+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: “Cash for Clunkers" bill heads to president’s desk

Liked
    2282 times

Default “Cash for Clunkers" bill heads to president’s desk

“Cash for Clunkers" bill heads to president’s desk today 6/18/09

“Cash for Clunkers” Agreement

Consumers may trade in their old, gas-guzzling vehicles and receive vouchers worth up to $4,500 to help pay for new, more fuel efficient cars and trucks. The program will be authorized for up to one year and provide for approximately one million new car or truck purchases. The agreement divides these new cars and trucks into four categories. All mpg below relate to the values displayed on new vehicle window stickers.

Passenger Cars: The old vehicle must get less than 18 mpg. New passenger cars with mileage of at least 22 mpg are eligible for vouchers. If the mileage of the new car is at least 4 mpg higher than the old vehicle, the voucher will be worth $3,500. If the mileage of the new car is at least 10 mpg higher than the old vehicle, the voucher will be worth $4,500.

Small Trucks (and SUVs): The old vehicle must get less than 18 mpg. New small trucks or SUVs with mileage of at least 18 mpg are eligible for vouchers. If the mileage of the new truck or SUV is at least 2 mpg higher than the old vehicle, the voucher will be worth $3,500. If the mileage of the new truck or SUV is at least 5 mpg higher than the old vehicle, the voucher will be worth $4,500.

Large Light-Duty Trucks: The old vehicle must get less than 18 mpg. New large trucks (pick-ups and vans weighing between 6,000 and 8,500 pounds) with mileage of at least 15 mpg are eligible for vouchers. If the mileage of the new truck is at least 1 mpg higher than the old truck, the voucher will be worth $3,500. If the mileage of the new truck is at least 2 mpg higher than the old truck, the voucher will be worth $4,500.

Work Trucks: Under the agreement, consumers can trade in a pre-2002 work truck (defined as a pick-up truck or cargo van weighing from 8,500-10,000 pounds) and receive a voucher worth $3,500 for a new work truck in the same or smaller weight class. There will be a finite number of these vouchers based on this vehicle class’s market share. There are no EPA mileage measures for these trucks; however, because newer models are cleaner than older models, the age requirement ensures that the trade will improve environmental quality. Consumers can also “trade down,” receiving a $3,500 voucher for trading in an older work truck and purchasing a pick-up or van weighing between 6,000-8,500 lbs.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2282 times

great deal if you have an old car you want to get rid off. it must get less than 18mpg, you must of owned it for more than 1 year, it must be currently registered.

Passenger Car
    Minimum Fuel Economy for New Vehicle - 22 mpg (EPA combined)

$3,500 Voucher Mileage improvement of at least 4 mpg
    $4,500 Voucher Mileage improvement of at least 10 mpg

Small Truck
    Minimum Fuel Economy for New Vehicle - 18 mpg (EPA combined)

$3,500 Voucher Mileage improvement of at least 2 mpg
    $4,500 Voucher Mileage improvement of at least 5 mpg

Large Light-Duty Truck (6,000 – 8,500 pounds)
    Minimum Fuel Economy for New Vehicle - 15 mpg(EPA combined)

$3,500 Voucher Mileage improvement of at least 1 mpg
    $4,500 Voucher Mileage improvement of at least 2 mpg
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 06-19-2009 at 02:44 PM.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

CRG-Rotax Warrior Moving Chicane's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    great deal if you have an old car you want to get rid off. it must get less than 18mpg,
    I'd like to know who gets to "classify" the MPG rating of the vehicle being turned in, or is it per the original window sticker's MPG?
    Already Gone.

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by Moving Chicane View Post
    I'd like to know who gets to "classify" the MPG rating of the vehicle being turned in, or is it per the original window sticker's MPG?
    Gotta be based on the original EPA estimate from when the car is new otherwise this could become a monumental catastrophe.

Liked
    1477 times

Maybe I'll sell my Vette.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    0 times

but you have to buy a new car to get the voucher?

BOOM!Tough Actin Tinactin minorthreat's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

yep. voucher only goes towards buying a new car from a dealer ship. way of stimulating the economy
    Jairo "Hido" J

Gamble It Films!
    http://www.GambleItFilms.blogspot.com

Liked
    1429 times

Not popular with everyone...

http://www.car-part.com/cashforclunkers/

Liked
    258 times

hmmm.... maybe its time for a new tow vehicle...

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Not popular with everyone...

http://www.car-part.com/cashforclunkers/
    I can't imagine why car-part.com would be against a bill that puts new cars on the street and takes used cars that need parts off the street...

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by gofaster View Post
    I can't imagine why car-part.com would be against a bill that puts new cars on the street and takes used cars that need parts off the street...

Well duh, but read this part:

"In its current form, the Cash for Clunkers Temporary Vehicle Trade-In bill would prohibit recyclers from harvesting and selling engines from vehicles receiving an 18 mile per gallon or less rating."

So.... no junkyard engines for guys racing V8s on ovals? That's not very cool...

Liked
    0 times

http://environment.about.com/od/cash...r-clunkers.htm

Question: What Happens to Old Cars Under the Cash for Clunkers Program?

Cash for Clunkers is a federal program designed to stimulate U.S. auto sales and help the environment by providing an economic incentive for consumers to replace old, low-mileage vehicles with new, fuel-efficient models that are safer and emit less pollution and fewer greenhouse gases.
    Answer: Dealers would send the Cash for Clunkers trade-ins to a salvage operator. The legislation requires the engine, transmission and other drivetrain components to be destroyed so they can’t be reused and continue to pollute the air and burn excessive amounts of fuel.

Salvage operators would be free to resell other vehicle parts, however, which could be used to repair other vehicles or recycled as scrap and used to manufacture other products.

Liked
    2 times

you must of owned it for more than 1 year
    so much for turning in the subaru

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by gofaster View Post
    Salvage operators would be free to resell other vehicle parts, however, which could be used to repair other vehicles or recycled as scrap and used to manufacture other products.
    Do you realize how much of the market this will close out to them? It will be a huge hit on their business model. It will likely put many of them out of business. It will put and to Pick-A-Part for example. Any car that they have in inventory will be the last ones. Any of you who have shopped there or anything similar for the most part you won't have that option any longer.

For those needing a new Spec Miata engine, Mazda RX7 rotary or a good old fashioned jeep engine for rock crawling will be done. Nada, nilch, zero. You might as well turn in that track or race car you have as it will be done once the parts run out.

And what about restoring all those cool old cars? The ability to restore vintage and classic cars will be largely finished.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Do you realize how much of the market this will close out to them? It will be a huge hit on their business model. It will likely put many of them out of business. It will put and to Pick-A-Part for example. Any car that they have in inventory will be the last ones. Any of you who have shopped there or anything similar for the most part you won't have that option any longer.

For those needing a new Spec Miata engine, Mazda RX7 rotary or a good old fashioned jeep engine for rock crawling will be done. Nada, nilch, zero. You might as well turn in that track or race car you have as it will be done once the parts run out.

And what about restoring all those cool old cars? The ability to restore vintage and classic cars will be largely finished.
    Yes, Chicken Little, the sky is falling.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Yes, Chicken Little, the sky is falling.
    I hope you don't need too many more Optisparks!
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I hope you don't need too many more Optisparks!
    I hope not either, but if I do, I can buy a new one from an aftermarket manufacturer that makes them with features better than OEM because there is a demand. That's where I bought the one I'm putting in the car now.
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 06-20-2009 at 11:32 AM.

Liked
    2282 times

The program is only good till November. So it is short term
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1477 times

The program is only good till November. So it is short term
    But it's proposed by a Democratic administration/Congress, so surely it will lead to Armegeddon.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by bikeindirt View Post
    hmmm.... maybe its time for a new tow vehicle...
    BID - so you finally found this site. When are you bringing your Miata out to run with us?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast