total package appeal is the 458 but lacks the utility of the C6Z and isn't really faster despite costing 3x as much. The 458 has massive sex appeal but it lacks the visceral rush you get every time you uncork the LS7. It sill surprises me when I let a friend drive the C6Z they almost always say "this is the fastest car I have ever been in". It's funny when I warn them not to tromp the throttle below 75mph unless you are going dead straight and have both hands on the wheel. They think I'm kidding

I'm hoping I get the chance to drive the C7Z07 at some point.
    bawareca and Loose Caboose like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    990 times

Yeah, the last thing a C6Z needs is more power especially down low. Which makes the C7Z seem overkill to me. The one thing I highly recommend with a C6Z is removing the stock 70 lb clutch/flywheel and installing something like this at half the weight and lower MOI: Quarter Master® Optimum-SR

Makes the car much more fun to drive and the engine much more responsive to throttle both on and off (accel/decel).

Liked
    764 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jon H View Post
    Should be a great car. Minus all that blue stuff in the interior. 500whp with some easy bolt ons and tune if you're in need of more horsepowers.
    From 460 hp to 500 whp with some bolt-ins and a tune? What are these bolt-ons? I want them for my 6.2 truck.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    7 times

About time.
    The engineers said that the car was running half a second behind the ZR1 lap time at milford.
    This car had to come soon, the 1Le is on its way and that is going to tear the doors off a standard C7 Z51. The Corvette camp had to respond.
    I can't wait to get the car at the school.

Liked
    887 times

Quote Originally Posted by Bchappy View Post
    About time.
    . . . This car had to come soon, the 1Le is on its way and that is going to tear the doors off a standard C7 Z51 . .
    Maybe could do:

Seven Questions With Camaro Chief Engineer Al Oppenheiser On The 2017 1LE (Page 2)

capture-3.jpg

2017-chevrolet-camaro-50th-anniversary-edition-626x382.jpg
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 03-04-2016 at 08:12 PM.

Liked
    7 times

Trust me, it will. There is no doubt for me. Having driven the SS extensively the last couple months coupled with years of time in a Z51 on track it will deliver a huge blow to a Z51. Along with knowing what the engineers ran while developing the car

Liked
    7 times

Al is a true enthusiast car guy BTW. Had a long conversation with him while having the opportunity to be part of the Gen6 reveal in Detroit last year. Basically he said that the new car is built to destroy the competition while being able to run consistently at 10/10ths no matter the situation.
    That design team does not mess around. They almost have a race team mindset.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    590 times

I really like Magnetorheological dampers and feel its hard to go back.

Liked
    53 times

Speaking of mag shocks, someone has developed a way to calibrate the shocks. will be interesting to see the results of their effort.

Software | DSC Sport

Liked
    2588 times

Quote Originally Posted by RobertR1 View Post
    Speaking of mag shocks, someone has developed a way to calibrate the shocks. will be interesting to see the results of their effort.

Software | DSC Sport
    These are the guys we will be developing our ACE control system with for the ND. Very cool stuff.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

+ Reply to Thread