Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Mustang GT vs. E92 M3

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX View Post
    I drive an evo. -_-
    so do i.

and he's absolutely right...

and i totally agree with the mustang and m3 not being in the same league perception wise. maybe the stang can hold it's own on the track but the guys shopping for their next m3 type car is not dropping by the ford dealer.

Liked
    2282 times

I would love to see a fast mustang on track. Hate to stereotype, but there are reasons why we only see certain models out on track.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    103 times

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    so do i.

and he's absolutely right...

and i totally agree with the mustang and m3 not being in the same league perception wise. maybe the stang can hold it's own on the track but the guys shopping for their next m3 type car is not dropping by the ford dealer.
    that is true

but in my case, a mustang might as well be a bmw luxery wise compared to what im used to driving everyday

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    I would love to see a fast mustang on track. Hate to stereotype, but there are reasons why we only see certain models out on track.
    i would love to try and break that stereotype

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Reading comprehension is just fine, it's skepticism about your handling claims.

Also not sure we both define handling the same way:
    James May Helps Define Handling

In order to fully buy in to what you are saying, I'd need to see lap times and then also see how the cars felt to drive.

And I still think that kicking this off with an M3 and a mustang was silly. Why don't we look at a neon SRT4 and an RX-8? They have similar stats, the dodge is quite a bit cheaper, but the dodge is a WWD neon and the RX8 is RWD sports car (arguably).
    Handling: Performance through a corner. Or how about "Cornering ability".

It's Silly Nissan ever compared the GTR to the infamous 911 Turbo

It seems that car models on track tend to be regional (except SM which are everywhere). Go to club races in the south east, the south, etc... and there are a lot more Mustangs in club racing (American Iron amongst other classes). I agree there aren't many Mustangs raced/tracked in the southwest.

Yes Mustangs are not known for their cornering/handling abilities and it would be nice to start breaking that stereotype.

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Handling: Performance through a corner. Or how about "Cornering ability".

It's Silly Nissan ever compared the GTR to the infamous 911 Turbo
    And we're calling you out on comparing the M3 and the mustang.

We're on different pages on what handling means. Mine includes steering and pedal feedback, turn-in, curb manners, and all that fuzzy stuff.

One more think about the cornering and live rear axle praise you have been heaping on your borrowed mustangs, how much are your shocks worth? $5K? $10K? More? It's probably a safe bet that the stock shocks on the M3 are a smidge better built and better tuned than the stock mustang.

Also, if we are talking about track potential of the cars it's still kind of a B.S. comparison. First thing a racer will do is yank out all the luxury of a luxury car to save weight. Then after stripped weight you're comparing, what, how much room in the wheel wells the cars have for wide tires? It's kind of silly. The only person to seriously track/race a modern M3 has enough money to not care about writing it off, and probably enough money to not care about the price difference all that much.

I am not at all a status snob or any of that, and I probably would buy a new mustang (not bloodly likely) before a new M3 (never), but when you buy a porsche over a corvette, or a BMW over a taurus, or RWD over FWD, even though you what you get for what you pay steadily gets worse as you go upmarket, that money is almost definitely getting you a better car.
    Last edited by robburgoon; 08-20-2010 at 09:04 AM.

Liked
    545 times

Based on the race results this year, it would seem that a good Mustang can indeed run right with an M3 on the track. Or am I missing something other than the races on Speed I keep watching with that Rouch Mustang in front of the Turner M3?

Steve

Liked
    165 times

And we're calling you out on comparing the M3 and the mustang.

We're on different pages on what handling means. Mine includes steering and pedal feedback, turn-in, curb manners, and all that fuzzy stuff.

One more think about the cornering and live rear axle praise you have been heaping on your borrowed mustangs, how much are your shocks worth? $5K? $10K? More? It's probably a safe bet that the stock shocks on the M3 are a smidge better built and better tuned than the stock mustang.

Also, if we are talking about track potential of the cars it's still kind of a B.S. comparison. First thing a racer will do is yank out all the luxury of a luxury car to save weight. Then after stripped weight you're comparing, what, how much room in the wheel wells the cars have for wide tires? It's kind of silly. The only person to seriously track/race a modern M3 has enough money to not care about writing it off, and probably enough money to not care about the price difference all that much.

