+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 2014 Z convention

Liked
    439 times

Default 2014 Z convention

Every year the Datsun/Nissan Z car followers have a national convention. I attended one in San Antonio, TX a few years ago and had a cool time.

This years convention is in San Diego and is this coming week. I am told the highest number of people ever have registered to attend.

More details here. ZCON 2014

I will be bringing 2 early 240's for the car show on Sat at Qualcom, and hopefully be bringing my yet to be completed LS1 swapped 280Z for the auto-cross as well. Also hoping to get to attend the tour of the Nissan design center, which is here local, but not easy to get in to.

Come on down...

craZee
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post
    Every year the Datsun/Nissan Z car followers have a national convention. I attended one in San Antonio, TX a few years ago and had a cool time.

This years convention is in San Diego and is this coming week. I am told the highest number of people ever have registered to attend.

More details here. ZCON 2014

I will be bringing 2 early 240's for the car show on Sat at Qualcom, and hopefully be bringing my yet to be completed LS1 swapped 280Z for the auto-cross as well. Also hoping to get to attend the tour of the Nissan design center, which is here local, but not easy to get in to.

Come on down...

craZee
    This is one of the few cars in history that got WORSE with every later iteration. The 240Z was the best of the bunch. The 280Z was horrible. I owned an early 350Z. OK car, I guess, but it had its problems.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    103 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    This is one of the few cars in history that got WORSE with every later iteration. The 240Z was the best of the bunch. The 280Z was horrible. I owned an early 350Z. OK car, I guess, but it had its problems.
    370 was an improvement over 350

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    370 was an improvement over 350
    Except for those horrid headlights and taillights, the weird front grille smile, and the broken look of the c-pillars . . . In any event, the 350Z Coupe is a better looking car.

Of course that is all cosmetic, and I assume that a 370Z is a better performance car than a 350Z. What is the curb weight of a 370Z?
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 08-02-2014 at 10:47 PM.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    103 times

Except for those horrid headlights and taillights, the weird front grille smile, and the broken look of the c-pillars . . . In any event, the 350Z Coupe is a better looking car.

Of course that is all cosmetic, and I assume that a 370Z is a better performance car than a 350Z. What is the curb weight of a 370Z?
    Haha fair enough, styling is for sure in the eye of the beholder. But yes I was referring to performance as the improvement over 350.
    When my car was stock, full 19 gallon tank and spare weighed in at 3280lbs.
    I took a little weight out with lighter exhaust and the race seat, but got a bit back with the roll bar. But since I did the fuel starve kit, I'm able to track will minimal fuel. So in track day trim, no spare and 1/4 tank I'm around 3150. I'd be glad to let you take it out for a session, but my seat is very small since I'm a slim guy. Might be a squeeze

Liked
    188 times

240Z > 300Z Twin Turbo > 370Z > 350Z

Liked
    439 times

I agree that the early cars are the best, although we had a 350-Z and it was a good car.

Here are the 2 that my wife and I will be taking to the event.

zs-grass.jpg

craZee
    tq3z and markn like this.

Liked
    1486 times

I like the Zs and don't see the 240 as best. I think of 240 as less robust and the injected late 70's 280 best of bred. Then they got heavy. The 280 was a durable robust car with modern features, great AC, good power and handling with much of thes essence of the original 240. I owned both and brother still owns the 240 in classic Mexican orange. I put the most miles on the 280 including a few cross country trips. The 280 was an amazing car for its time.

Liked
    103 times

I totally want a older S30 Z to do a modern motor swap into, make it a clean street car for the weekends

Liked
    2243 times

My high school sweetheart's dad had a 260Z he let me drive from time to time. My favorite color combo, white with black interior. What a fun car. Injected. Ran like a watch.

Most Japanese cars don't appreciate in value, but the prices on the early Z's are on the uptick, which is kind of nice to see.

Liked
    16 times

Dam it, first year it's semi close and I'm out of country.

Liked
    464 times

I had a 70 240. But it got lost in all my 510s (had 15 at one time). Though in stock form, it wasn't a killer. With just minor head work, cam full exhaust and carbs. It was something that would put a smile on your face.

As the ZX mushy lux came out. The turbo wasn't bad as long as you did shocks and springs. In fact, handled very well for its time.

Then the V6 300s came. Same mushy ride. But again shocks and spings help, a lot!

The 2nd gen 300s went to far. Great handling and with the turbo, power was good. But priced them selfs out of the market and had some under hood heat issues.

I was happy with the 350 and 370. But still, for the street you may as well get some girly getters with V8 sound and power for about the same price
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    439 times

I totally want a older S30 Z to do a modern motor swap into, make it a clean street car for the weekends
    Like this?

240z-ls1.jpg

Liked
    103 times

Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post
    Like this?

Attachment 7647
    I was thinking more along the lines of that motor in my 370 and my 370 motor in a old Z lol

Liked
    35 times

S30 always have been my favorite some of the later cars still look cool though...

z.jpg

This one was in process of restoration until the owner passed; 1990 300ZX TT 54K original miles. Full re-spray, 1997 JDM front bumper (corner light missing in the picture took 2 months to chase down). Itís for sale and comes with parts from two parted cars; this guy was organized about 10 tubs of cataloged parts.

I've still got S30 parts form the two we used to have....every time I think they're gone more appear out of nowhere

Liked
    24 times

I'm sort of partial to 370Z. Overall improvement from 350z especially in suspension department. I also fit better in 370Z. The z34 motor is decent but I'm not a fan of the 370z heads. I back dated to 350z heads on the race car.

I have owned 280 ZX and 350z. Both fun cars.

image_464.jpg

Liked
    1477 times

One thing for sure. 350Z and 370Z are very expensive cars to Mod . . .

Liked
    103 times

One thing for sure. 350Z and 370Z are very expensive cars to Mod . . .
    i dont find my Z any more expensive to mod then other cars

Liked
    24 times

i dont find my Z any more expensive to mod then other cars
    I agree pretty inexpensive and very reliable. I have had same front brake rotors and pads for 3 years! And they still have tons of life left. I'm on original stock rear brakes and they still have lots o life as well. I picked up used 350z heads for $500 to build race motor, used nissan frontier 4.0 crank for $250. Nissan stuff is pretty dirt cheap in my opinion.

I raced car with stock motor and bolt on suspension for 3 years and I'm still on shocks and springs I originally upgraded to back then. As long as you get oil temps controlled and brakes sorted they are fairly bullet proof cars that don't cost much to maintain.

Liked
    103 times

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster View Post
    I agree pretty inexpensive and very reliable. I have had same front brake rotors and pads for 3 years! And they still have tons of life left. I'm on original stock rear brakes and they still have lots o life as well. I picked up used 350z heads for $500 to build race motor, used nissan frontier 4.0 crank for $250. Nissan stuff is pretty dirt cheap in my opinion.

I raced car with stock motor and bolt on suspension for 3 years and I'm still on shocks and springs I originally upgraded to back then. As long as you get oil temps controlled and brakes sorted they are fairly bullet proof cars that don't cost much to maintain.
    All the mods I've done to my 370 are things I've done on other cars or would on any car that sees track use. Even though my focus was cheaper new, it cost me waaaaay more to modify lol. The money I've put in my Z is cooling, coilovers, wheels, brake pads, LSD, some power bolt ons and some safety. Only thing that was 370 specific was my fuel starve kit, which was worth every penny

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast