+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 1 year with a Ferrari (book, not me)

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by mlk_f1 View Post
    ~55% of the cars value per year is not that bad. I'm sure miata owners can easily spend over 300% per year.
    Yeap. Just changed tires and wheels on my $700 Miata. That's about 100% in 1 day
    Richard EVO likes this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1486 times

Over the past 5 years I have spent more on my C5Z06 racecar than on my Ferrari. If you can afford to race a car you can afford to own a ferrari. You guys are already doing it but too scared to add up your expenses.

Minimum cost of National race weekend at BRP:
    SCCA fees $500
    hotel $100 More if you stay at the Luxury Burgoon TownHouse Motel $$$55/nite$$$
    New Tires $1400 if you want to win Half that cost if willing to go slow over 2 weekends
    race gas $300 @$9/gal
    truck gas $125 round trip
    total about $2500.00

Last year I did a major service (once every 3 years) on my 12 cylinder Ferrari:
    timing belts $200
    tensioner bearing $600
    Waterpump rebuild kit $150
    Injector service $250
    fluids $125
    gaskets/filters $200
    other belts $100
    scrub set of R888's $300
    total about $1925.00

Liked
    1477 times

Carl -

There is a logical fallacy here. You are assuming that everyone who is an amateur racer or HPDE driver has the skills, time, and inclination to do their own mechanical work. You are capable of rebuilding a Ferrari engine. The most complicated thing I have ever done on a car is change the brake pads, and I did not enjoy doing it. How much would it cost for the maintenance you are talking about on your 550 (IIRC), if paying a competent Ferrari mechanic to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Over the past 5 years I have spent more on my C5Z06 racecar than on my Ferrari. If you can afford to race a car you can afford to own a ferrari. You guys are already doing it but too scared to add up your expenses.

Minimum cost of National race weekend at BRP:
    SCCA fees $500
    hotel $100 More if you stay at the Luxury Burgoon TownHouse Motel $$$55/nite$$$
    New Tires $1400 if you want to win Half that cost if willing to go slow over 2 weekends
    race gas $300 @$9/gal
    truck gas $125 round trip
    total about $2500.00

Last year I did a major service (once every 3 years) on my 12 cylinder Ferrari:
    timing belts $200
    tensioner bearing $600
    Waterpump rebuild kit $150
    Injector service $250
    fluids $125
    gaskets/filters $200
    other belts $100
    scrub set of R888's $300
    total about $1925.00
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1486 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Carl -

There is a logical fallacy here. How much would it cost for the maintenance you are talking about on your 550 (IIRC), if paying a competent Ferrari mechanic to do it?
    $3-5k for a major service and double the cost of parts. Friend I know spent $22k doing a biotchin major service and a bunch of "while you were in theres" on a 355. A valve job on a 355 could be $20k. An F1 pump on a 360 could be $10k. Replacement of ceramic rotors and pads on a 458 is $20k.

My point is many of you fixing your own racecar are Ferrari eligible. Richard, if you do buy that truck and trailer and ever get your FM to my house, over a beer and hotdogs I could teach you to do your own suspension alignments or brake maintenance and I bet you would have fun doing it. If you don't, well you got a free alignment or brake job. You got to aquire the skills, tools, and time to do it yourself and you might enjoy that precision aspect of the hobby. I started at 16y/o and I'm still aquiring the skills and I like that part of the hobby. There is also nothing wrong with paying and just enjoying the racing.

Liked
    1477 times

Carl -

I'll take you up on the beer, and for a ride in your Ferrari. I'd would enjoy discussing all this with you.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1486 times

Anytime Richard...

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    $3-5k for a major service and double the cost of parts. Friend I know spent $22k doing a biotchin major service and a bunch of "while you were in theres" on a 355. A valve job on a 355 could be $20k. An F1 pump on a 360 could be $10k. Replacement of ceramic rotors and pads on a 458 is $20k.

My point is many of you fixing your own racecar are Ferrari eligible. Richard, if you do buy that truck and trailer and ever get your FM to my house, over a beer and hotdogs I could teach you to do your own suspension alignments or brake maintenance and I bet you would have fun doing it. If you don't, well you got a free alignment or brake job. You got to aquire the skills, tools, and time to do it yourself and you might enjoy that precision aspect of the hobby. I started at 16y/o and I'm still aquiring the skills and I like that part of the hobby. There is also nothing wrong with paying and just enjoying the racing.
    I think I enjoy working on my cars as much or more than racing them. However I have a lift which makes the work far easier and more enjoyable than lying on your back. The Internet has made learning how to do your own work so easy thanks to people like Carl who post up how-to threads on almost anything you can imagine.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    545 times

See, I've always maintained that I'd never fly any plane I built or race any car I worked on. Keeps me somewhat safe

Steve
    Richard EVO likes this.

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ Wise choices.

Sir flink
    Liked
    552 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    I think I enjoy working on my cars as much or more than racing them.
    We should swap cars.

How's your afternoon been?

Liked
    641 times

Looks like fun to me
    That is pretty much how I spent last year and am ready to puke everytime I open my garage

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2