+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 2014 Z convention

Liked
    24 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    All the mods I've done to my 370 are things I've done on other cars or would on any car that sees track use. Even though my focus was cheaper new, it cost me waaaaay more to modify lol. The money I've put in my Z is cooling, coilovers, wheels, brake pads, LSD, some power bolt ons and some safety. Only thing that was 370 specific was my fuel starve kit, which was worth every penny
    Oh yeah that fuel starve issue with 370Z is crazy. Seems to me they could have engineered that out after first year but that does take a fairly simple aftermarket mod for serious track junkie . I just went fuel cell with 4 scavenger pumps.

Thing that I love with 370Z is stuff that usually wears out at the track is pretty cheap on and brake life is excellent. Trannies are bullet proof, rear ends and drive shafts are tough too. I havent had any issue with my stock wheel bearings yet and they are stock from 2010!

I figure I have at least another season or two on transmission. I love the fact I can order brand new stock six speed tranny from Nissan Mostorsports for around $1500. I have seen these transmissions opened up and inspected after full season of grand am racing and they still look new.

Liked
    103 times

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster View Post

Oh yeah that fuel starve issue with 370Z is crazy. Seems to me they could have engineered that out after first year but that does take a fairly simple aftermarket mod for serious track junkie . I just went fuel cell with 4 scavenger pumps.

Thing that I love with 370Z is stuff that usually wears out at the track is pretty cheap on and brake life is excellent. Trannies are bullet proof, rear ends and drive shafts are tough too. I havent had any issue with my stock wheel bearings yet and they are stock from 2010!

I figure I have at least another season or two on transmission. I love the fact I can order brand new stock six speed tranny from Nissan Mostorsports for around $1500. I have seen these transmissions opened up and inspected after full season of grand am racing and they still look new.
    yeah the fuel starve sucks, but alot of other performance oriented cars suffer from a similar issue, Evo X, Lotus for example.
    Yeah, nothing thus far on my car is wearing irregular or at an excessive speed. im on my orignal wheel bearings too at 70k miles.
    the trans and rear end should last a long time with NA power levels, its the drag forced induction guys who break things LOL

Liked
    439 times

Loaded for the activities tomorrow. The name of this shot could be; The Beauty and the Beast LOL

beauty-beast.jpg
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    855 times

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster View Post
    As long as you get oil temps controlled and brakes sorted they are fairly bullet proof cars that don't cost much to maintain.
    What oil cooler system did you choose?

Liked
    855 times

All the mods I've done to my 370 are things I've done on other cars or would on any car that sees track use. Even though my focus was cheaper new, it cost me waaaaay more to modify lol. The money I've put in my Z is cooling, coilovers, wheels, brake pads, LSD, some power bolt ons and some safety. Only thing that was 370 specific was my fuel starve kit, which was worth every penny
    What oil cooler did you choose?

Liked
    103 times

Z master uses a huge trunk mounted cooler core.
    Used to be on the Nismo race cooler, now I'm on the AE performance oil cooler
    Loose Caboose likes this.

Liked
    855 times

Thanks.

Much appreciated.

Liked
    103 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    Thanks.

Much appreciated.

do you still have your 350? what cooler are you on?

Liked
    855 times

No cooler at all.

My water temps have been pretty good, so I have put this off.

Liked
    1477 times

No cooler at all.

My water temps have been pretty good, so I have put this off.
    Uumm . . . I think they are talking about OIL coolers.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    24 times

What oil cooler did you choose?
    Big Setrab. I used my old street oil cooler for dif. on left of this pic. Have a big fan on oil cooler and take air from a duct on side of the car. Im considering inline water oil cooler as well. Oil gets up to 230 degrees in 20 minute sessions. Water was around 200.

image_352.jpg

image_136.jpg
    Last edited by Zmaster; 08-14-2014 at 12:58 PM.

Liked
    855 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Uumm . . . I think they are talking about OIL coolers.
    They are, but I am assuming (perhaps wrongly) that oil temps should not be a problem if water temps are o.k.

Liked
    103 times

They are, but I am assuming (perhaps wrongly) that oil temps should not be a problem if water temps are o.k.
    not exacty, unless you have a water temp and a oil temp gauge saying other wise. VQ's tend to put more heat in there oil then there water. even if your water is ok, you oil temps could be floating around 240-260. What engine do you have in your Z?

Liked
    24 times

Yeah my water temps are way low. They tend to average 190. Oil gets very hot in these motors and expereinced guys who build the VQ race motors say dont go over 240 or expect earlier failure than planned operational hours. I think I may have one of higher compression VQ's out there as mine is 13.6 to 1. I like it as I dont have to run motor to crazy RPM's to make power. My first time out on track I was short shifting and not shifting down in places I usually would. Not that it was faster but for track day no sense in running motor into ground and it was nice and torquey.

Liked
    855 times

not exacty, unless you have a water temp and a oil temp gauge saying other wise. VQ's tend to put more heat in there oil then there water. even if your water is ok, you oil temps could be floating around 240-260. What engine do you have in your Z?
    It is a 2008 350Z with a VQ35HR.

My oil pressure also seems to be o.k., but this may also not be a good proxy for oil temp.

Liked
    103 times

It is a 2008 350Z with a VQ35HR.

My oil pressure also seems to be o.k., but this may also not be a good proxy for oil temp.
    Yeah neither the oil pressure more water temp is a accurate indicator of the oil temp

Liked
    855 times

Thanks again.

Looks like an oil temp gauge is in order.

Liked
    103 times

Thanks again.

Looks like an oil temp gauge is in order.
    HR motor's have high oil temps similar to VQ37, hopefully your car had a factory oil to water cooler. Regardless though I feel you should do a aftermarket air to oil cooler kit and a gauge at the same time

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2