I am not at all a status snob or any of that, and I probably would buy a new mustang (not bloodly likely) before a new M3 (never), but when you buy a porsche over a corvette, or a BMW over a taurus, or RWD over FWD, even though you what you get for what you pay steadily gets worse as you go upmarket, that money is almost definitely getting you a better car.
    Who are you arguing with

No one is saying that new M3 buyers and new Mustang buyers are the same demographic.

Liked
    2282 times

since this is a "track" forum.

definition of performance, whether power or handling is just LAP TIME.

there are other factors determines which is a better track car - reliability, durability, cost of maintenance, etc.. but if we are talking about performance, then lap time is all I would care.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 08-20-2010 at 10:49 AM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1477 times

since this is a "track" forum.

definition of performance, whether power or handling is just LAP TIME.

there are other factors determines which is a better track car - reliability, durability, cost of maintenance, etc.. but if we are talking about performance, then lap time is all I would care.
    Take a high hp heavy car that blasts down the straightaways and tippy-toes through the corners. Then take a lighweight low hp car that flies through the corners and can't do much on the straights.

Now assume that both cars do exactly the same lap times at WSIR. Is their "performance" the same? I think not.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    103 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Take a high hp heavy car that blasts down the straightaways and tippy-toes through the corners. Then take a lighweight low hp car that flies through the corners and can't do much on the straights.

Now assume that both cars do exactly the same lap times at WSIR. Is their "performance" the same? I think not.
    my goal would be to get the stang to dance in the corners and keep the power close to stock as to have a balance setup

Liked
    97 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post

And besides "performance," you also have to measure "fun". What's more fun, the former or the latter? If I can't afford both in one package, I'd rather take the latter, but that's just me.

Unless of course the Mustang doesn't tippy-toe in the corners and just turns like a champ. Can't imagine it turning as good as my Miata though

Liked
    143 times

I think it is actually harder to take a much heavier car and make it corner as well as a light car.

Virginia International Raceway, Grand West Course, 4.1 miles, Car and Driver, February 2010. You would think an Arial Atom would be faster than a ZR1. But it didn't.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...4&d=1265026546
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Silversprint View Post
    I think it is actually harder to take a much heavier car and make it corner as well as a light car.

Virginia International Raceway, Grand West Course, 4.1 miles, Car and Driver, February 2010. You would think an Arial Atom would be faster than a ZR1. But it didn't.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...4&d=1265026546
    I have been utterly underwhelmed by the many Aerial Atoms I have seen on track. I am much more impressed with the Lotus 2-eleven.
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 08-20-2010 at 03:06 PM.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    27 times

The 2-11 seems like a fantastic track car. Its a bit spendy, though.
    2009 Nissan GT-R -- nicely modded

Liked
    103 times

Quote Originally Posted by pucsicsal View Post
    And besides "performance," you also have to measure "fun". What's more fun, the former or the latter? If I can't afford both in one package, I'd rather take the latter, but that's just me.

Unless of course the Mustang doesn't tippy-toe in the corners and just turns like a champ. Can't imagine it turning as good as my Miata though
    well ive have a miata, and now i want the other side of the spectrum, heavy, long wheel base, high torque

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    well ive have a miata, and now i want the other side of the spectrum, heavy, long wheel base, high torque
    If you can sit tight for a little while Grey, I'll be buying a caged dirt oval car. Presumably the car can have the setup changed to turn both ways and do asphalt. For a reasonable fee you can experience slinging a big muscle car around a road course

Liked
    1477 times

If you can sit tight for a little while Grey, I'll be buying a caged dirt oval car. Presumably the car can have the setup changed to turn both ways and do asphalt. For a reasonable fee you can experience slinging a big muscle car around a road course
    Are you giving up Spec Miata, or doing both?

Liked
    103 times

yeah but i had plan for the stang to be my DD/occasional track car, cant DD a dirt oval late model

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    yeah but i had plan for the stang to be my DD/occasional track car, cant DD a dirt oval late model
    Actually you can, but it's not at all recommended. A local drives his oval car to the track and swaps the lights in and out.

Richard, I am doing it all.

Liked
    103 times

Actually you can, but it's not at all recommended. A local drives his oval car to the track and swaps the lights in and out.

Richard, I am doing it all.
    yeah im sure that'll go fine in LA traffic LOL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast