+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Camaro ZL1 to be a track monster

Liked
    6 times

Default 2012 Camaro ZL1 to be a track monster...N-ring times are out

2012 Chevy Camaro ZL1 Makes 580 Horsepower - Motor Trend

MILFORD, MICHIGAN – Chevrolet is staging one of those long, bit-by-bit rollouts of its new King of the Hill Camaro ZL1, and the latest tidbits are power and torque ratings. The 2012 Chevy Camaro ZL1 will make 580 horsepower at 6000 rpm and 556 lb-ft of torque at 4200 rpm. That trumps Ford’s Shelby GT500, rated 550 horsepower and 510 foot-pound of torque.

Read more: 2012 Chevy Camaro ZL1 Makes 580 Horsepower - Motor Trend
    From GM Inside News:

Here are 10 things you need to know about the ZL1 grom GMinsidenews. Looks like it weighs 4,200lbs but the power to weight is better than some nice cars.

10.) POWAH! The ZL1's SAE-certified horsepower is indeed north of 570 hp. It is in fact 580 @ 6,000 rpm.

9.) TORRRRQUE! The ZL1's torque figure is 556 lb-ft @4200 rpm, 47 more than the Lamborghini Aventador.

8.) POWAH TO WEIGHT! Its got a power-to-weight of 7.24 pounds per horsepower — less than the Nissan GT-R's and Porsche 911 GTS's figures.

7.) NEW TECH! It's the first car to get Delphi's next-generation adaptive damping system.

6.) TRACK READY FOR REAL! Unlike the Mustang GT500, the ZL1 will be track-ready right from the dealership.

5.) ELECTRIC POWER STEERING, WAIT WHAT? The ZL1 will have electric power steering.

4.) MANUAL DEXTERITY! The Tremec TR6060 manual transmission's been shored up to handle the extra torque, with a stronger output shaft.

3.) AUTOTRAGICAL DEXTERITY! Engineers insist the ZL1's build of GM's standard-issue Hydramatic CL90 automatic is just as track-worthy as the manual.

2.) SO TIRE-SOME! Michelin devised for the ZL1 (and the Corvette line) a new, street legal, driveway-to-track tire — the Pilot Sport Cup Zero Pressure (ZP).

1.) NACA DUCTS! It has NACA ducts in the undertray to help cool the transmission.
    Looking forward to test driving one...and hopefully having them update the hideous dash to keep up with Ford
    Last edited by SIK02SS; 10-05-2011 at 03:49 PM.
    --Chris Ronson Jr--
    www.ronsonracing.com

T1 Corvette roller for sale

Liked
    103 times

im curious as to the lap times this thing will put down, because the suspension geo isnt anything special, but i guess the grand am teams with them have got them to turn decent, but in the end its still a heavy car

Liked
    142 times

I want to see how it stacks up against a the Roush RS3.
    Last edited by Johnny_Se7en; 09-09-2011 at 03:00 PM.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2395 times

4200 lbs

Pathetic
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    103 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    4200 lbs

Pathetic
    to think a new 5.0 mustang is 700lbs ligther, and a 1.6 miata is 1 ton lighter

Liked
    2395 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    to think a new 5.0 mustang is 700lbs ligther, and a 1.6 miata is 1 ton lighter
    Yup.

The Boss 302 is 3600#, makes about 400whp, 8.1 lbs per hp and will probably smoke the ZL1 on a track with you know, turns in it. The 302 is also about $40K, the ZL1 will probably run about $47K.

I was just talking to some friends the other day about a 69 ZL1 Camaro Z28 I saw at the Otis Chandler museum years ago. All stock looking but with full of exoctic COPO aluminum parts and of
    course the all aluminum 427 500hp engine. 3300 lbs of real deal and my dream muscle car if I ever won the lottery. To see GM's 4200 lb wooly mammoth now is just, depressing. Ford got it right.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    641 times

Yup.

.................. Ford got it right.
    Yup,looks like Ford got it right this time around.....again.And those GM inside news may be sensational for some 12 yrs old,but for any gearhead it sounds like a Jay Leno joke

Liked
    546 times

I wish it didn't weigh 4200 pounds, but, OTOH, I don't car that much for a street car. For me, it's all about fun. Give me mean looks and lots of POWAAAAAAAAAAH and I end up with a smile on my face.

And on looks and meanness, to me, the Camaro wins hands-down (as much as I wish it didn't).

And will Ford FINALLY put IRS in the back of the high end models? I can understand the stick axle in the back of the secretary's V6, but really, for the Boss 302 I think the profit margin's gotta have room in it for IRS.

Steve

Liked
    641 times

The fun factor is definitely there,but the way they try to advertise it as a track champion out of the box may not be very correct.IRS is not everything.There is a great comparo in the new Car ans Driver,370Z have lost a bunch of points because of the multilink suspension(not to mention fading brakes and skyhigh oil temps after just 1 lap).

Liked
    103 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    I wish it didn't weigh 4200 pounds, but, OTOH, I don't car that much for a street car. For me, it's all about fun. Give me mean looks and lots of POWAAAAAAAAAAH and I end up with a smile on my face.

And on looks and meanness, to me, the Camaro wins hands-down (as much as I wish it didn't).

And will Ford FINALLY put IRS in the back of the high end models? I can understand the stick axle in the back of the secretary's V6, but really, for the Boss 302 I think the profit margin's gotta have room in it for IRS.

Steve
    yeah but even without IRS the Boss 302 lays down the lap times. getting live axles to turn is not a mystery, its just a different style of suspension tuning. And the fact of the matter is, by keeping the live axle, Ford is satisfying a huge mustang market following=drag racing. But that they have the chassis setup to turn too its giving people like us what we want
    Last edited by GreyFocus; 09-10-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Liked
    546 times

I agree that the live axle can be managed especially at the track. But I've always felt it's a ride quality disadvantage on the street.

Of course, it's not like I'm likely to be in the market for an expensive car for a while

Steve

Liked
    6 times

Yup.

The Boss 302 is 3600#, makes about 400whp, 8.1 lbs per hp and will probably smoke the ZL1 on a track with you know, turns in it. The 302 is also about $40K, the ZL1 will probably run about $47K.

I was just talking to some friends the other day about a 69 ZL1 Camaro Z28 I saw at the Otis Chandler museum years ago. All stock looking but with full of exoctic COPO aluminum parts and of
    course the all aluminum 427 500hp engine. 3300 lbs of real deal and my dream muscle car if I ever won the lottery. To see GM's 4200 lb wooly mammoth now is just, depressing. Ford got it right.
    they're aiming at the GT500, not the 302. Price will be in line with the GT500 and it only weighs ~400 more lbs. theyre saying 285 front and 305 rear tires and will have a suspension package to back it all up. Unfortunately the weight comes with the times, CAFE standards always increasing and crash standards increasing. Look at a new M3 compared to just a dew years ago..they're huge!
    --Chris Ronson Jr--
    www.ronsonracing.com

Liked
    2395 times

Quote Originally Posted by SIK02SS View Post
    they're aiming at the GT500, not the 302. Price will be in line with the GT500 and it only weighs ~400 more lbs. theyre saying 285 front and 305 rear tires and will have a suspension package to back it all up. Unfortunately the weight comes with the times, CAFE standards always increasing and crash standards increasing. Look at a new M3 compared to just a dew years ago..they're huge!
    Crash standards maybe. For CAFE, they should be lighter not heavier. I guess the guys they're marketing to will lap up the hype and scramble to put deposits down.

It just bugs me because the original ZL1 was such an "outside of the box" concept and execution. The very core of the original COPO and ZL1 design was cutting edge weight savings. This boat doesn't do the hallowed ZL1 name justice. Ford's bomber Mustang was the GT500. The L88 was a closer match to what this new car is but that name doesn't hold the cache of ZL1. Smart marketing anyways.

How cool would a high revving 425bhp all aluminum small block, 3400lb Camaro track package with say a carbon hood and extensive option deletes be? I would almost want one
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by SIK02SS View Post
    Unfortunately the weight comes with the times, CAFE standards always increasing and crash standards increasing. Look at a new M3 compared to just a dew years ago..they're huge!
    CAFE standards haven't budged in years until recently and as Emilio said, fuel efficiency will come with less weight not more. Crazy to think CAFE standards could create cars that are more fun to drive with less weight.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    546 times

I think weight is a second order effect as far as CAFE goes; that is, the real advantage lower weight has is that it allows you to put in a smaller, less powerful engine and still move it quickly. I'd daresay that as a CAFE calculation goes, aero and low rolling resistance tires are a bigger factor.

Honda is bringing back the Civic HF this year, which appears at a first glance to be a Civic Hybrid without the Hybrid -- keeping all the nifty parts and pieces but no electric engine or batteries. Personally, I think they should have gone a step farther and gone to a smaller, less powerful engine than the 138hp standard Civic engine. But I do think it's a reflection of what's to come.

Steve

Liked
    6 times

Crash standards maybe. For CAFE, they should be lighter not heavier. I guess the guys they're marketing to will lap up the hype and scramble to put deposits down.

It just bugs me because the original ZL1 was such an "outside of the box" concept and execution. The very core of the original COPO and ZL1 design was cutting edge weight savings. This boat doesn't do the hallowed ZL1 name justice. Ford's bomber Mustang was the GT500. The L88 was a closer match to what this new car is but that name doesn't hold the cache of ZL1. Smart marketing anyways.

How cool would a high revving 425bhp all aluminum small block, 3400lb Camaro track package with say a carbon hood and extensive option deletes be? I would almost want one
    I understand now..and in that sense I do agree. 4200 IS a lot of weight no matter how you look at it. Things like the adaptive dampening and electric power steering are a step in the right direction for the ZL1 name IMO..20" wheels can go in lieu of proper 18" wheels..and I really don't know where all that weight is in these cars (even the v6 and SS cars). Unfortuantely CAFE and crash standards go hand in hand in todays world..crash standards increase, therefore vehicle weight increases, yet they have to make the cars more efficient (which I'm not necessarily against improving technology); but this is all a bit backwards.

I'm still interested to see official tests (supposedly GM has been testing it directly against a 2011 GT500 and is aiming to beat it) results and price point.....and change the hideous dash
    --Chris Ronson Jr--
    www.ronsonracing.com

Liked
    103 times

i dont understand why GM cant make the maro any lighter, the Mustang is still 3500-3600 lbs, GM keeps there vette's light even with modern safety, nissan made the 370 lighter and more powerful while still having a million air bags. Your right the 20's gotta go, but the fact of the matter is they design the body around big rims to satisfy a market, which is the people who want to run even bigger then 20 inch rims.... LOL

Liked
    6 times

It's competitor the GT500 is 3,820; but yes, still lighter

some more marketing:

--Chris Ronson Jr--
    www.ronsonracing.com

Liked
    103 times

like i said, i want to be proven wrong, i want to see it do well, just everything they are doing in regards to development and testing is, in the end, what its gunna take to get a 4200lb, macpherson strut front car to not handle embarrassingly. im wanna see the lap times it throughs, i know the current GT500 has some solid lap times at VIR and streets from major magazine test

Liked
    142 times

I don't think too many of these ZL1's will make it to a road course, the people that will most likely buy it will be the Cars & Coffee type [show and shine] and 1320 freaks. If they wanted a track monster all they need to do is De-content the SS, give it a track worthy suspension, R-comp tires, and brakes. Then to give it the feel
    of the racing Chevys of the past offer the hardcore racing parts through GM Performance Parts. To state it simply make the price slightly more then the base V8 model and lighter.

My 2˘
    Last edited by Johnny_Se7en; 09-10-2011 at 08:23 PM.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast