+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Suzuki Swift Sport (not a rental)

Liked
    47 times

Good work! Good thinking leaving the intake manifold on the head. Look forward to the pics.

Liked
    17 times

All photos are also in my facebook album.

Checking the marks on the chain.

The exhaust seemed to be off by one tooth. Dunno why, but it makes no sense. The new chain was fitted according to the manual (the mark pointing to the middle of the blue link)

Just in case we forget how it looked before we removed the cams

One the top of cylinder 2, the gasket showed signs of blowby, can also sortof see it on the cylinder. wasn't able to get a good picture of it though.

A lot of parts that needed to be removed to access the headgasket

Upskirt

Grinding away the carbon som we can measure the head for straightness. Workshop kitty was not amused

Slow and gently

Trying to fit a 1/100 (0.01mm) under the straightedge. Didn't fit

Still looks good

The straightedge was a bit too long for the enginebay, but got one crossmeasure and it looked good.

The valve seats didn't look too too bad, and we didn't really have time to fix them all anyway...

closeup

Changing the valveseals

New headgasket

Torqued and tightened to spec the headbolts

One bolt on the sump snapped. My mechanic knew a trick to get it out. The snapped one on the head was drilled out

Also stripped one of the holes in the AC-mounting bracket. Drilled it and put in helicoil. But it was past midnight and i was too tired to take any more pictures

All in all we used 4-5 hours on Wednesday and Thursday, 11-12 hours on Friday and Saturday.
    But we took lots of breaks and wasted a lot of time because we where unfamiliar with the car and procedure.
    deng likes this.

Liked
    17 times

Haven't seem any problems yet, so it looks like headgasket fixed the issue.
    Put the car in winterstorage, as winter is right around the corner here. And that means heaps of salt on the road. (no joke)
    Luckily my car got a spot close to the door, so I will get it out early next season.
    And we can get to it during the winter to fit the new spoiler

Also I'm considering replacing the entire ABS-unit with a wilwood Proportioning valve, I'm not getting the confidence I want from the brake pedal.
    But worried I might set of the dashboard disco lights, and get a smattering of faultcodes. Thoughts?
    deng likes this.

Liked
    17 times

New year, new upgrades

Ordered some part for the car to hopefully prevent engine problems in 2018.
    A Blitz radiator, standard size but thicker and all aluminum
    34row oilcooler (with AN-lines, fittings and thermostatic sandwitchplate)
    a oil-pan baffle, don't think I had starvation issues, but have more grip planned for 2018

I was contemplating an even bigger oilcooler, i could actually fit a 72row one
    But in case I need/want a gearbox cooler, i decided on a slightly smaller one. Still way bigger than all the kits I've found (usually 10rows).

I'm also working on a small arduino display to keep an eye on oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, and gearbox temp.
    If anyone is familiar with arduino programming and can-bus interfaces, please let me know, I have many questions
    But as for now it will be a stand-alone display using dedicated sensors (probably k-type thermocouples, as normal thermistors kinda suck, and it's nice to have a water temp sensor that goes from -200 to 1200 C)

This probably won't be installed for another couple of months, as my fabricating friend is busy building his own 4-500hp miata (there is already 2 400+hp miatas at our workshop)

Liked
    17 times

Finally got the car out of winter storage. The alternator har gotten stuck and started turning the belt into smoke and dust. Persuaded it a bit with a wrench and that got it turning. Seems ok now (but i need a new belt).
    Also got a new headunit for the car and have dropped my rims off to get a set of new R888R

Have a lot of parts that needs to be installed before i want to do another trackday, but atleast the car is back on the road

Liked
    17 times

New set of R888R in a slightly wider dimension for this year. Seems to be a bit less noisy than the R888 i ran last year
    20180505_111701_preview.jpeg

Also got a really cheap TMPS kit from ebay. It's the kind thats installed inside the tires on the valve stem. Update frequency doesn't seem to be very fast so not sure how useful it will be....
    Pardon the dirt/mess, haven't gotten around to do the full spring cleaning yet (and yes, i will drop the pressures a bit more, to about 2bar)
    20180506_133238_preview.jpeg

And new headunit. Looks miles better than the last one. And it has better bluetooth functionality so I can run torque with bluetooth OBD2 reader. Also has built in 4g, so I can use spotify on the road
    20180506_132004_preview.jpeg

Liked
    17 times

Had some more work done to the Swift. Replaced the stock radiator with a Blitz full-alu one. Temps are now stable at 88 degrees, which is right in the middle of the thermostat range.
    Also replaced the AC-condenser as it looked to be leaking (green tracer fluid was showing in the corner)
    blitz radiator.jpg

Also had the pleasure of being invited to a charity trackday for Kids with cancer foundation.
    They get exemption from the height restriction of the track and all cars on track have passengers from the foundation.
    The fire department, police and paramedics also rocked up with some cars, and took them out on the track.
    Kinda weird to overtake a police car with it's lights and siren on...
    It's not a day to chase laptimes or anything, it's just to give the kids a fun day. And by the looks of alle the smiling kids, they did indeed have fun

Mari-anne_hagen.jpg

Jim_dokken_3.jpg

Helge_Knudsen.jpg

FB_IMG_1526896066437.jpg

Also, it looks like the new swaybars and more camber helped get the most out of the new tires.
    The car feels much more planted now and i can't wait for the next trackday when i can really start pushing
    20180521_203554.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3