+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bellwilliam

Thread: 1.56 G Tires on a Porsche Turbo?

Liked
    858 times

Default 1.56 G Tires on a Porsche Turbo?

Kind of hard to believe 1.56 G's that is referenced in the link below for a tire the tire on the new Z28 (1.05 G's)

Pirelli Trofeo vs BStone RE-11 vs Hankook Evo-12 | Johnwmahler's Blog

Liked
    70 times

The trofeo's were the tires used on the controversial top gear test of the Pagani Huayra. The car posted a faster lap time than the Ariel Atom V8 and got called out by jalopnik or whoever

edit: found this
    Did The Pagani Huayra Cheat To Set Its Record Lap Time On Top Gear? (UPDATED: Pagani Responds)
    -Kevin M.

2010 Subaru WRX

Liked
    858 times

Just saw this on the Rennlistt forum:

If you want to know which street tires are best, check what the SCCA drivers in the Solo and ProSolo street tire classes are running. We do a lot of testing, and we are a gigantic group.

- Michelin PSS: good for rain and nothing else, dry grip better than PS2, but not as fast as MPSC. Nobody in the SCCA street tire classes run these tires.
    - MPSC N-Spec: all the problems mentioned here, plus low grip, except the 245/325 used in the 997 GT2 RS, RS 3.8 and RS 4.0. These specific sizes where found to be very sticky by Sport Auto, the German magazine .
    - MPSC race-spec: For the 997 wide body, 265/30R19 on 9" wheels and 345/30R19 on 12" wheels, the rear offset needs to stick to the inside 10mm more than stock (10mm higher offset value or 1/2" more back spacing).
    - Hoosier R6: 16 Heat cycles that's it. Any drive you do on them is 1 heat cycle, typical schedule on track days is 4 sessions, that's 4 heat cycles.
    - Hoosier A6: 8 heat cycles, I have run way too many of these ones.
    - Corsa System: as slow as the MPSC n-spec except the 245/325 n-spec. They were 1.5 secs slower than R888 on my own testing.
    - R888: I ran 5 sets in the Fiat, 2 in my Spec Boxster, 1 on the 997 GT3 RS. 20 HC, that's it. Anything over 20 HC and you're in for an ice driving show putting us at risk. I can touch them and know when they are toast, despite of a full tread look.
    - RA1: My favorite tire for street/track/auto-X. This tire made me quit the MPSC. I stopped running RA1 when my cars went to 19" wheels. I put 8,000 miles on one set of RA-1 with some track time and autoX time. They get faster as they get older.

I have not tested the Trofeo, but I seriously doubt the comments here about them being 2-4 secs faster than MPSC. This gap would make them faster than Hoosier R6, and all the SCCA, NASA, PCA club racers would be running Trofeos instead of R6, V710 or A6.

RE-11 are amazing despite of being heavier. I have data and lap times to prove it. Feedback on tires with no data doesn't help too much.

A fellow autocrosser tested for Grassroot Motorsports magazine a series of street tires. The Hankook RS-3 came clearly on the top, beating the RE-11, Kumho XS, Dunlop Direzza, Toyo R1R and Yoko ADV-08. All these street tires have far superior grip than anything else out there.

For hot days the RE-11 are not good. But the Yoko (as Peter-85Gold said) behave well in hot conditions. However, the RS3 will be my tire of choice when the time comes to replace my RE-11, the RS3 likes heat, it actually needs to be warmed up to stick well, and it is a full street tire, not a race tire. I have been talking to owners of the RS3 and they just stay fast. They make RS3 sizes for the 997 on 19" wheels, a 235 front and 305 rear.

For the full thread: Pirelli Trofeo or Michelin Sport Cup? - Page 3 - Rennlist Discussion Forums
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 04-27-2013 at 11:23 PM.

Liked
    660 times

There is another catch with the data.Just as an example from my data,WSIR 8 steady state is around 1.6 G,but there are spikes to 1.8 G.So it depends which number one will take,both are "legit".

Liked
    858 times

Hoosiers?

Liked
    29 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    Just saw this on the Rennlistt forum:

If you want to know which street tires are best, check what the SCCA drivers in the Solo and ProSolo street tire classes are running. We do a lot of testing, and we are a gigantic group.

- Michelin PSS: good for rain and nothing else, dry grip better than PS2, but not as fast as MPSC. Nobody in the SCCA street tire classes run these tires.
    - MPSC N-Spec: all the problems mentioned here, plus low grip, except the 245/325 used in the 997 GT2 RS, RS 3.8 and RS 4.0. These specific sizes where found to be very sticky by Sport Auto, the German magazine .
    - MPSC race-spec: For the 997 wide body, 265/30R19 on 9" wheels and 345/30R19 on 12" wheels, the rear offset needs to stick to the inside 10mm more than stock (10mm higher offset value or 1/2" more back spacing).
    - Hoosier R6: 16 Heat cycles that's it. Any drive you do on them is 1 heat cycle, typical schedule on track days is 4 sessions, that's 4 heat cycles.
    - Hoosier A6: 8 heat cycles, I have run way too many of these ones.
    - Corsa System: as slow as the MPSC n-spec except the 245/325 n-spec. They were 1.5 secs slower than R888 on my own testing.
    - R888: I ran 5 sets in the Fiat, 2 in my Spec Boxster, 1 on the 997 GT3 RS. 20 HC, that's it. Anything over 20 HC and you're in for an ice driving show putting us at risk. I can touch them and know when they are toast, despite of a full tread look.
    - RA1: My favorite tire for street/track/auto-X. This tire made me quit the MPSC. I stopped running RA1 when my cars went to 19" wheels. I put 8,000 miles on one set of RA-1 with some track time and autoX time. They get faster as they get older.

I have not tested the Trofeo, but I seriously doubt the comments here about them being 2-4 secs faster than MPSC. This gap would make them faster than Hoosier R6, and all the SCCA, NASA, PCA club racers would be running Trofeos instead of R6, V710 or A6.

RE-11 are amazing despite of being heavier. I have data and lap times to prove it. Feedback on tires with no data doesn't help too much.

A fellow autocrosser tested for Grassroot Motorsports magazine a series of street tires. The Hankook RS-3 came clearly on the top, beating the RE-11, Kumho XS, Dunlop Direzza, Toyo R1R and Yoko ADV-08. All these street tires have far superior grip than anything else out there.

For hot days the RE-11 are not good. But the Yoko (as Peter-85Gold said) behave well in hot conditions. However, the RS3 will be my tire of choice when the time comes to replace my RE-11, the RS3 likes heat, it actually needs to be warmed up to stick well, and it is a full street tire, not a race tire. I have been talking to owners of the RS3 and they just stay fast. They make RS3 sizes for the 997 on 19" wheels, a 235 front and 305 rear.

For the full thread: Pirelli Trofeo or Michelin Sport Cup? - Page 3 - Rennlist Discussion Forums
    This is helpful info and is for auto x, with the exception of the stated R6 4 sessions for track days, correct?

Any data/info/thoughts on the BFG R1, R6, NT01, Hankook TD for track days?

Thanks

Liked
    660 times

Quote Originally Posted by loose caboose View Post
    hoosiers?
    nt01,255/40/17

Liked
    48 times

Its pretty easy to get total BS readings out of an accelerometer I would assume that from anything done by a magazine or similar.
    Andrew M Brilliant
    Aerodynamicist / Race Engineer

Liked
    858 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    nt01,255/40/17
    Impressive. Do they really heat cycle better than "the rest"?

Liked
    2320 times

Most info are good. Except

RS3 is a bit 2010. Rival
    RA1 is a bit 2002. I also hate it that they need to be shaved. NT01 or RR
    Spettro likes this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    660 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    Impressive. Do they really heat cycle better than "the rest"?
    That is the best track day tire by far,and most people using it will confirm.I had a set of Toyo 888s on the front and set of NT01s on the rear for a period of 1.5 years when I was doing 2-3 laps and 1-2 sessions per day because my car was braking constantly.Toyos were stone hard and no grip whatsoever,70% of the thread was still there.The Nittos I have corded recently and they had acceptable grip still in them.I would guess 40+ heat cycles and still not cycled out.
    Also,i see a very good wear of the Nittos.I have close to 3 degree camber and some toe out on the back,and close to 4 degree on the front and they still wear relatively evenly,not cording the inside edge.From what I've heard from guys using Hoosiers,with my settings they will cord the inside in a heartbeat.
    I am curious to see what the new Maxxis would do ,once available,but it would be hard to beat the NT01s.

Liked
    29 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    That is the best track day tire by far,and most people using it will confirm.I had a set of Toyo 888s on the front and set of NT01s on the rear for a period of 1.5 years when I was doing 2-3 laps and 1-2 sessions per day because my car was braking constantly.Toyos were stone hard and no grip whatsoever,70% of the thread was still there.The Nittos I have corded recently and they had acceptable grip still in them.I would guess 40+ heat cycles and still not cycled out.
    Also,i see a very good wear of the Nittos.I have close to 3 degree camber and some toe out on the back,and close to 4 degree on the front and they still wear relatively evenly,not cording the inside edge.From what I've heard from guys using Hoosiers,with my settings they will cord the inside in a heartbeat.
    I am curious to see what the new Maxxis would do ,once available,but it would be hard to beat the NT01s.
    Thanks for the info.

I have used many sets of RA1's over the years and loved them. I have since gone to the NT01 for quite a while and also think very highly of them.
    I would be interested to see how the RA1 shaved would compare in a head to head with the NT01. I think it would be very close.

I too am interested to see how the new Maxxis RC1 compares.
    I know there are quite a few people who have tested them.

** Anyone out there tested these? Can you give us some feed back?

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread